change partition size

smartmind0007

Broken In
hey frnz,, need some help.
i have sata hdd 320 gb (win xp) with d:\ = 200 gb and c:\ = 100 gb. thats about too much space for c, isnt it? can i change the partition size to make c:\ worth 10gb and move the rest to d:\ without formatting or losing data??? thnx in advance.. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@anupupadhye13: dont make C: just 10GB...coz if u install lots of softwares & games then keep C: 60~80 GB atleast...

to make partition use partition wizard (but do keep a backup of data...will save a lot)

OP
S

smartmind0007

Broken In
changed partition size using partition wizard.. nice s/w with a friendly interface.. kept 258gb for d:\ and 40 for c:\... 15 gb is still free in my c:\.. so i thought a total of 40 will be enough. thanx for helping... :)

sygeek

Technomancer
Here's what you should have done:
C [Local Disk] - 50GB
D [Program Files] - 100GB
E [As mentioned] - 100GB

Just make sure to change the default installation directory to D:\Program Files

You still have 50GB left at this point. You can do whatever you want with this.

You can't change C to just 10GB, you need at least 20GB worth of space. 50GB is recommended.

abhidev

Human Spambot
so i hv just c drive of 500gb....i want to add one more partition(D) and divide them as C-150gb and D-rest of the available space....so does this s/w be able to do it???

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
changed partition size using partition wizard.. nice s/w with a friendly interface.. kept 258gb for d:\ and 40 for c:\... 15 gb is still free in my c:\.. so i thought a total of 40 will be enough. thanx for helping... :)

glad to know that partition wizard really helped u a lot...:grin:

so i hv just c drive of 500gb....i want to add one more partition(D) and divide them as C-150gb and D-rest of the available space....so does this s/w be able to do it???

yup..very easily just use the software first...:grin:

OP
S

smartmind0007

Broken In
Here's what you should have done:

You can't change C to just 10GB, you need at least 20GB worth of space. 50GB is recommended.
why change default installation directory?? correct me if i am wrong but when u install smthing, some filess get copied to the OS drive, isnt it??

sygeek

Technomancer
why change default installation directory?? correct me if i am wrong but when u install smthing, some filess get copied to the OS drive, isnt it??
Because it is better to not mix them up. After changing the installation directory, most of the softwares will use it as their default installation directory. Only if the program specifically asks to be installed in a particular folder, it will use the other drive. Most don't.

Top Bottom