Can I install Ubuntu/Mint without burning to a cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have an old Acer travelmate laptop on which I intend to install Ubuntu or Linux mint.
I downloaded the iso, burnt them to a cd and tried installing them. I can boot from the live cd without any problems. I can start the install process without any problems. However, when the process reaches 42%-45%, I get a i/o error saying that cd may be corrupted, or the the cd rom may be corrupt of there might be an error in the hdd. I tried this multiple times using freshly burnt cd's. I think the cd drive itself may be spoilt. Unfortunately, I don't have any external drives which I can use.
I read on the internet that I can install without burning to a cd using unetbootin or grub4dos.
The unetbootin is not adding an entry to c:\boot.ini file, so I'm not able to install using it. I don't know how to use grub4dos.
Please help me install linux to the laptop.
Thanks

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Try installing Mint 8 from USB. Download fixmint (Google for it)
1. Extract it to a folder preferably to root of D or E, say LinuxMint
2. Copy the Mint 8 iso to that folder
3. Run fixmint.bat and follow instructions
4. Boot from USB (change the boot sequence in BIOS giving USB Boot higher preference)

Hope this helps.

OP
P

prashanthnbhat

Broken In
Thanks..
Does it boot through a USB Flash drive? I don't think my laptop could do that. I have booted from a external dvd writer that was connected through USB, but I tried the same using a pen drive, the laptop just hung, it didn't boot at all. Is there any fix for that?

khmadhu

change is constant!!
check u r bios settings and enable boot from usb/removable device option

try with this..software

it supports most varieties of distributions
*unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

OP
P

prashanthnbhat

Broken In
The BIOS doesn't have such a setting(Oddly, it can boot through a USB external DVD drive, but not from a USB pen drive). Should I try updating the BIOS?

I tried using Unetbootin. I followed the procedure mentioned on the website. It did everything but didn't add a boot entry to the C:\boot.ini file. Can I add it manually? If yes, how do I do it?

khmadhu

change is constant!!
which acer travelmate u r using.. ? try googling around for usb boot support.

if the bios is too old and recommended by acer then u should update(be careful, during flashing bios if there is a power failure then some of the hardware may not work properly).

unetbootin should automatically add entry to boot.ini file. try changing the type to "Hard disk".

I tried using Unetbootin. I followed the procedure mentioned on the website. It did everything but didn't add a boot entry to the C:\boot.ini file. Can I add it manually? If yes, how do I do it?

Yes , you can .
First Test if your PC is Booting from USB-stick:

1. Use 2 GB USB-stick with High Read/Write Speed

2. Format USB-stick with PeToUSB.exe *gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb
to Make Bootable USB-stick with FAT FileSystem, FAT = Faster
such that USB-stick has NTLDR Logical Drive Bootsector(mostly sector 0x3F=63)
and is seen by BIOS as Harddisk (MBR is at sector 0).
Use PeToUSB.exe with Settings: Enable Disk Format with LBA FAT16X

3. Copy XP BootFiles ntldr, NTDETECT.COM, Bootfont.bin and boot.ini from your XP C-drive to USB-stick
For this purpose in Windows Explorer Extra>Folder Options, Set Hidden and System Files to be Visible.

4. Change in boot.ini on stick rdisk(0) in rdisk(1) and add a second entry
so that on Booting from USB-stick you will be able to see the boot.ini Menu.
Before you Edit boot.ini, Remove first via Right-click and Properties the Read Only property.

boot.ini
CODE
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Boot Test Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

5. Reboot your PC with USB-stick plugged in and Enter BIOS Setup by pressing [Delete] or F2
and change Boot settings more permanent so that Harddisk is used as first Boot device type
and USB-Drive is seen as first Harddisk. Save BIOS Settings with F10.

6. Test if your PC is Booting from USB-stick with boot.ini Menu. If you can see the Menu, it is OK
If USB-stick is not bootable:
Check BIOS bootsequence settings or use different USB-stick / computer combination,
OR Instead of PeToUSB use HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Version 2.0.6 and use FAT filesystem
*download.chip.eu/en/USB-Disk-Storag...0.6_176935.html

If you did prepare your USB-stick with USB_MultiBoot.cmd so that it can be used for Install of Windows XP,
than you had already a stick with boot.ini Menu and the required bootfiles, and you don't need to do steps 1-4

Instead of an USB-stick one can also make a Bootable USB-Harddisk using the steps 2-6 given above.

FOR USB-Harddisk make 1900 MB partition at beginning of the USB-Harddisk using e.g. Partition Magic.
Use FAT Format and Set Active OR use PeToUSB to Format such partition.
Without Set Active you will get DISK BOOT FAILURE.

For details see

g160689

Broken In
Use Virtual Box. Install it using the iso. Thats better if u want to use 2(rather multiple) operating system simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom