C/C++ Beginner's Guide and Post Basic Questions here

tech_boy

The Annoying Thing
For beginners, i would suggest
C++ - "C++ for Dummies"
C - "C for Dummies"
These books are excellent for beginners and concepts r explained with concrete examples.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
^^ Thinking in C++ is helpful for those who are already familiar with 'C' or little 'C++'.
you may learn 'C' from "C programming by dennis ritchie"

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Is 'Thinking in C++' good for a beginner. It is my first ever language so i want that the book teaches me all the basic concepts clearly.

C++ is not for a beginner. One should learn C before C++. For that I would +1 nims' suggestion and you to get Head First C as well and learn from both.
Though ideally I would recommend Python as a first language.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You can code in C++ in a normal, structured fashion. So, it doesn't make much difference if you learn C++ first. Since C++ is compatible with C code to a large extent, you can learn C++ first in a structured manner then move on to OOP.

Though personally it would be better to learn C first.

digit.sh

Journeyman
Anyone know where I can find pdf or text documents containing all the built in function(of C language) declaration like following:

Declaration:

size_t strlen(const char *str);

Computes the length of the string str up to but not including the terminating null character.

Returns the number of characters in the string.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
C++ is not for a beginner. One should learn C before C++. For that I would +1 nims' suggestion and you to get Head First C as well and learn from both.
Though ideally I would recommend Python as a first language.

Actually, C++ is in my school syllabus. They have started from C++. And the book they've prescribed is a crap Sumita Arora one. Teachers aren't that good too. Can't understand the basics of OOP. That is why, I'm in need of a proper book for C++. And now, due to huge pressure of science and maths, i can't learn both C and C++.
I remember I've studied GW-BASIC, in 6th-7th standard, and I don't think that'd be enough for me.

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Well none of those books will help you then, since you won't be able to cope up with them either. In that case either drop CS, it's useless anyway or just rote and vormit that crap book. If for anything it's useful to get marks in your board examinations.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
CS is the only optional subject in which I can score good. I will surely fail in other optional subjects(hindi, music and art). :p
I want to learn those languages, and since I'm not preparing for the ISEET right now, so I can devote a little time to C and C++ everyday.

SahilAr

In the zone
Heyy Techies,i want to start programming from scratch,i wanna build and boost my Fundamentals in Programming,i should start with C or Python?
(I heard Python is a Server Side Programming Language)

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Heyy Techies,i want to start programming from scratch,i wanna build and boost my Fundamentals in Programming,i should start with C or Python?
(I heard Python is a Server Side Programming Language)

Python.
Python can be used as a Server Side Programming Language but it is not restricted to it.

SahilAr

In the zone
So you mean i should start learning Python without any fundamentals/knowledge/experience with Programming?If yes,please refer me the source where to start with Python?
Also,please mention the reason not choosing C/C++ as starter?

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Links, Resources, and a hotly contested debate. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/programming/156195-book-beginner.html
This should be enough for you to take your decision.

SahilAr

In the zone
Links, Resources, and a hotly contested debate. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/programming/156195-book-beginner.html
This should be enough for you to take your decision.

I asked you why Python over C?
Also,what are the resources for learning python,resources include:books,compilers etc...book is not sufficient!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I asked you why Python over C?
Also,what are the resources for learning python,resources include:books,compilers etc...book is not sufficient!

Dude! At least "try" to read that thread which has been quoted for you.
Also, world has something so awesome for you! Google!
I will give you the keywords to give you a jump start. "Compiler for Python".

There. Now, happy learning! :doublethumb:

SahilAr

In the zone
Hmm...
I have not only tried tried,instead I have "Gone" with that thread!!
Everyone is just supporting python as a base for programming but i can't see why c over python,everyone saying c/c++ as being complicated..and they end up supporting Python.
Google can't answer my question:why python over c as a base for programming!

OP
Liverpool_fan

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
There is no universal answer. Basically you have to trust others to make your choice. You don't have the necessarily knowledge or experience to know the difference.

SahilAr

In the zone
There is no universal answer. Basically you have to trust others to make your choice. You don't have the necessarily knowledge or experience to know the difference.

Hmm..
Ico and You deserve a gReaT thanks for solving my problem,i will start with Python now,rather than c/c++.
That Debate thread actually answered my question..You guys are really Dedicated,once again thanks a lot :)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's right, Sahil. How can you know (understand) the differences if you don't know anything about language.??

As LFC said, you have to trust others. And I guess you already answered your query. Peoples saying C is complicated over Python. So that's the answer..!!

Now, google won't recommend you Python / C / C++ / Something else. Because every language has it's own perspective and each one is best in it's own way and domain.

Anyway, leave these theories for now, be practical and get into practical.

Just go to Download Python and download the appropriate installer.

Now, get a book, for get *files.swaroopch.com/python/byte_of_python_v192.pdf and get started. :D

Happy Programming. :D

Top Bottom