Can i use266 and 400 DDR RAM together

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I had got two RAMs one is 256 MB DDR 400 and one that I got from by bro is 128 MB DDR 266. Can I use them together. I am providing all the details below. I am able to use them together but I will like to know it will be healthy for my RAMs or not. When running together they run at 133 MHz.

The details are->
--------------------------------------256(DDR 400)------------128(DDR 266)
Current Memclock (Mhz)----------------200-----------------------133
CAS# latency--------------------------CL=3.0-------------------CL=2.5
Row cycke time (tRC)---------------------11-------------------------9 Bus Clocks
Row refresh cyc time (tRFC)--------------15-----------------------10 Bus Clocks
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)--------------4-------------------------3 Bus Clocks
Row to Row delay (tRRD)------------------2-------------------------2 Bus Clocks
Min RAS# active time (tRAS)--------------8-------------------------6 Bus Clocks
Row precharge Time (tRP)-----------------4-------------------------3 Bus Clocks
Write recovery time (tWR)-----------------3-------------------------2 Bus Clocks
Write to Read delay (tWTR)----------------2-------------------------1 Bus Clocks
Read to Write delay (tRWT)----------------4-------------------------4 Bus Clocks
Refresh period (tREF)------------------2x3120-------------------2x2064 Cycles

If they can work together do i need to manually configure the above settings or not. If I have to then what should be the settings.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
they can run together i did not face any probs for 5 months, i was having a similar combo. after that i bought both modules of same frequency.

but some members say that this causes Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), but while i was using them, i did not see any BSOD

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I want to know because the DIMMs have diffrent CAS latency and other specification the 266 mhz ram has got less latency than the 400 one so if the RAMs are used together will they run only in 266 mhz or will have the cas latency and so adjusted to the correct settings.

I would like to know that which of the specificatios should be less or high for a better performing RAM

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
when the 400 RAM running at 266 MHz and having a CAS latency of 2.5 which is less than it's own CAS latency 3.0 will this not affect the 400 one.

Somebody Plz help me

Kniwor

Learner
U can run them together, both of them will be perfectly fine... the other ram will just be underclocked accordingly..
u DO NOT need to configure anything, just put them in, and they'll run fine, for as long as u want....

dabster

In the zone
Hey, I run into problems when i used 256MB DDR 333MHz and 256MB 400MHz,
While playing NFS it just restart by itself...And when I used only one RAM It would work fine.
Though for normal work it worked fine, and computer was stable.
i think that there could be some issues when using such combinations...

hi guys i have another problem, i have 2 modules of 128MB DDR 266 And 512MB DDR 333, and i am planning to buy a new one, so yet to decide whether to go for a 512MB DDR400 or 333.
I dont wanna sell my old 128 as i can have some extraa ram so, please resolve my problem

Kniwor

Learner
dabster said:
Hey, I run into problems when i used 256MB DDR 333MHz and 256MB 400MHz,
While playing NFS it just restart by itself...And when I used only one RAM It would work fine.
Though for normal work it worked fine, and computer was stable.
i think that there could be some issues when using such combinations...

can u play it fine on both of ur sticks... boz i seriously doubt this is ur problem , may be 1 of ur ram stick has some errors...

or u are overclocking one and running them ar 400Mhz something, have u set anyhting manually...???
tell me ur DRAM settings, post the cpu-z HTML report there

dabster

In the zone
Nope I never changed any settings in the BIOS or anything...And both the RAM sticks worked fine when used alone...
did that at my home so just can't manage the CPU-Z report...
One RAM stick was PC2700 and other one was PC3200...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom