Buying used lenses

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Yeah, so NEXY!

:):p BTW you are buying these lenses from ebay.com right. Is it worth the hassel and price of getting them shipped? I found a good sigma 70-210 f/4.5 there. But it costs almost as much to ship to India as what the seller is asking for it

Raziel

Journeyman
Hi izzikio_rage, I buy from ebay.in only, only some adapters from ebay.com.
I think it won't cost extra for things less than 10K, not very sure though..

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Is this on the sellers price or on the total seller price + shipping? And if i buy from ebay.com and have a price that is higher than 5k when do i pay this? Is the initial transfer amount = price + shipping + 30% markup

sujoyp

Grand Master
its seller price+import duty I think...but not sure ...jaise hi india ki dharti par utrega maal 30% import duty

any item more than 5k may have import duty for sure...

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Just found this on jjmehta forums

Customs Duty :: Know Before You Buy - Customs Duty :: Know Before You Buy
Customs Duty :: Know Before You Buy

I'm getting a little worried as to how anything from ebay can come to India

sujoyp

Grand Master
you can buy anything from keh or amazon.com or ebay or B&H ...just that you have to pay 30% import duty +shipping charges :D

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Probably you guys know this already.

I have heard this site and even remembering bookmarked that site, but couldn't find it.

This site orders on behalf of you and receive the product it in US and they take care of shipping, import/custom duty and all.

We can ask for quotation how much it would cost us (including all the charges) before placing the order.

If I find the site, I will post the link here. If you guys know or find the site, post the link too... :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
here is the site nac maybe telling about - Now Shop from USA to India Online - ishopinternational ...try ur luck ...many guys get stuff from them..but I have never used it

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, it's pretty much the same. Just that's a different site but the service seems to be same...

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Nice, any special advantage of using this over just getting ebay or amazon to ship it? Is this cheaper? Plus a number of amazon sellers will only ship to the paypal address from which the money comes

nac

Aspiring Novelist
The benefit is, you will know what's the bottom number. You don't have to worry about whether you have to pay to customs or not, whether you will be charged higher than what you supposed to.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Finally after a load of research i decided to get the Sigma 70-210mm f/4.5 K- II lens. It's my first push pull type lens and it just got delivered yesterday.

*i.imgur.com/7boQ35d.jpg

Suggestions needed on how I can test this out in terms of image clarity etc

sujoyp

Grand Master
testing is easy...click a flower @f4.5 then f8 then f10 ....check which seems the sharpest with reasonable blurry background ....if you are lucky enough then at 4.5 it will be sharp

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I tried that, unfortunately i think I'll need a tripod and will need to spend some time to nail the focus before i can say how sharp the lens is

At 210 mm even shutter speeds of 1/200 give me motion blurring, need to find that telephoto formula that you told once

Since its a manual lens, i need to be sure that its a lens problem and not just me making a mistake in focusing

Chromatic abberations are there and there is some loss in contrast so that is definitely the lens's fault

sujoyp

Grand Master
CA and loss of contrast will disappere when you move to f8 and higher ...and yes in manual focus lens its even more difficult cause you dont get any kind of assistance...just use 2x of focal lenghth as SS

Top Bottom