Cellphone for less than 8500 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugger

Banned
Hi,
Need to buy a new cell. Started looking around for suitable model yesterday. This time around I started looking for phones in the <= Rs. 10000 budget.

Things I need this phone to do:
* Replace my 3rd gen iPod Nano
* Take pictures
* casual reading of PDF files
* Some casual video recording

While going through the other old brnd cellphone I also came across the newer Indian Company, but made in China-types cell
Among the others, 2 that I quite liked & was much lower than the max limit of my budget were - Micromax Q75 and MVL Q81

Some reviews of the MVL Q81 phone and condiering the price, gave it satisfcatory marks
Techtree review:
Techtree.com India > Reviews > Mobile Computing > Mobile Phones > MVL G81: Push-mail Phone
review on Cell Guru
*www.tubaah.com/details.php?video_id=151746

Another phone that got good reviews on Cell Guru was the Intex IN 6633
Video of the review
YouTube - Quick Review - Intex 6633
Tech2 review
Intex's New IN6633 Handset Features 2G Supported Video Chat and Wi-Fi > News on Value Mobile > Tech2.com India

Intex Raises the Bar in Dual SIM QWERTY Phones > News on Mobile Phones Mobile > Tech2.com India

I also found the Spice M-7070 within my budget, though it has features I did not initially plan on having in my cellphone. But condiering the price-feature comparison, i think it makes for a very VFM purchase. Also compared to the other 2 cells Spice mobile, being an older company should have better support in India [unverified - got to check]
Tech2 review
Spice M-7070 Dual SIM GSM + GSM Mobile Phone > Reviews > Mobile > Multimedia > Tech2.com India

After intitall condiering touch screens like Lemon i717 and some others decided against buying a touchscreen, entry-level or otherwise. It is carreid to the Gym & also when i go running - sweaty hands in 1 place & at the other place i keep my cell on the ground and find dust and creepy crawlies crawling over it - both are bad for touch screens i think

Regarding the Spice cellphone, am unable to confirm if it handles PDF files, though it has an eBook reader. Some review says it can read only TXT files [MVL G81 runs PDF] - Any confirmation if the Spice phone can handle PDFs.

Also since it can handle Jav apps can I not install a PDF app if it does not natively support PDF reading?

*img816.imageshack.us/img816/8823/20100905cellbuyupload.gif

A more detailed spec comparision between the 3 cells
*img97.imageshack.us/img97/8561/cellcomparison.png

Any other cellphone recommendations?

Help selecting a suitable cell would be greatly appreciated.

List of all phone I had started considering. However after I took a look at the first Indian Company chinese manufactured low-cost high features phone I stopped updating or adding models from the old brand foreign companies

*spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApLHkic88qkpdFlacWtHYTNILWlmdjd6VzNDaGlxX2c&hl=en&output=html

Red means i liked it

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
are u sure that u want to go with these indian brands...
cuz there build quality is not that good nor are they as good at music as the foreign brands..nor is th UI that user friendly
and if u do buy indian brands u can get a phone according to your needs for much lesser than 8.5k

and spice M-7070 is the best of the the indian branded cellphones

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
are u sure that u want to go with these Indian brands...
cuz there build quality is not that good
I agree. If a phone [say MVL] has features in it that are usually found in models costing 4 times the amount [say Nokia], obviously its implementation will not be as good as the expensive model and user-experience will be functional but a little flawed.

However for the same price as that of MVL, the phone I can buy from Nokia will have far lesser features & can do less with it [even if i want to do it only casually & ocassionally]

nor are they as good at music as the foreign brands..nor is th UI that user friendly
in my ipod, I put songs on shuffle and go about my business without bothering to change the songs or do anyhting else - only other function I use is the pause button when i want to stop it. Surely these phones I am looking at can do that much :)

Regarding quirks in the UI, I think after using it for a week or so one gets used to it and does not mind it very much later. How bad can their UI be?

and if u do buy indian brands u can get a phone according to your needs for much lesser than 8.5k
Any suggestions?

and spice M-7070 is the best of the the indian branded cellphones
i too think so :)

Can anybody clarify on Spice Mobiles 7070's ability to run PDF out of the box. If it does not then are their Java apps that I can install to view PDFs

Thanks

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i was talking abt the quality of music which is not the same as a pmp
and i've used spice and micromax and there are too many quirks for me to handle
but looks like u're willing to adjust

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
but looks like u're willing to adjust
^^
i'll see - will go to check them out tomorrow. Will decide only after i try them out

Will post an update about experiance

In the meanwhile,

Anybody recommending me a phone with the following requirements?

* 8500 budget
* 3MP+ camera
* reads PDF
* plays movies & songs
* at least 8 GB of memory
* video recording ideal but not a necessity
* No touch screen
* Form factor not an issue
* FM radio playback
* Brand not much of an issue, as long as it comes with warranty, legit IMEI number & service centres in India

Budget should indicate, willing to compromise a bit on interface for features :)

Pathik

Google Bot
The Nokia C5 should be perfect for you. Even the E63 is a good option except for the camera, it's only 7.5k now.

Or wait for the Huawei Ideos, it should be around 7k, runs Android 2.2.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The Nokia C5 should be perfect for you. Even the E63 is a good option except for the camera, it's only 7.5k now.

Nah. not C5. The display is too sharp. SE Zylo or Nokia 5235 etc are better phones.

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
No time to go cell hunting today :|

Had included the C5 in my spreadsheet above. But it has a 2.2" screen - feel it is a tad small for reading, I think. So not very enthused - keeping it in mind

Had it been available today, quite frankly would have gone for it. But Google sez will come to India only in November - too far away. Also regarding going for a 3G phone, Airtel will roll it out only in December & rates in the first year or so too would probably be too high - no real need for 3G at the moment, so I dont think will go for 3G at those rates.
So considering that I am not interested in 3G at the moment & anyway I plan to use this phone for 2-2.5 years max, am thinking of not even spending 8500 on the cell at the moment

Picked up Digit this month - gave the Intex IN6633 good reviews - good sound, good camera [sub-5000 willing to accept a 2 MP camera]

Aslo the folks at NDTV say the keypads & build feels good and not cheap. Best of all has a 3.5 mm Jack - replacalbe headphone

Next phone purchse in 2012 could be a 3G/4G :) With the money saved this time around [nealry half the intended budget] could buy something else [Amkette's TV device comes in mind ]

Created a table listing out specifications of the phone

*img15.imageshack.us/img15/3646/intexin6633.gif

Some queries remain regarding the pohne
List of queries regarding the Intex IN 6633.

* Does installed Nimbuzz access Twitter or does it have a dedicated Twitter app
* Can it handle PDF files out of the box or are their apps available to do so
* Can it play radio without headphone
* Heating issues, if any [for Digit people only]

Wll mail Digit folks & Intex tomorrow if no reply recieved till then

suggesstions and inputs most welcome :)

TIA

the_souvik

Addicted
Answers to slugger's Query
Nimbazz can be installed as a java application .
No pdf support. Not as a java application also.
No radio without headphone.
No heating issue untill extensive use.

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
Best bet will be to go for Nokia C3 or E5. Both have qwerty.
Thanks for reminding me about the C3. Had included it in my spreadsheet for adding its specs for comparison later. But forgot all about it - big mistake :)
C3 feels perfect @ Rs. 5500 [willing to consider a 2 MP camera even at 5500 only if it happens to be a Nokia - its an exception]
Looking at the comments on some blogs, it looks like it may not be available right now in India - will check it out tommorow - definite purchase for that price

Nokia E5 costs nearly 20K - twice my budget

@the_souvik
Thanks for the clarifications - much appreciated :)

No PDF reading ability is a big minus point for me while selecting a cellphone to buy. So, can its eBook reader only read TXT? just when i thought i found the phone that fit the bill.....

------------------------------------------
Update:

Found that Nokia C3 doesn't read PDF out-of-the-box. Can install free apps to run PDF, right?

Last edited:
OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
Received a reply from people at Intex - no confirmation of any app that would allow me to view PDF files in the Intex 6633

Dear Customer,

Thank you for showing your interest in INTEX Product and Services.

For your information with e-book reader your can read only .txt files not .pdf files. Further we do not guarantee its operation with use of any free software. For your information this handset support java applications.

Looking forward for long lasting relationship with you.

With warm regards,

Intex Care | Intex Technologies India Ltd |
| Toll Free: 1800 103 8822 | Intex, Desktop Computers, affordable, latest, Computer Parts, DVD, LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Speakers |

Nokia C3 not yet available here; likely to arrive by the end of this week
Also considering X2 now - 2.2" screen
Ovi store has no app for making any of the 2 phones read PDF

Is it not possible to install MobilePDF for Java or some other similar apps on any of the Java supporting phones?

israramrelia

Broken In
Received a reply from people at Intex - no confirmation of any app that would allow me to view PDF files in the Intex 6633

Nokia C3 not yet available here; likely to arrive by the end of this week
Also considering X2 now - 2.2" screen
Ovi store has no app for making any of the 2 phones read PDF

Is it not possible to install MobilePDF for Java or some other similar apps on any of the Java supporting phones?

Go for Nokia x2 dude.... awesome VFM..... got it a week back....

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
Is the Huawei Ideos now available in India?

Was also checking out the Spice Mi-300. Although it is touching 10000 [9990] - nearly 1500 over budget, the fact that it has a capacitive touchscreen along with Andoid 2.1, largish screen [good to read] and a decently performing 5 MP camera, seems quite good a deal. what say

BTW, would the Mi-300 read PDF out of the box in Android or if not, are there free apps using which I can make it do so?

Was also looking at the Huawei U9130 - QWERTY @ 7000 - seems like a good deal too

Also, can I not upgrade the OS to Froyo or Gingerbread in the phones?

Are there any other capacitive touchscreen phones in the sub-10K range? If I am to buy a touchscreen, then I'd like to go in for a capacitive one only - no resistive

Please suggest the cheapest phone in the sub-10K price point that will satisfy all the criteria

Repeating them all again for clarity

* 8500 budget [*max* 10K ideally incl the 8 GB SD card]
* 3MP+ camera
* reads PDF
* plays movies & songs
* at least 8 GB of memory
* video recording ideal but not a necessity
* [strike]No touch screen[/strike] If touchscreen, it has to be capacitive
* Form factor not an issue
* FM radio playback
* Brand not much of an issue, as long as it comes with warranty, legit IMEI number & service centres in India

Can't delay purchase any more - phone may become completely unusable in a week or two

Thanks

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
just came back from visit to some mobile stores. Checked out the X2 and C3.
The X2 does not have a proper keypad - it is just etched on t the font panel of the phone.

Liked the C3 more than the X2. Can get the C3 for 5600 +700 for a 8 GB MicroSD. Total 6300

Is it a good deal? Shall I go for it? Regarding ability to read PDF files, MobilePDF Reader can be installed, according to the Nokia support forum. Also found some solutions for reading PDF in a 6300 from the same forum - i think it should work in the C3 too - please correct me if wrong?

All in all I think 6300 is a good price to pay for the C3+8GB MicroSD. Please correct me if wrong

Thanks

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
came home a few minutes back with a Nokia C3.

Got the whole thing for 6350. Mobile guy said if I add 50 bucks more he will give me an uncleji-type mobile pouch that apparently costs 150 bucks elsewhere

Important point though, if you are not interested in using the phone in other languages, then maybe you would want an English handset.

Mine, as it turns out is a multi-lingual phone with devnagari & bengali alphabets printed on the keypad along with english - looks untidy & bit shabby to me - not a deal breaker for me but I wish i got a different model

All the Hindi/Bangla font phone probably have this sticker on it - mine does

*img440.imageshack.us/img440/9672/photo00021.jpg

Haven't tried much else now. But playing some audio, realized that the default audio player probably does not allow me to jump to a particular portion of the audio - hope i'm wrong - would be quite a b1atch trying to listen to 7hr long audio w/o the ability to jump to specific portion of the audio

Hoping to find some Soundmagic PL-11 earphones to go with it - few shops I checked had got only Skull candy and Philips :(

Also got some free Internet from Airtel over GPRS - 12 GBs spread over 6 months. But as I tried to surf, a few minutes later, was informed that 6 bucks had beeen withdrawn for XXX KB of data transferred - stopped then and there

Will check it out - if I can't figure it out then will post it here

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ congrats on the purchase.

where have you brought it from? if some local shops, Nokia priority dealer may have the standard ones.

skull candy is good too but what models avl?

also about the 12Gb thing. you need apply for new sim i guess. same was offered with Nokia 2700 Classic brought for mom (Aircel talktime free).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom