C Drive=50 GB, want to format it, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
FYI a hdd can only have 4 partitions due to the limitations on MBR. Out of which one can be an extended partition.You can create as many logical drives in a extended partition.

So if u need to create more then 4 partitions then u need to have atleast one extended partition.

best practice is to create two primary partitions and one extended partition and then go on dividing the extended partition in logical drives as required.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
thats what i did, create one "Extednded Partition" & there after all are Logical Drives.

this HP system has got two "Primary Partition" - C: OS; & D: Recovery Drive.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
hey dudes:D my problem was solved long time ago:D.

i just thanked Mr.Vista again (as usual:D). coz this time i created the Partitions just the way i wanted.

(last time the person on HP Customer Service told me to create other partitions as "Primary", -back then i didnt know much on Partitions)

anispace

dattebayo
s18000rpm said:
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH Mr.Vista.

i have learnt a lot from your post here:)

just a week back i formatted the HDD & installed HP provided Windows XP Home.

now i have created FOUR extra partitions (vs. only 2 partiton for 1.5 yrs).

I learnt that we cant Create more than "FOUR PRIMARY Partitions", so this time in HP i created a BIG "EXTENDED Partition" (using "HP Recovery Tools CD")& then used Paragon PM to create others:D

*img100.imageshack.us/img100/1409/myri0.th.jpg

C: 8GB
D: 6.41GB (this cant be resized - encrypted)
E: 20GB
F: 20GB
G: 10GB
H: 10GB

Thank you again Mr.Vista:)

cant i use disk management in WinXP to create the partitions after using the Recovery tools cd to make a big extended partition.
Also why did u not delete the Recovery partition coz i think that the recov tools cd has that option?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
for me the WinXP disk management tool was giving limited option. - primary partition.

& btw this Paragon Partition Manager is FREE (promotional stuff), easy to use.

about Recovery Partition, its the LIFE SAVER :D. you should never delete it.

if due to virus attack, or data corruption your XP goes kaput, then this partition can Re-Install XP WITHOUT Affecting the data on C: drive..

very handy Partition.:D

& if you have deleted that partition, then the ONLY Option for you is to Recover (re-install XP) your PC with provided DVD disks.
which in the process DELETES all Partition, data...& restores PC to Factory Settings

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
wat?

if you're talkin of HP (post # 21, then have a look at the pics:)

*img141.imageshack.us/img141/6580/hpyk9.th.jpg - *img148.imageshack.us/img148/6760/hp1um9.th.jpg

uchiha.sasuke

Journeyman
@s18000rpm

no but in this recovery we don't get any option of partioning during system recovery......and I have also used partion magic but it's dat also proved to be worthless.....i have HP Pavilion dv5200tx laptop and has 2 partition on hard drive of 100 gb capacity.......so ne suggestions regarding partioning .....i have one more prob.. 'll discuss it later...

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
if you can wait for few minutes, i'll post a Detailed Tutorial on creating Partitions in HP Pavilion Systems:wink:

but till then,
=> get a CD (a regular one, not ReWritable).
=>goto this "Recovery Tools CD" Creator, select "Create the Recovery Tools CD".
=> follow the on-screen instruction to create it.

uchiha.sasuke

Journeyman
i can wait whole night...........u take ur time..........and i have already already created my set of Recovery Discs.. .........and have also have used it just a few days ago...when my system crashed and wasn't able to recover thru recovery partition even......actually suddenly blue screen had come and after rebooting there was a blank screen with cursor blinking on left corner......

uchiha.sasuke

Journeyman
yaa its ok currently n m using NIS also.........but my whole data has beeen lost.........as m in hostel so dats not big deal here......but its 2 time i have to recover my pc in last 3 weeks....out of which last one really scared me......[:)]

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
first of all you need better Anti-Virus Solution:).

as you mentioned you are in Hostel, then you must be swapping your friend's CD/Pen drives in your system, which might contain virus/trojans.

so my suggestion is to go for the FREE Active Virus Shield [AVS] (it has Kaspersky's Scan Engine).

if you have cash to spend, then get Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) or Kaspersky AV (KAV).

if you go for AVS, then get ZoneAlarm Firewall 7 (free).

ok dude about Partitions, i have posted the Tutorial.

link-> [Tutorial] Creating Partitions in HP Pavilion Desktops & Laptops

uchiha.sasuke

Journeyman
i dont have option of pc recovery tools cd in system recovery folder of programs in start menu......in my laptop......so wat to do now????????

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
just to make sure this option is available or not, see whether this folder is in your system. "C:\Windows\Creator"

(app. name-> "C:\WINDOWS\CREATOR\CD Creator.exe"

if NOT, is it possible for you to get this CD from any of your friends???

i dont know about the launch year of HP Laptops:D

Last edited:

uchiha.sasuke

Journeyman
yes i have that file ........but its for recovery disk, i have tried it too......................and i have already created my recovery disk set........and regarding recovery tools cd.....all guys here have hp laptops and i guess they 'll also have same prob..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom