CAD/3DAnimation/Rendering rig 100k

JooJoo

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer?

CAD/3DAnimation/Rendering/Video Editing:cool:
Solidworks, Pro/E, CATIA, Autodesk Inventor, MATLAB, Keyshot(needs integrated graphics on CPU)
Adobe Creative Suite, Sony Vegas
3DS Max, Maya, V-Ray
No Gaming on this one :-(

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 90-100k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No:unsure:

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: No. Planning to buy Dell U2414H when launched here(not from this budget).

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: UPS, DVD Writer, Keyboard+Mouse, Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Jan 2014 (Happy New Year Everyone! :doublethumb:)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before?
Ans: Yes, will assemble myself, built current one in 2009.:noob:

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore:bananana:, counting on SP Road, sure will buy online(in India) if needed.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Got this config suggestion on Tom's Hardware
but i am looking for config suggestions on a home forum.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy 3.3GHz LGA 1155, Quad-Core HT
ASRock C216 WS ATX Server board LGA 1155 Intel C216
(here, is Intel Original C216 Motherboard available)
Kingston (2X 8GB) DDR3 1600 ECC KVR16E11/8
NVIDIA Quadro K2000 VCQK2000-PB 2GB
WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM
Corsair Carbide Series 200R
(for this i think i will go with 300/400R)
SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W Modular Active PFC

Will all these components be available locally, in budget?
Would a Core i7 based config be more affordable?
What do you guys think of ECC RAM?
An SSD would surely be out of budget?
Will i need a CPU Cooler?

Thanks in advance to all for suggestions :p

P.S. I have checked posts with matching requirements, but they are from 2012

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
xeon e3 1245v3-19k
asus h87 pro-10k
kingston hyperx blu 2x 8gb -9.6k
nvidia quadro k2000-33k
wd black 1 tb-5.8k
seasonic m12ii 650-6k
antec gx700-4k/corsair carbide 400r- 5.5k
EDIT: get samsung 840 pro 128gb ssd - 9k as well

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Intel Xeon E3 1245v3 @ 19k

Asus H87-PRO @ 10k

CM Hyper 101 @ 1k

Kingston Hyperx blu 8gb x2 @ 10k

Nvidia Quadro K2000 @ 33k

Samsung S840 PRO 128gb @10k / 256gb @ 16k

Wd Cavier Black 1TB @ 6k

Seasonic M12ii 650 @ 7k

Antec GX 700 @ 4k

TOTAL @ 100K

THIS IS BEST FOR YOUR WORK.
:)

Intel Xeon E3 1245v3 @ 19k
Asus H87-PRO @ 10k
CM Hyper 101 @ 1k
Kingston Hyperx blu 8gb x2 @ 10k
Nvidia Quadro K2000 @ 33k
Samsung S840 PRO 128gb @10k / 256gb @ 16k
Wd Cavier Black 1TB @ 6k
Seasonic M12ii 650 @ 7k
Antec GX 700 @ 4k
TOTAL @ 100K
THIS IS BEST FOR YOUR WORK.
:)

+1 for this.

@OP; why do you need integrated graphics? Xeon does not have any integrated graphics but is a very powerful processor with 6 cores.

Last edited:
OP
J

JooJoo

+1 for this.

@OP; why do you need integrated graphics?

There's this Keyshot, very lightweight tool for quick decent renders from Solidworks etc, it uses only integrated graphics, and i'm thinking what if i discover some other applications later which worked only on integrated graphics, so to better be on the safe side..

OP
J

JooJoo

OK guys i am going with this:
thanks a lot for helping out with the configuration!

CPU: Xeon E3 1245 V3
MoBo: ASUS P9D WS
RAM: Kingston HyperX BLU 1600 8X2
GPU: NVIDIA QUADRO K2000
PSU: Seasonic M12ii 750 (SS750AM)
HDD: WD Black 1TB 7200
Fan: CM Hyper 101
SSD: Samsung 840Pro 128 GB
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed
DVDdriv: ASUS DRW D3
UPS: APC UPS 600 VA

Now would you suggest i buy most parts from this online, or from shops at SP Road Bangalore?
is online cheaper than shops? which way ensures correct and genuine components?
warranty issues will have to be dealt with service centers right? so that is irrespective of shop/online?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
compare the price of both online and offline shops ... if you want to be covered for RMA support by the seller for the first month get your items from FK [ ws retails ] ;)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Get a better cabinet for a rig like that. Look NZXT Phantom or a Corsair Air or CM Silencio etc etc. It will keep things on the cooler side,silent and will be more forgiving to component upgrades and watercooling if at all.

Gollum

Collector
I would suggest Quadro K4000. Although expensive, it will take less time to render.
Better get a HP workstation. it will be cheaper with better Warranty support.

OP
J

JooJoo

I would suggest Quadro K4000. Although expensive, it will take less time to render.

No HP workstation available in 100k, i estimate the HP Z420 will start from 1.35 with Quadro K2000.
in office they have HP Z 420, 620 and 820's, ..can't sneak one out though :(

even better will be if i go with Xeon E5... but then i will have to save for several more months..
dont want to wait, want to get at it already :)
and i am not sure if i will be able to give the 4000 enough work for its appetite, im a noobie sort of :p
will buy another rig in 2 yrs

one thing i want to ask is, is it good to go for C226 Chipset in ASUS P9D, or stick with ASUS H87 Pro, as i wont OC or use ECC RAM which the P9D offers and H87 doesnt, price difference is 7k.

also how much benefit does Xeon V3(1150)+C226 chipset give over Xeon V2(1155)+C216 chipset, price difference is only 2-3k.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

rs 63000?? well over the budget.

Now would you suggest i buy most parts from this online, or from shops at SP Road Bangalore?
is online cheaper than shops? which way ensures correct and genuine components?
warranty issues will have to be dealt with service centers right? so that is irrespective of shop/online?

you can try mdcomputers.in,primeabgb.com,theitdepot.com,theitwares.com,smcinternational.com,deltapage ,flipkart,snapdeal etc.
for shops in SP road, do not forget to check ankit infotech and golcha it.
sometimes, online shops are cheaper. sometimes they are not. so do check the product in every possible way to get it at lower cost. these websites sell genuine products and do the shops mentioned.
yes warranty is handled by service centers and not the shops/online websites except that you can contact them if something goes wrong within few days of purchase .:)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No HP workstation available in 100k, i estimate the HP Z420 will start from 1.35 with Quadro K2000.
in office they have HP Z 420, 620 and 820's, ..can't sneak one out though :(

even better will be if i go with Xeon E5... but then i will have to save for several more months..
dont want to wait, want to get at it already :)
and i am not sure if i will be able to give the 4000 enough work for its appetite, im a noobie sort of :p
will buy another rig in 2 yrs

one thing i want to ask is, is it good to go for C226 Chipset in ASUS P9D, or stick with ASUS H87 Pro, as i wont OC or use ECC RAM which the P9D offers and H87 doesnt, price difference is 7k.

also how much benefit does Xeon V3(1150)+C226 chipset give over Xeon V2(1155)+C216 chipset, price difference is only 2-3k.

stick with H87 or if possible get Z87 :D the V2 is based on IB and V3 is based on HW .. so v3 has better per core performance at same clock speed with some added instructions sets like AVX2 which may come handy depending on the application you use.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

get the new chipset. also get asus h87 pro since the price difference is 7k and you dont use ecc ram. actaully ecc ram is bit slower than our normal ones. so stick with asus h87 pro.

also forgot to mention that apc 600va ups may not suffice. better get apc 1100va ups.

OP
J

JooJoo

just back from SP Road,

bought these so far, from Anandit Infotech

CPU: Xeon E3 1245 V3 = 18400
RAM: Kingston KVR16E11/8 1600 ECC 8x2 = 6400x2
GPU: Leadtek NVIDIA QUADRO K2000 = 29500
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200 = 3600(will buy on monday)
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R = 4650 (300R as i dont want the case to be expensive)
DVDdriv: ASUS DRW 24XD3 = 1100
UPS: APC UPS 600 VA = 1920(did not buy, will get another on monday)
total +5.5% VAT
another point, paying by swiping card causes additional 2% to the total :2cents:

i was scared of ECC as on searching online the prices were double that of HyperxBlu, hence started looking for H87 mobo, but ECC did not turn out to be that costly, so will keep full workstation specs and go for ASUS P9D WS C226, and also get 2 more 8GB ECC sticks sometime later. decided to ditch the SSD for now.

did not have a good experience at Golchha, the guy saw my component list, said we dont sell this config(!?) and turned away. i asked can u get the Xeon maybe and ECC RAM? so he threw his quote sheet at me(why..) which i filled which had such small boxes to fill in the part names, then he proceeded to tell me there is no such CM Hyper 101 fan(not true! it is there on flipkart), and that i was maybe thinking 212. when i asked if i want to buy all available components today itself and how can i pay other than cash.. you can pay by credit card or transfer or dollars. (dude! dollars? and he wasn't even looking pissed at something to explain such air i think he was just generally haughty, i began to doubt my clothes look poor or something?:ashamed:)
another customer next to me got it even bad, since he asked why some model of some DLink router was more expensive than the other, the Golchha guy asked him to pull out his phone.. show me..what phone do you have?how much was it? the guy had some samsung which he said was some 35k, Golchha guy now proceeds to pull out his HTC one and says look mine was 44k, same reason. the samsung guy sheepishly said he also had a 40k phone which got stolen last week. i left the shop after that. idk how they have such rave reviews online?

Anandit did not have as many customers flocking his shop, he was cool and even called back his suppliers stressing to tell exact model numbers of all components as he saw i had them all down and i was unsure of changing to some other model number last minute.
Jainex could not get quote for most components.
oh and Golchha quoted Quadro K2000 for 25000!? it is 35000 on theitdepot.com

the higher option for UPS was APC 1100VA at 4800/-(700VA not in market), one microtek 800VA was available for 2800/- but thought will check first as to what wattage it delivers

first time on digit forum, and just loved all free and extremely useful information, Cheers guys! :thumbs:

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Congrats on your purchase but how could you just walk away from that a-hole Golcha guy. Just reading that got me mad, if I was in your place I would have given him the tongue lashing of his life!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
congrats on the purchase :). you should get apc 1100va ups. do not forget to post pics :)

did not have a good experience at Golchha, the guy saw my component list, said we dont sell this config(!?) and turned away. i asked can u get the Xeon maybe and ECC RAM? so he threw his quote sheet at me(why..) which i filled which had such small boxes to fill in the part names, then he proceeded to tell me there is no such CM Hyper 101 fan(not true! it is there on flipkart), and that i was maybe thinking 212. when i asked if i want to buy all available components today itself and how can i pay other than cash.. you can pay by credit card or transfer or dollars. (dude! dollars? and he wasn't even looking pissed at something to explain such air i think he was just generally haughty, i began to doubt my clothes look poor or something?:ashamed:)
another customer next to me got it even bad, since he asked why some model of some DLink router was more expensive than the other, the Golchha guy asked him to pull out his phone.. show me..what phone do you have?how much was it? the guy had some samsung which he said was some 35k, Golchha guy now proceeds to pull out his HTC one and says look mine was 44k, same reason. the samsung guy sheepishly said he also had a 40k phone which got stolen last week. i left the shop after that. idk how they have such rave reviews online?

he deserved a thrashing from you. you should have done that.

first time on digit forum, and just loved all free and extremely useful information, Cheers guys! :thumbs:

good to know that :)

Top Bottom