Can A Windows Xp Run Continuously For A Month Or More ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devauniversal

Tech Savvy
Hi guyz

I just wanna know did any one try to run windows xp continuously for a month or more than that without getting it restarted. Just a curiosity to know, whether any one tried it already. I am running it for the 11th day continuously .. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Don't know about XP, but I am running Vista from 20 days continuesly. I just put it on hibernate when I go to sleep in night. :D

munchy

wAnnaBe pIraTe
well dude,
my windows xp has been runnin ever since i have joined my company,
5th march 2007,
ever since dat day i havent restarted it,
no crashes , nothng,
whn i leave ofc i just lock the user and turn off d monitor and next day do d reverse,
it's been runnin g perfectly fine inspite f d fact that i use very heavy applications on it like visual studio 2005 and the server of my website is at a remote location so am alwz logged onto it,
outlook alwz running,
media player on,
surfn d net usin firefox and IE and opera,
so it just performs very nicely,

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
gx_saurav said:
Don't know about XP, but I am running Vista from 20 days continuesly. I just put it on hibernate when I go to sleep in night. :D

If you consider hiberante then i that case, i use shutdown like once in a month. I always ut my pc on hibernate :D

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Edit : I got the question wrong !!! Sorry...

I Run 2 and a half years non stop... till i updated to new C2D system !!!! So windows XP run for 30months non stop for me... !!! and dont say i dont test or visit Virus effected sites, I do... :p

Last edited:

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
move the thread mods to the chitchat section

this section is becoming "post what did you find" section.we need tech news,no discoveries.

btw my xp's been running for 15mnths now.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
unless you install something that requires a system restarts or change a hardware, xp can very well run for long widout a reboot.

OP
devauniversal

devauniversal

Tech Savvy
munchy said:
well dude,
my windows xp has been runnin ever since i have joined my company,
5th march 2007,
ever since dat day i havent restarted it,
no crashes , nothng,
whn i leave ofc i just lock the user and turn off d monitor and next day do d reverse,
it's been runnin g perfectly fine inspite f d fact that i use very heavy applications on it like visual studio 2005 and the server of my website is at a remote location so am alwz logged onto it,
outlook alwz running,
media player on,
surfn d net usin firefox and IE and opera,
so it just performs very nicely,

thats quite impressing munchy... thanks alot guyz for your replies :)

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
as infrared says, that is the only reason my system ever powers down. Counting the fact that an ftp server, etrust virus update server and a plone server run on my system I always keep it on. Has been this way since Jan 2006. I might have restarted a total of 30 times since then.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
neither, I guess. It depends on your use as usual. You delete and add a lot of files, fragmentation will occur. It doesn't make a lot of difference either way.

OP
devauniversal

devauniversal

Tech Savvy
praka123 said:
does always "on" helps reducing fragmentation or does it mean the other way?

fragmentation occurs when swapping, creating or deleting files occurs more frequenltly. Os will look for the best possible allocation of files when it doesnt find enough space to create it in successive sectors it splits the file and places it in diffrent places of hard disk which results in fragmentation.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
Choto Cheeta said:
I Run 2 and a half years non stop... till i updated to new C2D system !!!! So windows XP run for 30months non stop for me... !!! and dont say i dont test or visit Virus effected sites, I do... :p

In ur home pc? why?

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
UTTER WASTAGE of ENERGY. why dont u ever shutdown the comp? just because it would take extra 10mins next time while startin?
this is REALLY BAD. SAVE ENERGY GUYS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom