Buying advice on External HDD 1TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankit_niitian

Broken In
Hi fellas,

I'm looking to buy an external hard disk of size 1TB. My budget is upto 6,000 INR. I'm a software developer and I'm going to be storing my data and virtual machine images of Linux on it. So I need a reliable solution which also performs fine (no need for very high transfer rate so USB 2.0 is enough). I don't need any synchronizing software, I'm going to manage the data myself, so whether there is a synch software or not doesn't matter. No need for encryption either, but if it is there, that's an advantage so I don't mind it. Since I want 1TB disk, so I'm okay with the need to plug in the disk to power supply, I'm not going to be taking the disk many places anyways. I narrowed down to these two models
WD-Mybook Essential
Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme
There was another model of Seagate which I liked but many people reported that it had "click of death" problem. But I want a reliable disk. So I'm not even sure if FreeAgent is a good choice. I also found two HDDs of iOmega (iOmega Prestige,iOmega eGo) but I'm not sure about its reliability either. Mybook Essential seemed to have a VCD software problem but it seems that WD has removed that problem since Nov 2009. What do you guys suggest. Is there any other drive that you would recommend or any one out of these four??

Thanks for your time :smile:

Last edited:

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
Why not buy a 1 TB drive and en external casing? If you want a solution, I'd recommend WDs one.

WD MyBook 1TB. 3 year warranty. I got it from SP Road for 5K.
Don't go for an external casing, as it tends to be unreliable. I've had one of my HDD's spoiled that way :-(. An external HDD is properly integrated with its casing unlike the one with an internal HDD and a casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom