Can you help me in overcoming the problem????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tushar_novice

Broken In
I am currently using Win 2k Professional and I really fed up using the windows.
Is there any way by which I can give 2k a boot and return to win ME without formatting the hard drive. I have huge amount of data so please don't ask me to copy the data onto other partition. Also give me the way by which I get remove the entry of win2k from boot menu and get there the entry of win ME.

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
Coming ahead is possible but pacing back in Windows ..is not possible as far as i know ...

Even i'm very eager to know the responses on this thread!!

indrajit

Journeyman
Rolling back is supported in most of the OS s of windows, but since Win 2k is a server based OS, it doesn't support that option. What I can suggest is, get a bootable CD of your desired OS, boot into your PC through CD, then delete and format your your system partition only, i.e. the partition in which win 2k is installed. Then recreate the partition and install the new OS in it. In this manner data in your other partitions wont be affected.
But remember, if at present your disk is in NTFS format then make sure the OS you instaled supports that format, or else those data can't be read. Best of luck!

OP
T

tushar_novice

Broken In
But Indrajit I mentioned that I have lotsa data i.e mp3s on my partition and they are the second thing I love after my girlfriend so I can't lose them. And they are in huge quantity so I can't write them on a CD or I'll be a ragged begger

indrajit

Journeyman
You've got your system partition full of mp3s? Then its a problem with the way I suggested. Could any how you arrange for any friend's hard drive to temporarily copy data form your HD? If not, then I can't think of removing Win2K from your PC without losing data. :!:

bharathbala2003

why need title?
ya do that.. better to copy to a friends HDD or mayb if u dont mind spendin bucks.. write em in a cd.. ull have em as back up for urself!! :D

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
If ur Win2k is not in ntfs . Try this

Just rename important folders ( winnt , programfiles , mydoc etc) and try installing Win Me

If ur in NTFS . no idea

Dont be so attached with MP3's , i used to download and cherish so many files and spend time like hell to protect them . that to seaching seperate sites for each file . only to have a friend , later give me his collection which he bought for less than 100 Rs , which had all my songs and more .

Plus why r u going south anyways ??? Winme is the most distructive i have seen . Atleast go in for xp updgrade which might also protect ur files . what is the prob u face in win2k anyway ??

psappuin

Broken In
Arre Brother!
ME tou bakwas hai. Waise acc. to me there is no way to roll back or degrade OS.
XP proffesional is the best.
Amit

OP
T

tushar_novice

Broken In
2000 is the worst OS. It keeps crashing every 5 mins.
You play mp3 it crashes. YOu play games it crashes You run softwars it crashes.
I liked ME more than XP pro as it takes less resources

bharathbala2003

why need title?
tushar_novice said:

wel wel.. first of all.. 2000 crashes awrite.. but not like how u said.. cos i still see many offices using 2000 or NT for their offices.. n they work fine.. secondly...

dont u know that XP has a FAR FAR BETTER GUI than ME??? isnt it right to take more resources??? when u get such GUI's it needs resources m8!!! :D

psappuin

Broken In
bharathbala2003 said:
tushar_novice said:

wel wel.. first of all.. 2000 crashes awrite.. but not like how u said.. cos i still see many offices using 2000 or NT for their offices.. n they work fine.. secondly...

dont u know that XP has a FAR FAR BETTER GUI than ME??? isnt it right to take more resources??? when u get such GUI's it needs resources m8!!! :D

Shi Bola Biddhu! XP tou jhakas OS hai!!!

OP
T

tushar_novice

Broken In
OYE
Yaar you all are talking about pros and cons of windows family.
Wat about my problem?
I am hanging here for the last 2 days.
Ok
tell me how to remove the entry of win2k from boot menu?
Also Since I use red hat linux so tell me the way to keep its entry in the boot menu.

I'll try and copy """"10.27"""""" GB s of data onto a friends disk.

But all my friends are SOBs they won't give me their hds.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
tushar_novice said:
OYE
Yaar you all are talking about pros and cons of windows family.
Wat about my problem?
I am hanging here for the last 2 days.
Ok
tell me how to remove the entry of win2k from boot menu?
Also Since I use red hat linux so tell me the way to keep its entry in the boot menu.

I'll try and copy """"10.27"""""" GB s of data onto a friends disk.

But all my friends are SOBs they won't give me their hds.

lol y dont u copy em to a couple of dvd's or cd's :wink:

sakumar79

Technomancer
The following details will be useful in determining the best course of action:
1. Processor and Memory
2. Hard Disk Partitions - Format, Sizes and Free space of each partition.

Before going into the process, a couple of points -
A. Win2k is, by nature, more stable than Win9x or WinME. IMHO, there are 2 possible reasons why your computer is crashing frequently - one is that your system is possibly not powerful enough to run Win2k, in which case you should go for Win98 or WinME; For ex, I am running Win2k on a system with Celeron 633 MHz processor and 128MB RAM. It performs reasonably well, though they run a bit slow with memory intensive programs. I would probably say that this is a borderline system for running Win2k successfully. The other is that there may be installation errors, registry errors, defragmentation problems due to a few years of use without using system maintenance tools. In this case, I would advise you to do a complete system maintenance (run disk defragmenter, and registry check software such as jV16 power tools), correct all problems, and then try to run the system for a few days. If you still have problems, go for a switch
B. Many people consider WinME to be the worst OS that MS brought out. I have never used it, so I cannot comment on it. If u have used it and are satisfied with it, go for it; otherwise, I would recomment Win98 instead...
C. Whether you format the data or not, when you change your OS, it is always advisable to take a backup of all your important data. Even when you are not changing data, it is advisable to take backups at regular intervals; since you never know when your HDD is gonna crash on you...
D. If you are low on HDD space, seriously consider purchasing a second HD. If not, you should move your music files into the other partitions. You can set the computer to run this process over night. One piece of advise is to keep your music and movie files in a different partition than your system partition. Reason is that as you add more of these, they tend to fragment your system rapidly and lower performance considerably. Since pretty much all applications do need system calls, when system partition is highly fragmented, all applications will slow down.

There is no straightforward way to remove Win2k and install WinME on your system without formatting that partition. TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK (may be after others more knowledgable than me have certified this). First, make sure your system partition is FAT32. If it is NTFS, use Partition Magic to convert from NTFS to FAT32 (requires 10% free space for successful operation). Boot into Linux and remove Win2k system files and folders (WINNT, Documents and Settings, boot.ini, etc). Then, make GRUB your default Boot Manager and remove Win2k entry. Then, restart your computer, reboot with your Win ME CD and install WinME on the system partition. If you dont get Linux booting option after this, download a third-party boot manager for Windows such as the free XOSL and enter Linux and reset to GRUB.

Will this work or not??? I am not sure... I doubt if you can find solution on the net.... Only choice? BACKUP and test it...

Arun

cool_techie

Broken In
boot from me cd and install it ....it installs in the same partition where 2k exist ..

Now start your pc in dos mode and type the command fix /mbr THis will give a dual boot option .

But by the time u doo all this u will not be able to boot into RH9 coz ur bootloder would be replaced.

U will have to repair ur RH9 again to get things back to normal..

I had serious troubles with ME when using internet ..Everything on teh sceen would be scrambled and a lot of crashes...

i think u better install winxp it rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom