Changing parts form 2 PC's(troubleshooting) [URGENT]

flyingcow

Shibe
hey guys
my old pc is having problems it doesnt boot up, no display , checked woth GPU and with mobo vga didnt work. removed ram, replaced rams tried 2-3 diff. rams didnt work. placed no ram and booted, no sound or beeps (which come from the pc when faulty ram inserted etc)
i think that the mobo is dead but the cpu fan spins and opd works, leds glow....its an old compaq pc, with e7400(wolfdale) and ms 7525(boston) mobo with OEM 180W psu. stock cooler. i dont know whats wrong but i think the mobo is dead, no warranty. or psu is faulty, but its running hdd fans etc

fortunately i got another old pc lying around in my fathers old office, not sure aboutits specs but psu is a HCL 250W psu and about 512 mb ram the mobo says intel d865gsa not sure about the proccy
these are really old components and i have no knowledgwe about them, both have the same socket??

so i took the HCL psu(office ps) and plugged it to my PC and powered it on (the hcl psu has 20pin and my mobo has 24 pins) but i placed it properly but the CPU fan made a loud fking noise and spun rapidly i got scared sh!tless:shock: and switched it off, id like to know what is wrong with my pc i have spare parts to check each component but that would take too much ttime and hence i want expert opinoins please hel[p!!

EDIT: also i tried keeping the power button pressed to clear the cmos battery but it didnt work should i make like a breadboard ant test with both mobos and psus??

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
hey guys
my old pc is having problems it doesnt boot up, no display , checked woth GPU and with mobo vga didnt work. removed ram, replaced rams tried 2-3 diff. rams didnt work. placed no ram and booted, no sound or beeps (which come from the pc when faulty ram inserted etc)
i think that the mobo is dead but the cpu fan spins and opd works, leds glow....its an old compaq pc, with e7400(wolfdale) and ms 7525(boston) mobo with OEM 180W psu. stock cooler. i dont know whats wrong but i think the mobo is dead, no warranty. or psu is faulty, but its running hdd fans etc

fortunately i got another old pc lying around in my fathers old office, not sure aboutits specs but psu is a HCL 250W psu and about 512 mb ram the mobo says intel d865gsa not sure about the proccy
these are really old components and i have no knowledgwe about them, both have the same socket??

so i took the HCL psu(office ps) and plugged it to my PC and powered it on (the hcl psu has 20pin and my mobo has 24 pins) but i placed it properly but the CPU fan made a loud fking noise and spun rapidly i got scared sh!tless:shock: and switched it off, id like to know what is wrong with my pc i have spare parts to check each component but that would take too much ttime and hence i want expert opinoins please hel[p!!

EDIT: also i tried keeping the power button pressed to clear the cmos battery but it didnt work should i make like a breadboard ant test with both mobos and psus??

intel d865gsa does not support C2d e7400. that mobo support ddr rams only. the ms 7525 support ddr2 only, so dont try to swap rams.
if you have another spare compatible mobo ,check with it

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
intel d865gsa does not support C2d e7400. that mobo support ddr rams only. the ms 7525 support ddr2 only, so dont try to swap rams.
if you have another spare compatible mobo ,check with it
yeah, i checked about the socket later...
but ddr wont even fit, right?

i did the paperclip test of both PSU and both gave +ve results but my pc's mobo was very quiet, only fan was spinning(i guess its due to very less load.

do you know whythe fan is spinning so fast when diff. psu is connected to mobo?? is it normal??

i tried both PSU with officee pc and none of them are giving beeps even after removing both rams,.....
i mean (pcn= new pc) and pco=old pc
1.both pcn and pco are giving no beeps after both rams removed. (tested with both PSU)
2.tried booting pcn with pco psu, fan spun very fast

BOTH psu passes the paperclip test, both psus spun both mobos fans.
what do i do now??

and oh btw by test with another mobo what do you mean??

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
you should connect speakers in order to get sound from mobo. try to connect external speakers.

get a compatible mobo. put your cpu and check whether it boots.

Its fixed now -_-, i was such a noob, the old psu was at FAULT! and after connecting the new psu, the fan(heatsink) spun so fast because i hadnt connected the power to the cpu socket, i only connected the 20 pin :facepalm: and hence no beeps were heard :ashamed:
the old PSU is dead, i was thinking the mobo is dead and was gonna replace it :shocked:...

now that i have changed psu system has successfully booted into the BIOS. thank you very much :D

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Its fixed now -_-, i was such a noob, the old psu was at FAULT! and after connecting the new psu, the fan(heatsink) spun so fast because i hadnt connected the power to the cpu socket, i only connected the 20 pin :facepalm: and hence no beeps were heard :ashamed:
the old PSU is dead, i was thinking the mobo is dead and was gonna replace it :shocked:...

now that i have changed psu system has successfully booted into the BIOS. thank you very much :D

glad to know that the problem is solved ;)

Top Bottom