Bypassing NTFS restricitions when installing Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Is there anyway to do this.

I want to install Ubuntu Linux in my D: that is 20 GB in space but I dont want to let it occupy the complete disk .

I cannot even go into Dos using a bootable disk and break this one partition into 2 partitions of 7GB and 13GB .

I know how to install but I just need to partition the disk.

Thanking you

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Either use Partition Magic to modify the partitions.
Or u can delete the D: partition then re-create 2 partitions in that free space : one of 7 GB and other of 13 GB...

PS: Why u give this name to ur topic?

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Thanks Vishal,

I dont want to use partition magic , I have kept that as last option.When all else fails .

Vishal Gupta said:
Or u can delete the D: partition then re-create 2 partitions in that free space : one of 7 GB and other of 13 GB...

Bcoz there are NTFS partitions I cannot boot into DOS and edit the partition using fdisk.

Vishal Gupta said:
PS: Why u give this name to ur topic?

The reason for giving this title was bcoz NTFS is restricting me from installing as I cannot modify the partitions.

Thanks anyway .

P.S. If u can suggest a good title I will willingly accept it

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
If ur partition is ntfs, it means u hv windows XP or 2000 installed on ur system.
Do this!

Goto: Control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management ( Same can be done by Right-click on My Computer's icon on desktop and select Manage )
It'll open a new window.
Now click on Disk Management, here u can delete ur D: partition and then can again create the parttions according to ur choice!

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Thanks once more Vishal,

Yes it is NTFS and I have WIN XP PRO.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can please clear my doubt as to when I delete the partition how will the free space be displayed.

Also will it be simple enough to recreate the partition. Will I just have to right click the free space and select something sounding like make a partition.

I do not have to do anyfurther steps, I hope

Hope its so simple.

Awaiting your conformation.

Regards,

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
When u'll delete the partition, it'll be automatically displayed as Unallocated partition.
And yes! Its very easy and simple to create the partitions in that unallocated space.
Simply select that space and right-click on it and select New partition ( or something like that ) then follow the steps, like type of partition, its size, drive letter. Thats it...

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Oh is it so simple. I shall try it in a few days as I am very busy with all sorts of assignments and presentations.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom