cannot change ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

veto_power

Right off the assembly line
Hi
We use a network with a proxy server and static IPs in my dept. I have a problem with this. Could someone help out.
I was recently asked to help out a friend's network problem on a sony vaio machine. This runs windows vista home premium. The problem is that a ip beginnig with 169 was getting automatically assigned to it. And try as I might I could not change it.
I connected the LAN cable, went to properites of IPV4 and manually set the IP address. However all this looked fine. The moment I run ipconfig from the cmd prompt I see that there has been no change.
Sony Vaio has a fast network switching tool. I used that to change the IP address. Everything looks fine but does not get applied. Thus the internet and the local network are not accessible
So my problem is that whatever change I make in the network configuration is not being applied. Has anyone had a similar problem and help me out?
Thanks in advance
veto

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows assigns an IP address of 169.254.x.x when it is not able to obtain an IP address from DHCP. You can say that the LAN is simply not working and something is wrong with the configuration.

Go to Command Prompt, and type this:
ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt

And kindly post the contents of the c:\ipconfig.txt file.

rocky_om

Sys***** IBM India.......
Hi,
Have u logged in as Administrator ? If yes . reinstall your LAN driver and change the network cable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom