Can someone give me information on DVD ripping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Whenever we have a DVD whether its a DVD5 or DVD9 what are the factors that decide the size. For example I have seen DVD Rips of size over 1 GB like 1.4 or 1.7 GB whereas I have also seen DVD Rips of size 700 MB. I think with the DVD Rips of size over 1 GB we have something called AC3. When I burn an AVI file(700MB) onto a DVD-R and play it on my DVD player I will not get the 5.1 Surround effect rite? However if I burn a 1 GB AVI file it may get a better sound effect but not as good as the original DVD. Please help me!

PraKs

Youngling
Well its just avi container & depends on the ripper.

I have seen movies with just 700 MB size & 5.1 sound.

Latest MKV Container offers it easily

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
if you like take a look at this one :) *www.chotocheeta.com/2007/08/22/how-to-make-700-mb-or-14-gb-1-cd-or-2-cd-dvd-rip/

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Chota Cheeta I have already visited the link given above. I just wanted to know the difference between the two types of DVD Rip. I think Praks can give me more detailed information on the same.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
ajayritik said:
Chota Cheeta I have already visited the link given above. I just wanted to know the difference between the two types of DVD Rip.

They all come in .AVI format ... but the internal codec is different.. for example you may use different video or audio codecs to compress a DVD (.vob) video to a 700 MB or any such RIP...

Now days apart from xdiv / divx there is another major codec which is in use for .MP4 format is x264 :) (H264/AVC/MPEG4)

if you have a RiP and want to have more info on the codecs used to creat that, please downlod a small tool called GSpot which gives full info on used audio and video codec for the certain video or audio file :)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Thanks for the info cheeta. I guess I will have to explore a little more about these things! Maybe I should try ripping some DVD's too!

ninad_xpress

Broken In
DVD-9 & DVD-5 are international standards codes given to DVD formats.
DVD-9 contains 8.5GB of data & are dual-layer DVD's. DVD-5 are normal single layer DVD's having capacity of 4.7GB. Now-a-days many companies use DVD-9 format DVD's to record movies because it stores more data & high quality videos.
Some basic information on Video files :
Video DVD's contain full high quality video in its original form(if its original one). Mostly its in DVD-9 form. The quality of the video depends on its data size & resolution & quality & form of audio used. In DVD's the video resolution used is high quality, i.e. eitherin PAL(Phase Alternating Line : 480x576) format or NTSC(National Television System Committee : 480x520) format. Mostly the DVD's which come from outside India are in NTSC format. So as the resolution of the video is large the video will take more data space,i.e. memory & disk space. So the PAL video takes more disk space than NTSC.

In DVD the Audio format is used in AC3(Adaptive Transform Coder 3) format. This files are very big in size & may contain multi-channel audio. It may contain even 12 channel or more of audio. Its used by Dolby Laboratories in all DVD's. Indian DVD's contain AC3 files having 448Kbps of audio.

DVD ripping :
Now you have enough knowledge on DVD Audio & video. So let's start with DVD ripping. DVD ripping involves compressing Audio & video in it. Compression of Audio & video does not means compression exactly but it has some different meaning. Audio & Video files cannot be compressed with any software like WinZIP or WinRAR, etc. They have to be converted from their original form to some other form. There are many softwares are available in the market to rip DVD's. Some of them are Dr.Divx, Magic DVD ripper, ImToo DVD Ripper,etc. Use any one of them & select appropriate output format which is clear & gives output in smaller size. Normally use H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format for output as it has all the best features for DVD ripping. Now a days MKV(Matroska) format is gaining popularity as it stores data like DVD, i.e. AC3 audio & subtitle files.
Process of DVD ripping :
As I mentioned before Audio & Video's have to be converted to reduce in size. DVD ripping softwares does the exactly same. They use codecs like H.264, divx etc. & reduces the resolution & clarity of video's from DVD's & converts audio files(AC3) from DVD's to MP3 or other similar formats by changing its BIT rates so this helps to reduce the file size of DVD's. The size of the output depends on the format selected & thus the original DVD video looks better than the ripped one's. Many softwares removes multi channel audio & keeps only stereo sound in video's. Thus the quality of audio & video depends on the ripper & the codec used.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Thanks for the info ninad express. Actually I got this doubt about DVD ripping the other day when I found a movie which had two different files both in AVI. The first AVI file was of size 700 MB and the other AVI file of the same movie was around 1.4 GB. I found a very little difference in the quality between both. If at all there was a little difference then the 700 MB file had slightly higher volume whereas the 1.4 GB one had a slightly better picture quality. The difference was negligible.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Ajya said:
I found a movie which had two different files both in AVI. The first AVI file was of size 700 MB and the other AVI file of the same movie was around 1.4 GB. I found a very little difference in the quality between both.

What type of Display are you using ??

I tested !!

a same movie, 400 MB x264 / 700 MB RiP / 1400 MB RiP / DVD5-DVD9 (.vob) / 9 GB HD 720p / 15 GB HD 1080p....

Display I used a 17" CRT (1280x1024) / 19" TFT (1440x900) / 24" TFT (1920x1200)...

with and upto 17" CRT there is no difference to be seen between any of this format...

but as soon as you shift to 19" TFT, you cant watch 400 MB x264 at full screen, 700 MB RiP can be seen but a lot of pixelized problem, same with 1400 MB but still its watchable.. you get the same effect of watching VCD at TV when you play DVD5 or DVD9... :p but the real run is when you play the HD 720p :D and with 19" TFT there is difference between 720p and 1080p :lol:

now comes the 24" TFT test, you cant watch even up to the 1400 MB RIP :( full screen, play DVD5-DVD9 still it headache :p... Also now you may make out difference between 720p HD and 1080p HD !!!!

So it all depends on what is your display and its running resolution :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom