CD-RW Tray not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

VexByte

Norms Buster
I'm having a sparingly used 2 year old SAMSUNG CD-R/RW(SW-252B) which is configured as Secondary Slave. The problem with the Samsung CD-R/RW is that the tray will never open when we are in need of that drive. It may open after 4-5 hours or sometimes 4-5 days !!!

Two years ago, I've got the entire Writer replaced under warranty because of this problem. But it almost fine till the completion of the warranty. After that, the same problem persisted.

I've always heard that Samsung Optical Drives were of inferior quality. But there is no other problem with the drive other than this. The CD Writing/Reading is almost perfect.

So what is the solution for this problem ?

Should I move it to the junkyard ? OR is there any other way out ? :confused:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'd say put it in Junk and vow never again to buy samsung optical drives. Except a lucky few almost everyone who's bought a Samsung drive has either faced a problem with tray or with reading the media.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
My LG CD-RW (4 years old) also has this problem for the last year or so.
Problem with alignment.
(though i always always use the button on the drive or a hotkey to eject or insert)
btw, if you are in dire need of opening the tray, shutdown your computer and poke a pin into the small point in your drive below the tray. It is used to manually eject the tray if something is stuck. Do it for the rare emergency :p

Kniwor

Learner
hey u know how to open it don't you, just use the emergency open method, the one u use when the power is off, just use it no big deal, just inconvenience though

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
VexByte said:
I'm having a sparingly used 2 year old SAMSUNG CD-R/RW(SW-252B) which is configured as Secondary Slave. The problem with the Samsung CD-R/RW is that the tray will never open when we are in need of that drive. It may open after 4-5 hours or sometimes 4-5 days !!!

Two years ago, I've got the entire Writer replaced under warranty because of this problem. But it almost fine till the completion of the warranty. After that, the same problem persisted.

I've always heard that Samsung Optical Drives were of inferior quality. But there is no other problem with the drive other than this. The CD Writing/Reading is almost perfect.

This usually happens when people have a habit of pushing the tray to close instead of pressing the button, which results in the tray alignment getting screwed up. Since the read/write capabilities are fine you can use a paper clip (one that we use in offices for holding paper) straighten it and gently insert it in the tiny hole provided in front of the DVD. But ur local hardware vendor can help fix it for you...once of my friends had a similar problem with Sony Drive and he got it aligned back with the local computer hardware technician...he charged him Rs.50/-

s_aerin

Too hot for this forum.
i think its a power supply prob. if the pins are not aligned properly, this happens. reseating the molex connector usually helps.also, look for a firmware update for the drive.

prasad_den

Padawan
I'm not sure if this works... but I've heard people say that the drive will respond if there is some medium present in it...!! So always keep some non-bootable disk in your drive. When you want to use the drive, replace it with the disc you want to use.. In other words, always keep the drive loaded with some disc..!!

casanova

The Frozen Nova
tech_your_future said:
I'd say put it in Junk and vow never again to buy samsung optical drives. Except a lucky few almost everyone who's bought a Samsung drive has either faced a problem with tray or with reading the media.
Agree with it. 2 years is a lot of time. Go for a dual layer dvd writer now. 2000/- is what it will cost u.

Third Eye

gooby pls
VexByte said:

Its time to buy a new CD-RW and don't go for samsung again.
Buy either LG or BenQ

shantanu

Technomancer
i think the Drives Magnet is dislocated.... take it to a mechanic ,, he will just take 100-150 from you or less also... and he will do it in a couple of hrs.

then appl;y some vaseline on door sides and your drive will be ok.. otherwise BUY a new one.. :)

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
Placing a disc solves the problem in most cases. Place a plastic disc (the one that is kept on top of discs in the 100 CD Boxes) in the tray when not in use. Your problem should be solved :) .

yashved

Broken In
I have the same problem with my CD-R Drive. If your drive is still not opening, do this:

Push the button of the drive and immediately after that just give a gentle pound on the top of the your cabinet/CPU (i.e. provided you have the drive at the topmost slot). The Drive will open by doing this in most cases.

Once opened, put either a non-bootable disc or a plastic disc or put a spare disc upside down in the drive and keep it inside when the drive is not in use.

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
i hav the same prob(thius a general problem of samsung drives).....what i do is keep a pin in the emergency opener and push it whenever required...:)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
i think placing a plastic disc in the drive may cause unnecessary strain to the lens assembly which will be trying to read it. Pl correct if I am wrong.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Same problem with my (alas Samsung) drive also ... I just punch it once or twice and the tray comes out now ..

lalam

In the zone
I already dumped my samsung cd rw drive for this and even worse i started having that problem just 3 months after purchasing now its sony.....Well lite-on drives has receive good reviews from digit.....

casanova

The Frozen Nova
..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
In my case (read above), punching or slapping the drive also helps. :D.
I'm serious :p

Its quite common. I used to face problem with my lg writer, at times the try opened only after restarting.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
casanova said:
Its quite common. I used to face problem with my lg writer, at times the try opened only after restarting.
What is common? Punching and slapping?

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
In my case the problem is fully opposite..... My samsung writer tray come out without any cause.... And whenever i insert some discs for reading it comes out again and again automatically..... Sometimes when i surf net or playing games it comes out...... But i also notice that when i write something on blank disk or booting with live linux cd , still now tray dont came out automatically.... And this type of problem i found also with lg drives...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom