I have got a newly built system with following specs

Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache,800MHz FSB

P5kpl-AM/PS Motherboard
*in.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=2507&l1=3&l2=11&l3=563&l4=0

2GB DDR2-800 Transcend

Samsung 22x SATA DVD Drive
*www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/product/94539-Samsung-SH-S223B.html

Seagate 320GB HDD (SATA 3.0 GBps)
*www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e7c048e03b758110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

The board has 4 sata connectors(SATA1,SATA2,SATA3,SATA4). I have connected the DVD drive on SATA1 and the HDD drive on SATA2.

The BIOS options for IDE/SATA storage devices are currently as
ATA/IDE Configuration: Enhanced (options are Enhanced/Compatible/DIsabled)
Legacy IDE Channels : SATA (Options are PATA,SATA and Primary PATA + SATA)

Also i have set the boot priority to boot windows XP from the dvd drive.

When i boot up, i am getting this message
"Reboot and select proper boot device
OR insert boot media in selected boot devices and press a key"

I have tried changing the settings to Comaptible mode and PATA/SATA/Primary PATA + SATA. But all of them fail to boot the Windows XP SP2 boot disk. The disk is in good condition and has been used many times before for installation.

I am not able to find out the solution to this problem. Please help me solve this problem.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Check if your CD/DVD drive is detected or not in the first place. Also if possible could you send a screen of the Boot Device priority screen. I think there's something wrong there!

OP
GigaHeartz

GigaHeartz

Off the beaten track
Thanks hell storm. By all manipulation of settings and sata connector position, i can detect both devices as following(shows up in the bios). I have even changed the device types to tell the BIOS that the TSST device is a cdrom and the seagate device is a HDD.

Setting-1
Primary IDE Master: (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S233B)
Primary IDE Slave: (ST3320613AS)

Setting-2
SATA-1: (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S233B)
SATA-2: (ST3320613AS)

Setting-3
Primary IDE Master: (ST3320613AS)
Primary IDE Slave: (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S233B)

Setting-4
SATA-1: (ST3320613AS)
SATA-2: (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S233B)

Which one among the above is correct?..

Also there are two options to enable ACPI APIC support and AHCI 2.0 support. Should i enable or disable them?..

All computer gurus please come forward. Pls advice me on this..

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 are same the combination, isn't it?? Anyways, Setting 1 and 2 should work! Even then you can select your boot option... Just press F12 at the POST screen and you would get a list of devices like HDD, CD/DVD ROM n all. Just select the one you need.

OP
GigaHeartz

GigaHeartz

Off the beaten track
I tried all options but cudnt get the damn sata dvd drive to boot. So finally installed Windows XP using a borrowed IDE dvd drive. Now the condition is such that the sata DVD drive is visible in the bios and the device manager inside XP. But it doesnt recognize any media (cd or dvd). I have flashed the latest firmware to this drive sucessfully but no success. Whenever i insert a disk and close the tray, the led on the drive just blinks 5-6 times and thats it. It just sits there like a piece of **** and doesnt even spin the drive.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
If its new... get it replaced. Coud be your DVD drive is a faulty piece to start with! One thing... there would be a SATA drivers in your mobo CD, have you installed that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom