can't change back to windows 8 hp pavillion g6

netizen3000

GAME ON !!!
Hi guys,
I was helping my friend to down grade my friends hp pavillion g6 laptop to windows 8. We had problems booting the disk(the disk wasn't listed as bootable device) but then in internet we saw that legacy boot mode has to be enabled so we did that and it solved the problem of booting. Then while installing we used custom mode(because my friend has important files in the other drives) and we deleted all partition except the partition containing the data to be saved. But after that we coudn't create a new drive it says can't create a partition with some error. we tried reducing the size of new partition it did n't work. The we chose the recovery option and selected automatic recovery then rebooted to our surprise there was a drive created with additonal drives that we had deleted but with his all other data intact. Then we proceeded to install windows 8 into the the newly appeared drive but to our horror it shows an exclamation mark that windows can't be installed onto the drive because the drive is in gpt format. The only way through this is by disabiling the legacy mode from BIOS menu, but if we disable that then we can't boot to the DVD. So we are in a helpless situation please help guys.

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Please list the 'exact' error(s). It works better.

From where are you downgrading to Win 8?!

What version did the laptop originally come with? And what are you trying to install now?

Gollum

Collector
Hi guys,
I was helping my friend to down grade my friends hp pavillion g6 laptop to windows 8. We had problems booting the disk(the disk wasn't listed as bootable device) but then in internet we saw that legacy boot mode has to be enabled so we did that and it solved the problem of booting. Then while installing we used custom mode(because my friend has important files in the other drives) and we deleted all partition except the partition containing the data to be saved. But after that we coudn't create a new drive it says can't create a partition with some error. we tried reducing the size of new partition it did n't work. The we chose the recovery option and selected automatic recovery then rebooted to our surprise there was a drive created with additonal drives that we had deleted but with his all other data intact. Then we proceeded to install windows 8 into the the newly appeared drive but to our horror it shows an exclamation mark that windows can't be installed onto the drive because the drive is in gtp format. The only way through this is by disabiling the legacy mode from BIOS menu, but if we disable that then we can't boot to the DVD. So we are in a helpless situation please help guys.

To install from your pirated/custom disc, you will have to disable secure boot, this gets disabled when you disable UEFI Boot mode.
If the option exists in the BIOS, you can still use UEFI mode and disable Secure boot. But your custom/pirated OS disc should be UEFI compatible or it will not boot.
UEFI mode will enable secure boot, this disables booting from pirated discs and custom copies of OS's
With Windows 8, Microsoft has put very robust methods to curb Piracy.
If you want the original OS back, you will have to get the recovery discs from HP. In India, you have to pay for these.
If you are installing from a windows 8 original disc, you can install it in any mode as secure boot will allow it.

Now, coming back to your problem with GPT.
UEFI mode requires the HDD to have GPT partitions. MBR is for legacy OS's like win 7 and older. WIn 8 also works with it but only retail and OEM.
Since the HDD is already installed with GPT partition, All you have to do is format the Drive.
In many cases you may not be able to do so with the installation disc. You will have to rely on 3rd party software tools to format the HDD to MBR in order to install from your pirated win 8 disc.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
UEFI supports MBR partition too through legacy mode.Win 8 64bit however requires uefi when booting from a gpt partition.Create a win 8 uefi usb install using any of these methods(i recommed using rufus first):
How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8 | Next of Windows

bubusam13

Human
Is this is the exact issue you are facing ? "Then we proceeded to install windows 8 into the the newly appeared drive but to our horror it shows an exclamation mark that windows can't be installed onto the drive because the drive is in gtp format."
If it is, then there is an easy fix I use in my IBM servers to install windows without server guide.

OP
netizen3000

netizen3000

GAME ON !!!
Please list the 'exact' error(s). It works better.

From where are you downgrading to Win 8?!

What version did the laptop originally come with? And what are you trying to install now?
It says can't install windows because drive is in gpt format number,The laptop came with windows 8

- - - Updated - - -

To install from your pirated/custom disc, you will have to disable secure boot, this gets disabled when you disable UEFI Boot mode.
If the option exists in the BIOS, you can still use UEFI mode and disable Secure boot. But your custom/pirated OS disc should be UEFI compatible or it will not boot.
UEFI mode will enable secure boot, this disables booting from pirated discs and custom copies of OS's
With Windows 8, Microsoft has put very robust methods to curb Piracy.
If you want the original OS back, you will have to get the recovery discs from HP. In India, you have to pay for these.
If you are installing from a windows 8 original disc, you can install it in any mode as secure boot will allow it.

Now, coming back to your problem with GPT.
UEFI mode requires the HDD to have GPT partitions. MBR is for legacy OS's like win 7 and older. WIn 8 also works with it but only retail and OEM.
Since the HDD is already installed with GPT partition, All you have to do is format the Drive.
In many cases you may not be able to do so with the installation disc. You will have to rely on 3rd party software tools to format the HDD to MBR in order to install from your pirated win 8 disc.
Thanks,
Didn't know such complications existed with windows 8.

- - - Updated - - -

UEFI supports MBR partition too through legacy mode.Win 8 64bit however requires uefi when booting from a gpt partition.Create a win 8 uefi usb install using any of these methods(i recommed using rufus first):
How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8 | Next of Windows

Thanks,
I'll try that.

bubusam13

Human
Just press Shift+F10 in the drive selection window, go to diskpart, select partition and convert MBR. Done. Simple

Top Bottom