Change File size!

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
many times it so happens that wen we d/l something if the d/l breaks in between the file(wen right click->prop)shows the full size rather than actual(d/l is incomplete).so my questuon is why this happens???
2ndly is the reverse posible,meaning can a full file be made to LOOK smaller through some hex editing(5mb to 500kb)??(retaining the remaining part of the file intact)

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Yes Bro. Windows need to make sure that there is enough space available for the file need to be copied so it reserve that much space. (only when it knows the size of file in advance).

This case is different when you zip/rar file from network.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
ashish got a point.....may be if you cud play around with the way explorer calc's the file size....
@blade....the file will occupy the same space as b4..but it will only show as a smaller file...

DukeNukem

Come get Some
as long as the file u are talking about is a MPG, AVi, WMV one

or any video

then use the appropriate cutter to trim the file till it is working

it is a OK tested and duke approved method

for else i havent try and for binary (.exe,.......) files, its not possible (as little as i know)

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
^^^ He's not trying to bring down the size but fool Computer into showing incorrect size ...

Lemme add an observation to this ... when you start downloading a torrent file it creates a file folder structure and blocks space for the files downloaded. Now if you look at the properties of the folder it'll show the size which it should achieve on download completion. At this point there is nothing in folder no data but it still occupies huge space ... How does it fools the computer into believing that the data is there ....

I've seen some 2 MB .Rar files for complete Vista CD's which take some 2.5 GB on extraction but contain nothing .... I guess those are blank torrent folder structure compressed with Winrar ....

I might be completely incorrect here ..... can nyone please shed some light on this ..... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom