Can't delete folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Cheers All,

Runouce virus ruined my PC, which I hadn't formatted for 3 years. I was to celebrate its 3rd anniversary, but heck they dint like me. Thats past. Here is my new problem. I had formatted C drive and installed WinXp SP2 with Kaspersky AV. I'm facing a strange problem here.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab

In the above location, I can create as many as folders I want, but can't delete any. I'm logged in with Admin account. Tried with multiple Admin accounts, still cudn't delete. All other folders are perfectly fine. I removed all the permissions and readded the owner i,e myself, still can't. I had shared this folder on network with full modify permissions to network users to check, still can't. Had various Admin users on my PC take the ownership and delete, can't. Its driving me nuts since I have my 30MB+ of updates to copy to Bases folder, which usually holds the Antivirus Defs.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

praka123

left this forum longback
get a knoppix linux live-cd and boot it,mount ur ntfs/vfat partition containing the virus,delete it.thats all.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Did you try to shut down Kaspersky and then delete the folder? btw which folder do you want to delete? All those folders must be related to kaspersky.

You can also try Unlocker to delete it.

OP
__Virus__

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
@The first reply

Thanks buddy, but I don't have any Virus now. The problem is more or less related to Vishal's reply.

@Vishal

Yes, I did try that keeping in mind KAV must be acting strange while running in the background, even restarted in the Safe mode and tried. I took the complete ownership of C drive and tried, but still can't, this is driving me nuts.

PS:

I'm not trying to delete the KAV folder itself. The path mentioned in the folder above is where I created folders, and unable to del.

PSS: For some strange reason, I was being greeted with a delete message option when I clicked Edit this post.

Last edited:

mayneu

Journeyman
hi virus....
i think this software may be useful fo ru. just try once.... its called unlocker..
its a free software. just install it.and go to the folder which u wanna delete it. right click on that folder. in that menu, u will see unlocker option. just click that. another window will popup regarding what u want to do for that folder. then it will also show which programme is currently using it.
then just choose the kill process option from the bottom option... and then it will be deleted or will say that it wil be deleted once u reboot it...

ur job will be done.... once i was in ur situation..its quite irritating to get that error message ..... i found it by googling fo rthe answer..... enjoy.

V

vaibhavtek

unlocker will help.

Ur name is __Virus__ so real Virus has attacked u...!!!

OP
__Virus__

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Its quiet broader than what we think the problem might be. I'm pretty sure its related to KAV only. I've tried unlocker, I've tried safemode, I've tried what not. I'm not bothered about folders residing there, but just that it makes me feel that I dont own my PC. I'm trying something now, will keep you all posted.

47shailesh

Security Exp
^^Hmm, Sounds weird.. I too have KIS installed on my machine. I was able to create and delete folders in the location you specified. And when you try to delete in Safe Mode KAV/KIS plays no role as it is not running in background. Look in msconfig for some strange statrup service or post HijackThis log here. Booting from other OS a then deleting is not a solution as your system may be on risk which has to be determined and removed.

OP
__Virus__

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Here are the findings. I take back my Safe Mode statement from my first reply. The problem (or more or less, a security) is realted to KAV or KIS itself. It doenst allow any deletion of folders once created nor does it allow any files to be copied to the main folder, no matter what extension it be. Once I logged my PC in Safe Mode, I was able to delete the folders/copy files. The same goes after I uninstalled KAV for testing purpose. Interestingly another very good fact, I copied two files to the KAV folder in Safe Mode, one clean other infected. Started my PC in normal mode and Kaspersky auto deleted the infected file, but din't allow me to delete the normal file :D wohooo!! wata master protection!! I simply love this AV and have got no regrets as such purchasing this AV :D!

Thank you all for writing. I got acquainted to a great utility called Unlocker :D

PS: Anyone knows the reason behing gtalk installer staging the "Uninstall Google Talk" feature under "Support" category?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom