career options

evilwit

Journeyman
Hello

This thread is regarding my career.I am a 12th passout and I am spending these days helping in my dad's trading business.And I like to do it and it could get more intresting if the items in which we deal,were of my choice.(read:computer parts).Other things which are of my intrest are related to IT security.I like spending my time reading articles related to hacking and penetretion testing.And I consider it as my career option and to do that I need to study further and get enough qualified to get a job.After that I want to get settled in abroad and beacuse of this i have to study in abroad.And this what which is getting me crazy.Actually I have passed both 10th and +2 privately as it was very difficult for me get adjusted in school enviroment as I was bullied various times.And now I don't have any idea how will i react when i go abroad and will be left alone to study.So there are two i wanna ask you guys:
Am i worrying too much?Should i move on and try to adjust?if you are from abroad and study there,hows your experience?
how is the salary structure of the this job?Will i be paid enough to live a good life?for how much time will have to struggle?
Is trading a better career option for me?if i do trading i will do my grad too(corespondence).
Thanks

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Why do you want to go abroad? To me, it makes no sense at all. All relatives, family, friends, everyone is here and for this reason even if a job pays me higher than what I can get here, I will not go there. Secondly, there is something patriotic which makes me want to stay here. Third, does the money that sounds in millions here really mean anything abroad? Usually the cost of living in western countries is far more than Indian cost of living, so the high salary lets you have what you're having here only. Due to these reasons, it makes to sense to me. Try to think from these angles, and if you still want to go abroad, good luck.

If you plan to continue with the business - no matter dealing in what, computers or aeroplanes - I would say join a course which deals with managing, like BBA, BMS or whatever name colleges paint it with. Going for education related to computers(BCA, B.Tech or anything) would not help here, as you already know what you need to know. What matters here is the way you manage things. You might already be a good manager, but such courses would only help you to improve. Having knowledge about the field with poor managerial ability could be disastrous - Bugatti had great engineers and brilliant cars but got out of business in around 1939 due to some poor managerial decisions.

But if you think that you want a job instead of continuing business, join a professional course which would have a value in the market and also teach you things. I am not sure if you being a private candidate to board exams would be a problem in securing job or not, but what college you join plus how you perform will make a difference here.

I hope what I said is actually useful to you, and there are huge chances that I might be wrong and I would like to be corrected. :)

Good Luck.

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
Why do you want to go abroad? To me, it makes no sense at all. All relatives, family, friends, everyone is here and for this reason even if a job pays me higher than what I can get here, I will not go there. Secondly, there is something patriotic which makes me want to stay here. Third, does the money that sounds in millions here really mean anything abroad? Usually the cost of living in western countries is far more than Indian cost of living, so the high salary lets you have what you're having here only. Due to these reasons, it makes to sense to me. Try to think from these angles, and if you still want to go abroad, good luck.

If you plan to continue with the business - no matter dealing in what, computers or aeroplanes - I would say join a course which deals with managing, like BBA, BMS or whatever name colleges paint it with. Going for education related to computers(BCA, B.Tech or anything) would not help here, as you already know what you need to know. What matters here is the way you manage things. You might already be a good manager, but such courses would only help you to improve. Having knowledge about the field with poor managerial ability could be disastrous - Bugatti had great engineers and brilliant cars but got out of business in around 1939 due to some poor managerial decisions.

But if you think that you want a job instead of continuing business, join a professional course which would have a value in the market and also teach you things. I am not sure if you being a private candidate to board exams would be a problem in securing job or not, but what college you join plus how you perform will make a difference here.

I hope what I said is actually useful to you, and there are huge chances that I might be wrong and I would like to be corrected. :)

Good Luck.
Thanks man!!!It surely helped a lot.
Talking first about studying or settling in abroad.I want to do this because both of my sisters are married in abroad and in the long term even i would like to settle in the cities in which my sisters reside with my family as there is nobody to help me in the city where i live right now. This is true that living cost is higher in abroad than in India.So can you tell me rough idea of income which is considered to lead a comfortable life?

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Thanks man!!!It surely helped a lot.
Talking first about studying or settling in abroad.I want to do this because both of my sisters are married in abroad and in the long term even i would like to settle in the cities in which my sisters reside with my family as there is nobody to help me in the city where i live right now. This is true that living cost is higher in abroad than in India.So can you tell me rough idea of income which is considered to lead a comfortable life?

"abroad" is a very Broad term.
you need to finalize which institute you are going to join for your studies. which will automatically decide your City of living outside India.

but , first please be sure about what you actually want to do in life,
I t might happen like you want to trade buit have joined the institute and you won't want to waste the money and time you invest into it.
and it may also happen like you trade and then some years afterwords, you have a feeling like you should have gone for further stuidies.
whether living cost will be higher or lower entirely depends on the city. it might be lower(but yeah, very less chances :p)

about bullying and stuff, you got to control sometimes, cuz finally, you must have to stay between people and trust me, people feel more satisfied when they bully someone ,than when they help someone.

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
"

I t might happen like you want to trade buit have joined the institute and you won't want to waste the money and time you invest into it.
and it may also happen like you trade and then some years afterwords, you have a feeling like you should have gone for further stuidies.
about bullying and stuff, you got to control sometimes, cuz finally, you must have to stay between people and trust me, people feel more satisfied when they bully someone ,than when they help someone.
thanks buddy for the reply.it helps a lot when someone is in a dilemma.

regarding what I like,this is what which is haunting me these days.you may say after all i have to decide what i like or not.but to give you a rough idea of the situation let me give you a situation.Actually i like hacking,by this i mean i like hacking mobiles and computers and networks using different tools available on internet.but the other part is i dont like process of becoming a hacker.by this i mean i dont like learning languages,networks or linux etc.This is what, which confuses me.My dad says ,every jobs or very work has some boring parts but that doesnt mean we have to leave the job.but what is making me scared is that what if after some time spending money on my education i feel boring and feel like leaving it,my dad's hard earned will waste.I just dont wanna do that.Please help

Last edited:
OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
"abroad" is a very Broad term.
you need to finalize which institute you are going to join for your studies. which will automatically decide your City of living outside India.

whether living cost will be higher or lower entirely depends on the city. it might be lower(but yeah, very less chances :p)

Please reply

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman

Good Luck.

Kindly see my post and reply

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
thanks buddy for the reply.it helps a lot when someone is in a dilemma.

regarding what I like,this is what which is haunting me these days.you may say after all i have to decide what i like or not.but to give you a rough idea of the situation let me give you a situation.Actually i like hacking,by this i mean i like hacking mobiles and computers and networks using different tools available on internet.but the other part is i dont like process of becoming a hacker.by this i mean i dont like learning languages,networks or linux etc.This is what, which confuses me.My dad says ,every jobs or very work has some boring parts but that doesnt mean we have to leave the job.but what is making me scared is that what if after some time spending money on my education i feel boring and feel like leaving it,my dad's hard earned will waste.I just dont wanna do that.Please help
are you giving me just a situation or you are really like that ?

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
AFAIK, "being a hacker" or the job of a Computer hacker (network, Database, Software, etc) does include lots of coding and linux too.
the tools available on the internet are what the Software programmers have made.
I think no real hacker can perform just by using them.
coding is fun. I know very little coding, but it is fun, did you try learning any language by yourself? (i mean the internet :p )

- - - Updated - - -

and nipun has said things which should have already solved the problem, IMO.

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
AFAIK, "being a hacker" or the job of a Computer hacker (network, Database, Software, etc) does include lots of coding and linux too.
the tools available on the internet are what the Software programmers have made.
I think no real hacker can perform just by using them.
coding is fun. I know very little coding, but it is fun, did you try learning any language by yourself? (i mean the internet :p )

- - - Updated - - -

and nipun has said things which should have already solved the problem, IMO.

Yeah I started learning C online but left it in middle.the thing is when I used to log in into my computer, I used to do other useless random things rather than learning C.i used to say myself that I will do it later.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
Yeah I started learning C online but left it in middle.the thing is when I used to log in into my computer, I used to do other useless random things rather than learning C.i used to say myself that I will do it later.

If that is the case, I feel - and it's just my opinion - that you might not be genuinely interested in coding/programming languages. If this is true, I would advice you against choosing a career option involving it.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
If that is the case, I feel - and it's just my opinion - that you might not be genuinely interested in coding/programming languages. If this is true, I would advice you against choosing a career option involving it.

also same.
UNLESS this is just a case of procastination which many of us do, (its not good, we should avoid it)
do you also feel the same about other things as well ?

- - - Updated - - -

and i think having a target and reason for learning C might have been better.
Like maybe to create a program in C such that the user playing the "Cross and zero game" can never win,
that would eventually, push you to learning things.

i'm not telling you to start learning C with the above target.
i'm just saying, make a target and then learn everything that comes in between. that way, you got to stay focussed.

Top Bottom