Can't figure out the problem, help required!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arun_0710

At Learning Steps
I have an intel celeron 1.0 ghz pro. with intel 810 chipset mother board, and 2 128 mb ram (133mhz), i have installed xp sp2.
Now the prob is that whenever i try to rewrite any file (maybe any image or word docu.) by saving it, the system gets restart.
I had tried reinstalling xp that couldn't solve the problem. thinking now it maybe some hardware prob.:confused::confused::confused:
HELP REQUIRED!!!!:neutral:

shantanu

Technomancer
maybe your RAM is going bad.. try running your computer on a single chip, try to install the first chip then run your comp and then the second one.. this way both your chips will be checked.. :) , if this is not the case then check your SMPS.. :)

anand1

In the zone
try to reset your BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and the jumpers for few minutes and then reboot with default settings.

OP
arun_0710

arun_0710

At Learning Steps
i had checked with the ram but the prob. still exists, it shows a full 256 mb of ram when installed with 2 ram, how do i check the spms fault.:confused::(

shantanu

Technomancer
i told you to check with single chip :) not both of them at the same time.. sometimes one ram is faulty but the comp. works fine coz of the other.. and try to borrow your friends SMPS and install it on your comp. or get a new one for Rs. 350 or so a 400Watt intex or any.. :) and say the dealer that you will return it if the problem remains the same.. :)

vish786

"The Gentleman"
have you connected something to your usb ?
like today when i connected my 40 Gb hdd thru usb then tried to "Empty Recycle Bin" system automatically gets restarted but after removing from usb system works fine. (just incase a sol if u have connected any hardware to usb, remove & recheck)

OP
arun_0710

arun_0710

At Learning Steps
i had tried with checking the single ram individually, both the ram are working fine, i had checked with another smps also, neither any usb device is attached to my system, but the problem still persists. next???

sashijoseph

In the zone
If it happens randomly,could be a motherboard problem,which is actually quite common with aging capacitors etc.But before taking it to the local hardware guru,strip down the system to the minimum(no pci cards etc) and observe.

shadow2get

In the zone
I think that sytem getting restarted whenever you are trying to save, maybe due to BAD/Aging RAM modules. Why don't you do some tests for only the RAM?

Try the following softwares for checking your RAMs. You might need to burn onto a CD/DVD or Copy/Install it to a Floppy.

Memtest86
Download Page: *www.memtest86.com/download.html
Download Floppy Installer: *www.memtest86.com/memtest33.zip
Download ISO: *www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.3.iso.zip
Instructions: *www.memtest86.com/tech.html

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Download: *oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe
Instructions: *oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Follow the instructions from the website for Running appliction/Checking for errors.

NOTE: You might have to make sure 1 RAM module is present when testing. Also Longer the test runs, better the chance of finding faults/errors.

Let us know of the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom