Buying advice for external hdd ?

Hello,
to all of you.
I want to buy external 3.5" hdd preferably 2TB or 3TB, I want some good brand, Can you tell me How's Western Digital My book Essential? and Is it ok to buy 3tb as I have heard that it has high failure rate than 2tb? Please advice.
Thank You.
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK,

As far as I know, the WD My Book Essential has a less failure rate if compared to other brands. For customer satisfaction and ease of mind, we do provide a limited warranty service with every WD product. If in case, the hardware fails and product is still under warranty, you can claim the warranty service for replacement.

For more information about warranty policy, do check out this link.

Support Answers

For WD My Book Essential reference, you can refer to the link below.

Support Answers

I would suggest though that you go for our more current products like WD My Book or WD My Cloud, because the WD My Book Essential is considered one of our legacy products now.

Good luck

OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
Hi GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK,

As far as I know, the WD My Book Essential has a less failure rate if compared to other brands. For customer satisfaction and ease of mind, we do provide a limited warranty service with every WD product. If in case, the hardware fails and product is still under warranty, you can claim the warranty service for replacement.

For more information about warranty policy, do check out this link.

Support Answers

For WD My Book Essential reference, you can refer to the link below.

Support Answers

I would suggest though that you go for our more current products like WD My Book or WD My Cloud, because the WD My Book Essential is considered one of our legacy products now.

Good luck

Hey,
Thanks for this reply, Can you tell me what is the major difference between the My Book Essential and My Book?
Regards,
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

$hadow

Geek in making
Compare the features of both and see do you require all the features provided. But only go for WD.
Also some people report to get lesser warranty than the time provided by te company how to fix it [MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION]

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK,

There are two differences between the WD My Book Essential and WD My Book is capacity and softwares. The WD My Book Essential capacity is up to 4TB and WD My Book capacity is up to 6TB. The new WD My book has an extra features as compared to WD My Book Essential like for Windows support Acronis True Image WD Edition, WD Universal Firmware, WD SES Driver and WD Security. For Mac support, WD Universal Firmware and WD security.

For more information about WD My Book Essential, do check out this link.

Support Answers

For WD My Book reference, you can refer to the link below.

Support Answers

[MENTION=129348]shadow[/MENTION]

Normally, the warranty might starts from the manufacture date. If you have registered the WD product online, then the warranty starts from the date of purchase. I’d suggest you, after buying the product; just register your product with us.
For more information about WD product registration, you can refer to the link below.

Support Answers

If you didn't register your product, please refer the below link for your future reference.

Support Answers

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
Hi GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK,

There are two differences between the WD My Book Essential and WD My Book is capacity and softwares. The WD My Book Essential capacity is up to 4TB and WD My Book capacity is up to 6TB. The new WD My book has an extra features as compared to WD My Book Essential like for Windows support Acronis True Image WD Edition, WD Universal Firmware, WD SES Driver and WD Security. For Mac support, WD Universal Firmware and WD security.

For more information about WD My Book Essential, do check out this link.

Support Answers

For WD My Book reference, you can refer to the link below.

Support Answers

@shadow

Normally, the warranty might starts from the manufacture date. If you have registered the WD product online, then the warranty starts from the date of purchase. I’d suggest you, after buying the product; just register your product with us.
For more information about WD product registration, you can refer to the link below.

Support Answers

If you didn't register your product, please refer the below link for your future reference.

Support Answers

Hope it helps.

Hey,
Thanks for this reply, I just want to ask one thing Can you tell me which is best? as I want to use this drive in the home to take backups.
Regards,
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

$hadow

Geek in making
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] Thanks man. A friend of mine was asking for the same and also I purchased 1 TB ultra so was wondering what would happen if I got into the same problem.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hey,
Thanks for this reply, I just want to ask one thing Can you tell me which is best? as I want to use this drive in the home to take backups.
Regards,
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

Hi GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK,

I'd suggest you to go with the latest WD My book because it comes with the full version of the WD smartware Pro software. It's a pretty simple and straight forward backup software that uses minimal PC resources. Set it up once and you can forget about it :)

The following link contains details of WD Smartware Pro:-

Support Answers

[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] Thanks man. A friend of mine was asking for the same and also I purchased 1 TB ultra so was wondering what would happen if I got into the same problem.

[MENTION=129348]shadow[/MENTION]

You are welcome! Glad I could clear any doubts you might have before :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom