Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

getting a CD Key won't be a problem as we have google now a days...although google is restricting the search filter due to DMCA copyright act...but still no success on stopping it completely
just a few days back the adf.ly was blocked to stop piracy

nothing comes FREE even while doing piracy money is being used (torrents etc) ....so don't ever think that u got a pirated content means it was originally forwarded to u free...
OP's title says "u get it for free" :mrgreen:

I once saw this video (i don't remember in news channel I guess)...the pirates are using a huge cabby with 5~6 DVD writers and burning lots of discs in one go, the police confiscates the handbags of pirates and then they have to take back their belongings by paying a penalty to police and this goes one forever :|

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

One doesn't just loose their CD key(unless they are 9 yr old kids) , I use cracks on older games which keeps nagging me to insert CD to play the game (al la CoD4) , but one of the main or only uses I found of modern DRM is that I never loose my key or to be more specific games.

Oh snap I meant CDs, not CD keys!

My bad :oops:

Edited above post from CD keys to CDs.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

EULAs are not a problem. Copyright laws permit "fair use" and "non-commercial distribution" of Intellectual Property. When you are making a copy of a CD and distributing it without making money and you are not supplying CD keys to activate the game or circumventing DRM with cracks and all, then you are distributing them as "backup" copies to those who have lost their CD keys.
not entirely correct.it depends on a particular country's laws & in most cases "backup" means for "private" use only.you can not distribute CDs of a commercial software even free by arguing that it is for those who have lost their original CDs unless you know about a law in your country allowing it & for that you either need to be a lawyer or have one.

@Shivam24

R.I.P English....
had got forcibly- was forcibly*
will you like it if you know that -knew*
they cheated to this girl-ok cant figure this one
by a few, actually thousands- oxymoron?
and somehow made a lot of love with force on her- you mean rape?
if u understand my question, you'll not stay poor anymore-understood*
Took me a while to understand your post, not because it was intellectually above my standard, but because your english screamed of 2nd grade dropout vocabulary and grammar...
Ok,i forgive you,i aint no Grammer Nazi

Putting myself in your shoes,as a debater, i can figure out that you're trying to imply that MY argument is---
"if a person cant afford a commodity, he is free to steal"
I clearly state that i can differentiate between theft and counterfeiting
Piracy is counterfeiting,not stealing.
Taking your example,if someone makes a duplicate copy, or a clone of my wife, then that's counterfeiting, or piracy AND NOT THEFT in this context. No forced love here k... :p:p

Shivam, next time you wanna make a comeback, make sure you brush up your english and your common sense. This is the interwebz, your true identity may be hidden, but your dignity can be played around like a pinata...be carefull....

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

^^ that was uncalled for.

Absolutely not. What Shivam24 said didn't make sense. His grammar was horrible, and I am still having difficulty comprehending what he was saying (something like the girl you're marrying was forced into mating with thousands of poor people who couldn't afford girlfriends or hookers, I'm still not sure).

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God

Absolutely not. What Shivam24 said didn't make sense. His grammar was horrible, and I am still having difficulty comprehending what he was saying (something like the girl you're marrying was forced into mating with thousands of poor people who couldn't afford girlfriends or hookers, I'm still not sure).

Yup. It made no sense to me either. my reply was to wording in mikael_schiffer's post before he edited it.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

If no piracy, maybe gamers get more ping because of less congestion
Copyright laws swing both ways. One protection for game devs is that the mechanics of a released game don't come under intellectual property rights. This allows zynga or gameloft to thrive on clones.

this isnt even a valid point, stupid to bring this up. network usage has nothing to do with your latency unless you have a 128kbit line.
isps maintain a 80-85% traffic ratio on their lines and this affects latencies by a max of 5-10. You get high latencies either due to bad routing or physical distance.

not entirely correct.it depends on a particular country's laws & in most cases "backup" means for "private" use only.you can not distribute CDs of a commercial software even free by arguing that it is for those who have lost their original CDs unless you know about a law in your country allowing it & for that you either need to be a lawyer or have one.

private use means by the people who have legally purchased the game. Private use does not mean "1" individual. It means as Extreme_Gamer rightly pointed out, not for commercial use / mass distribution. if i have a gaming cafe, for which i buy 1 pc licence and install the game on all of the other 50pc's by just paying for 1 pc thats illegal. If i have 50 friends who bought the game and lost their keys, i am liable to distribute to them the game.

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful.

opyright and Digital Files

Can I backup my computer software?
Yes, under certain conditions as provided by section 117 of the Copyright Act. Although the precise term used under section 117 is “archival” copy, not “backup” copy, these terms today are used interchangeably. This privilege extends only to computer programs and not to other types of works.

Under section 117, you or someone you authorize may make a copy of an original computer program if:

the new copy is being made for archival (i.e., backup) purposes only;
you are the legal owner of the copy; and
any copy made for archival purposes is either destroyed, or transferred with the original copy, once the original copy is sold, given away, or otherwise transferred.
You are not permitted under section 117 to make a backup copy of other material on a computer's hard drive, such as other copyrighted works that have been downloaded (e.g., music, films).

It is also important to check the terms of sale or license agreement of the original copy of software in case any special conditions have been put in place by the copyright owner that might affect your ability or right under section 117 to make a backup copy. There is no other provision in the Copyright Act that specifically authorizes the making of backup copies of works other than computer programs even if those works are distributed as digital copies.

Is it legal to sell backup copies of computer software (in online auctions or on website)? Is it legal to buy and use a backup copy of software I already own?
No. The Copyright Act does not permit anyone to sell backup copies to third parties separately from the original copy of the software. If you lawfully own a computer program, you may sell or transfer that lawful copy together with a lawfully made backup copy of the software, but you may not sell the backup copy alone.

We have been made aware of websites that are offering to sell “backup” copies of software via download over the Internet or in a custom-burned CD-R format, under the guise that section 117 permits this. Section 117 does NOT permit the sale of backup copies. Again, section 117 does not allow you to sell backup copies to someone else except when such backup copies are sold together with the original lawfully owned copy. It does not allow anyone to solely distribute “backup” copies to the public. In addition to being a violation of the exclusive right of distribution, such activity is also likely to be a violation of the terms of the license to the software. In many cases these sites appear to be a front for distribution of illegal copies, which is copyright infringement. You should be wary of sites that offer to sell you a backup copy.

And if you do buy an illegal backup copy, you will be engaging in copyright infringement if you load that illegal copy onto your computer, i.e., the unauthorized reproduction of the infringing computer program into memory. Lesson: if you want a backup copy of a lawfully owned computer program, back it up yourself.

digit1191

In the zone

I buy games which have good multiplayer !

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

DMCA doesn't apply to India.

digit1191

In the zone

I also buy games which has high VFM. Eg: Sports games which you can play for 1 yr, RPG like Witcher 2. What I don't buy is those single player games/games with bad MP which have 5-6 hr campaign. They are imo not worth the total cost

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent

In same trend I bought BF:BC2

ankush28

Bazinga

me too counter strike globle offencive ;)

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

:yawn:
People still post here?
Mission Accomplished
LEVEL UP!
Lvl 2 troll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom