Can I use Knoppix Live to delete Linux partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have a 80GB Hard disk. My HD has following OS

Win98SE (C, D, E, F)
PCQLinux 2005
Knoppix

Now I want to remove both the Linux OS and install PCQL cleanly again. For this, I intend to boot with Knoppix Live and delete all the Linux partitions (EXT3, Boot, Swap) with qtparted. Is that ok? Hope it won't create problems.

I don't care too much about MBR because anyway I am going to re-isntall PCQL and MBR will be overwritten. Or at most I can do fdisk /mbr to make it clean.

Please advise. Thanks.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
In that case what i suggest is that boot with PCQ and use the option to remove all linux inst on the disk and install. Alternativly just boot with knoppix live cd and detete all the linux partitions creating free space (unpartitioned) that will be used for PCQ.

firewall

In the zone
well i think you can delets/resize the partitions while installing PCQLINUX2005.

I think it will be more easier than the use of qtparted.
well its what i feel.

:)

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
I know I can do it during PCQ installtion itself. But will I face any problem if I use Knoppix Live and qtparted?

Qtparted is quite easy. Select the partition and delete. I will use the PCQL partitioning while installation :)

Additionally, in one of my Hard Disks, it tells me that it cannot undersand my HD geography and will have to initialise the drive, thereby deleting all data on it :shock: :shock: I really can't afford to do that!! So I am thinking about this procedure.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I have sometimes been unable to edit partitions with QTparted. (Did it work at your place when i came there? i dont remember!)
Maybe you'll want to use the cfdisk utility in that case.

h4xbox

Journeyman
am i right ... fips is also a partition managing stuph.. but dunno whether its as good as the two mentioned above

busyanuj

In the zone
@tuxfan, I'll suggest that you make the partition changes from within PCQLinux at the time of installation itself. No need to make the partition changes from Knoppix live cd, but if you feel comfortable with QTparted; then go ahead.

besides, you can prefer Fedora Core 3 itself instead of PCQLinux because IMO; PCQLinux is only a cosmetically modified FC3, the only difference being that PCQLinux is supplied with specific additional packages.

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
Yes, GNUrag it worked when you were here. That is why I thought of using that :) But I will see cfdisk and find out how it works.

The main question here is not how to alter the HD geography but whether it is possible to do what I am saying. I know things can be done during installation.

But can this be achieved with Knoppix Live and qtparted (or cfdisk)? If yes, it will be easier to convince people to install GNU/Linux on their HD. I will be able to assure them with confidence that I will uninstall it without any data loss if they don't want it :evil:

I will first try that on my machine and only then on some one else's machine. This seems to be the easiest way to uninstall GNU/Linux - delete partitions and rewrite MBR.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tuxfan said:
The main question here is not how to alter the HD geography but whether it is possible to do what I am saying. I know things can be done during installation.
hee hee.. that is Geometry, not Geography :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

grub

Broken In
I have a 80GB Hard disk. My HD has following OS

Win98SE (C, D, E, F)
PCQLinux 2005
Knoppix

Now I want to remove both the Linux OS and install PCQL cleanly again. For this, I intend to boot with Knoppix Live and delete all the Linux partitions (EXT3, Boot, Swap) with qtparted. Is that ok? Hope it won't create problems.

I don't care too much about MBR because anyway I am going to re-isntall PCQL and MBR will be overwritten. Or at most I can do fdisk /mbr to make it clean.
dear user
u can do so very easily as well as it will not create any problem to your mbr . and you can delete the grub/lilo boot loader from the memory using the command
Code:
        fdisk/mbr
note : only refresing the mbr will not delete the partition

ujjwal

Padawan
Go ahead and use qt-parted to remove the partitions :) it doesn't make a difference which partitioning tool you use ...

I will first try that on my machine and only then on some one else's machine. This seems to be the easiest way to uninstall GNU/Linux - delete partitions and rewrite MBR.

Yup its the simplest way, infact the only way I can think of.

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
GNUrag said:
hee hee.. that is Geometry, not Geography :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why Geometry? I feel geography is the right word. As there are boundaries with rivers, mountains and borders on the earth that divide areas, there are partitions on the HD. I don't believe in using the same terminology if I don't agree with it or till I agree with it :)

Anyway, lets not stray from the topic on hand. We shall discuss the right terminology later :) :roll:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
That is right,
I am planning to come to your place on this saturday. Am planning to buy a 1GB USB thumb. We'll tackle this problem then.!!!

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Just a passing thought:
Remember if buying a USB thumb check the throughput speed The best throughput speed is offered by kingston express. Its as fast as a hdd and you can use it as a primary OS holder. (One of the guys in our lab does that.)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
aye aye major saab,
I'll take care to consider throughput speed, tuxfan will guide me to good dealers anyways... but price and storage is more important right now than access speeds...

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
@GNUrag : Cool!! You are most welcome. :) At what time do you intend to come? I will then have all my Linux CDs ready. Since the master will be here, might as well get all work done ;) :D Just kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom