Buying advice needed(40K): To "Quad HD" or not to "Quad HD"

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
All-right L&G,

I happen to find myself in the need of a new smartphone.Previously I have owned an HTC One X(which got stolen after 3 months of purchase) and currently I am using an LG Optimus G from which I wish to upgrade.

Now my list of priorities is the following.(Things I want the smartphone to be REALLY good at)

1. Display

2. Performance

3. Design

4. Battery life

5. Expandable storage.

My budget is around 40K + - 5K.

The list of the usual suspects is as follows.(in the order of preference)

1. LG G3

2. HTC One M8

3. SGS5

3. Sony Xperia Z2

4. SGN 3

5. LG G Pro 2

*I have been using IPS LCD screens so I thought that I might give SAMOLED a chance this time.

Now the question I have been pondering over is, to "Quad HD" or not to "Quad HD" ?. 2013 was the year of FHD screens and by extension 2014 will be the year of Quad HD screens with LG G3 being the first.

I am not sure how much of an improvement a Quad HD screen is over a FHD screen and whether I should wait for more phones to be released with Quad HD screens.

Suggestions ?

Cheers!
Abhijit

HBK007

Journeyman
+1 to the G3 as well.
But remember that there is not a lot of content for QHD screens apart from the awesome wallpapers LG provides.
Hopefully the G3 will open a door for new QHD display phones much like the Droid DNA did.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Content for QHD screen is scarce as of now. But people were complaining the same when 1080p was first introduced. Benchmarks for G3 seems to be a tad lower than the other phones(probably due to un-finalised software and the screen). And I don't expect it to launch any less than 47-48k or even higher.
But still, why not future-proof your purchase!

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I too am inclining towards the LG G3 but experience has taught me not buy a "first of its kind".

Vignesh B

Youngling
I too am inclining towards the LG G3 but experience has taught me not buy a "first of its kind".
Its second of its kind(at least in India) with Oppo Find 7's launch on June 11. :p
Anyway, G3 has got a good hardware config equivalent to if not better than other flagships. So, it should be a decent purchase.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Its second of its kind(at least in India) with Oppo Find 7's launch on June 11. :p
Anyway, G3 has got a good hardware config equivalent to if not better than other flagships. So, it should be a decent purchase.

Well, I did some "internet research" and it seems that LG G3 is plagued with lot of heating and screen issues.I don't think I will go for it.

As I said I want to try SAMOLED displays this time, what do you think of the SGS5 ?.It seems to be a good all-round phone but with 2 GB RAM.

I am concerned because Samsung refused to provide the SGS3 with a Kit kat update because it had only 1 GB RAM, the same thing may happen to SGS5(no OS update due to low RAM).

Vignesh B

Youngling
Personally, I feel S3/Note2 were Samsung's last good device.
S5 is not that bad as some claim it to be, but you have better options available. Furthermore, they release the Exynos based edition in India(read almost nil development). It has a decent display, camera and battery life though. Debloat it, strip it down to its barebones, you've a decent device. But there are people who love touchwiz and its "features".
Why don't you look out for the Z2?
More than the RAM issue, it was the huge touch-wiz which couldn't be accommodated, though Samsung pointed out to limited RAM. KitKat is optimized and runs flawlessly for 512MB RAM.

Personally none of the current flagship phones woo me. I would buy Z1C over any of them(size matters for me)

Anyways my opinions on those phones:

G3-
QHD display is overkill, battery life is affected(still it's good enough though), good camera. Overall good phone, but i doubt it would be priced at 45k, seeing the launch price of G Pro 2, which was 50k

One M8-
Good build quality, good speakers, but camera is not of flagship level. Keep the camera tricks aside, the 13MP camera of Desire 816 feels to be better than this(13MP is surely better than that of M7). So, avoid it. One E8 might be better with a lower price tag.

S5-
Design fails to impress, otherwise its a great phone, good camera, great display(best 1080p display, acc. to many reviews). To buy it or not depends on you. Surely its the cheapest of the lot @ 39k

Note 3-
Indian Note 3 is inferior to international one, so a no

Z2-
Good phone, no major con.

G Pro 2-
Good phone, no major con

HBK007

Journeyman
If you don't want to buy the G3 then yo can buy wither the One M8 or the Xperia Z2:-

HTC One M8:- Buy it if you can live with it's OK camera but the best build quality and speakers. If you are a fan of stock android like me then you can easily flash the Google Play Edition(GPE) ROM on it but Sense 6 is good as well. Also the camera is not as bad as you think, it takes pictures at only 4 MP which means you can't zoom in much but the taken shots are prettty good.
Here are some shots taken with it's camera courtesy of Engadget:
HTC One(M8) Sample Camera Shots

Sony Xperia Z2: It is also a pretty good phone which you may consider if you can't live with the m8's camera. Good specs, camera and an OK skin.

$hadow

Geek in making
Wait for proper lg g3 launch and if in hurry and build quality matters to you a lot I would say Htc one m8. I have personally seen both Z2 and m8 and m8 is actually something to crave for if you ever wanted to buy iphone but never bought it due to its size.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
1080 P >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> QHD

Having QHD screen is a Con of that phone, so deduct points from G3 for that :wink:

end of story...

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Re: Buying advice needed(40K): To "Quad HD" or not to "Quad HD"

Well, I did some "internet research" and it seems that LG G3 is plagued with lot of heating and screen issues.I don't think I will go for it.

As I said I want to try SAMOLED displays this time, what do you think of the SGS5 ?.It seems to be a good all-round phone but with 2 GB RAM.

I am concerned because Samsung refused to provide the SGS3 with a Kit kat update because it had only 1 GB RAM, the same thing may happen to SGS5(no OS update due to low RAM).

Why don't you go for Moto X Its cheaper and can do most most of work it is having a SAMOLED display.

- - - Updated - - -

1080 P >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> QHD

Having QHD screen is a Con of that phone, so deduct points from G3 for that :wink:

end of story...

QHD->4k(QUADHD) Not qHD

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz

Why don't you go for Moto X Its cheaper and can do most most of work it is having a SAMOLED display.

- - - Updated - - -

QHD->4k(QUADHD) Not qHD

Moto X would be downgrade from my LG Optimus G, I think I am gonna wait for 2-3 months before my decision.I want to see how these phones turn out.

1. Moto X+1

2. Samsung Galaxy F or Prime(the premium version of SGS5)

2. SGN 4

4. Iphone 6

$hadow

Geek in making
Qhd= 4 times of hd.
But OP if you are going to wait for another 2 months or so. So why you so early thread?

Minion

Conversation Architect

more is not always better :)

what ?????????????

Who said anything about qHD and 4k ? reread the post again...

OOps it was a big confusion on my part:oops:.

Top Bottom