Can i add new ram in my older system?

coldhart

Journeyman
I have core i7 950 which have triple channel ddr3 ram compatibility but currently all new ram are dual channel so is there possibility to add 16 gb ram Gskill SNIPER 16GB RAM F3-1866C10D-16GSR (8GB X 2) Rs- 7,850 on my mobo?
currently i have gskill f3-12800cl7 [3X2GB] so can i add these new one with these older one so total ram will be 22gb?

My hardware
Core i7 950
gigabyte X58A-ud3r rev2
Sapphire 5870 1GB card

Primary Purpose - Rendering & composition

PC is not overclocked

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
I'd say its too risky. Its better if you can get ram with the same speed and timings since different capacities usually aren't trouble. Since you are anyway going for 20+gb i'd suggest you sell your current ram and get new 3*8gb

Cilus

laborare est orare
You already have 6 GB of Ram and that is enough for 99% of the applications. I don't think you need more Ram than that. Otherwise, sell of your existing Rams and get 3X4 GB RipjaWX 1600 @ 4.5k

OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
texture of bigger scenes needs bigger rams as i heard on several forum
i use maya, 3ds max, After effects, nuke, fusion, photoshop, zbrush

You already have 6 GB of Ram and that is enough for 99% of the applications. I don't think you need more Ram than that. Otherwise, sell of your existing Rams and get 3X4 GB RipjaWX 1600 @ 4.5k
can i use these ram with my current ram set

Cilus

laborare est orare
Yes you can but there might be some compatibility issues while using Rams with different size and timing. I guess you're having 6 slots in your motherboard and your existing rams are CL7 rams whereas the versions I have suggested is CL9.
But again, 6GB is a good amount of memory, even for the apps you've mentioned.

OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
so guys plz suggest me ram which will work in my mobo ( gigabyte x58a-ud3r ) my mobo has six slots & supports max 24gb means [6X4GB] im thinking about selling my current ram & buy new ones so compatibility issue never occur.I've no intention of overclocking my pc.

OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
Im thinking about buying 6 X 4GB Ram since prices are very low

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)
going to buy 6 kit since every kit only has 1 X 4Gb ram

im thinking about selling my current ram so there will be no issue of compatibility
some people are saying me to look for 1.5v ram does other than 1.5 voltage isn't gonna work in my PC? will above mentioned new ram work with my system?

Hardware spec
Core i7 950
Gigabyte X58A-UD3r Rev 2
Corsair HX 650 PSU
Sapphire 5870 GPU

Last edited:
OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
frnds plz
after buying the kit it will be wastage of money if this kit didn't work on my mobo so plz tell me

Top Bottom