C Drive=50 GB, want to format it, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Using the Administrative tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, to create a new LOGICAL partition, shud the QUICK FORMAT option be selected or shud it be left unchecked ??

I usually make partitions with the option Unchecked, Please tell me by doin this (not selecting QUICK FORMAT) am i harming the sectors or my HDD in any way ?>>

I currently want to format a >30 GB unallocated space in my HDD using the Disk Management option, shud i go in for a QUICK FORMAT or no ??

Cheers n e-peace....

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
If its a free space (not a partition), then u should do a full format not a quick format!
But if u want to format an existing partition, then u can safely choose quick format. :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
guys i need URGENT HELP

i downloaded & installed the Paragon Partition Manager (Thanks to Kiran_Tech_Mania :) ).

=>I tried to RESIZE C: Drive (size=32.1 GB, free space=18.1GB).
=>i'm trying to create 15GB partition (from C: Drive).
==>i gave all input needed (new partition size...), but when i click APPLY Changes, the software gives me the ERROR (see the Pic).
*img121.imageshack.us/img121/3125/paragonwl2.th.jpg

will selecting REBOOT from the option allow the Software to Create/resize the new Partition at/durin Windows booting. :confused:

& is that method safe :confused:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
Buddy u can't resize system partition while running windows ;)
All softwares resize a system partition at the boottime, i.e., before starting windows :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
so is it safe to select the "REBOOT OPTION" then??? :confused:

do i need any boot cd for this, coz i dont have one, got only 2 Recovery DVD's :(

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
THANKS A LOT Mr.Vista

You saved the DAY. *smilies.sofrayt.com/fdm/bow.gif

i got a little bit problem now. i was sucessful in resizing C: drive to 17.1GB.

but the free Unallocated Space=15GB is not accessible. :(

i'm not able to Delete that Unallocated space & create a new partition from it. :(
when i right click over the Unallocated space, the "Delete Partition" option is greyed out (not accessible).

what do i do next. i restarted the PC three times already :(.

i tried Windows Disk Management too, but same result. :(
*img72.imageshack.us/img72/8673/partitionqc0.th.jpg

URGENT HELP needed.

My PC config. HP Pavilion, XP Home Edition SP2, P4-3.06GHz, 256MB RAM, Intel 915g(m/b)

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
in the above pic, you can see there are two partitions (free space 1.5GB & 13.5GB), which are result of the RESIZING of C: Drive (initial size 32.1 GB, present resized size=17.1 GB)

My Problem=> i'm not able to create a partition from those two Unallocated free space, as they dont give any option of formatting/deleting/...

somehow i was able to Resize my K:drive (initial size=17.1GB, present size=20.1GB by merging the 1.5GB free space)

right now i've only 13.2GB unallocated free space from which i want to create a 10GB partition & a 1 GB partition (virtual memory) the rest i'll merge it with F: drive.
*img179.imageshack.us/img179/4182/partak1.th.jpg

sorry, i dont have Norton's s/w & dont know anything about Linux. :(

i nearly fainted b'coz this resizing :D, what happened was, the letter K: got changed to G:, which has all s/w (Kaspersky....) & all started giving "Insert Disk" error. :D, i disconnected the card reader & changed the drive letter back to K:. (now everything's working fine)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Is there no option, like "Redistribute Free Space" in this Paragon Partition Manager? coz such an option exists in Norton Partition Magic and it can help u in this problem ;)

Also try to resize an existing partition and then see whether it allows u to merge existing free space or not!

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
yes, there's a option "Redistribute Free Space" under "Wizards". but it shows an error-> "Could not load user Interface source:paragon Wizard Library"

I'm able to merge the unallocated free space.

i'll try re-installing Paragon s/w & give feedback.

Also try to resize an existing partition and then see whether it allows u to merge existing free space or not!

after re-install of that s/w, the option "Redistribute Free Space" is working.

but if i put (merge) this free space into other partitions, then i wont be able to create the neccessary 1 GB & 10 GB partitions. am i right :confused:

all i wanted to do is create two partitions (as mentioned above).

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
If its not allowing, then why not u first merge the free space in an existing partition?
and after that try again to resize it.
and then try to create new partition from free space!

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Ok, i'll try Merging it,:) & give feedback 2morow, coz i'll start @ 12am, then this'll finish @ around 1-1:30am.

thanks for replying Mr.Vista. :) do visit this thread 2morow too. :D

btw is the following info useful, its the Properties of "Unallocated Free Space"
Partition 4, hard disk 0

Volume label:

File system: Unformatted

Drive letter: *:

Serial number: E8000CD3

Sectors / boot: 0

Sectors / cluster: 0

Size (capacity): 13.2 GB (14.221.025.280 )

Used space: 2048 GB (15463%)

Free space: 13.2 GB (100%)

Physical sectors:

First: 128520000 (Cyl 8500, Hd 0, Sec 1)

Last: 156295439 (Cyl 10336, Hd 239, Sec 63)

HDD info: Cyl 10337, Hd 240, Sec 63
i merged the Unallocated Free Space with another partition, then again i resized that partition (resized to smaller size), but same problem has come back. the partition Manager does not give any Option for Creating/Deleting... that free space.
*smilies.sofrayt.com/fdm/sad.gif
what shall i do now.

i even used the "Partition Logic", but for some reason it does not boot up properly. (i used 5 different downloads of same s/w, used Sonic Burner to burn the image.). & Windows Disk Management console, but to no avail. *smilies.sofrayt.com/fdm/sad.gif

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
yeah. all are Primary Partitions. :(

last question, (sorry, it seems i'm bugging you very much now :( )
=>can it be made/converted to Extended Partition.

or shall i just merge that 10gb into present ones.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Not at all buddy! We all r here to help each other ;)

afaik, It can't be converted to Extended partition.
Merging the free space again in an existing partition will be the best solution :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
that was what i was afraid of (merging), but its alright, now im going to get another HD.(& i just got a new mobile- completely unexpected :D)

Thanks for Help Mr.Vista. *smilies.sofrayt.com/fdm/bow.gif

b'coz i've not only learnt how to do Merging, but also Resizing, , Redistribute HD partitions.

repd you for Helping & i really learnt a lot in this thread.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
s18000rpm said:
.(& i just got a new mobile- completely unexpected :D)
Thats gr8 :D Congrats buddy...

s18000rpm said:
Thanks for Help Mr.Vista. *smilies.sofrayt.com/fdm/bow.gif

b'coz i've not only learnt how to do Merging, but also Resizing, , Redistribute HD partitions.
My pleasure buddy ;)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH Mr.Vista.

i have learnt a lot from your post here:)

just a week back i formatted the HDD & installed HP provided Windows XP Home.

now i have created FOUR extra partitions (vs. only 2 partiton for 1.5 yrs).

I learnt that we cant Create more than "FOUR PRIMARY Partitions", so this time in HP i created a BIG "EXTENDED Partition" (using "HP Recovery Tools CD")& then used Paragon PM to create others:D

*img100.imageshack.us/img100/1409/myri0.th.jpg

C: 8GB
D: 6.41GB (this cant be resized - encrypted)
E: 20GB
F: 20GB
G: 10GB
H: 10GB

Thank you again Mr.Vista:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom