Buying a New PC (Mumbai) 65K

OP
A

Adude_10

Broken In
@OP

I too am gonna be building my system on a similar budget in 3 weeks and so far in my research i have selected the following:

Component | Make | Price Processor |i5 2500k|11000
Motherboard |MSI P67A-GD55|10500
Gfx Card |GTX560 Ti (from MSI)|15000
RAM |G.skill or Corsair xms3|5500
HDD |WD Black 1 tb|4600
PSU |Corsair 550VX|4900
Case |690 II Black -Advanced version with window|6000
SSD |Kingston SV100S2-64G 64GB|6500
| Total |64000

I will be most likely purchasing this exact system soon.

Hi, Any reasons why you've chosen this configuration over the one I have - For the Motherboard, Gfx Card and RAM? any pros/cons?

Thanks!!

OP
A

Adude_10

Broken In
when i asked u which monitor i ment the model number as there are no samsung 24 inch monitors available in india

Sorry I forgot to answer this earlier, I bought this back with me when I came back from the UK... I got it for around 150 GBP from ebuyer.com, don't remember the exact model since I'm not at home at the moment, buts its 24 inch (not 22 as I had mentioned earlier)

I had bought it to link up to my macbook 13" since it has a wide viewing area, and helped me loads when using excel, typing up, etc (Univ work)

DirtDiver

Broken In
Hi, Any reasons why you've chosen this configuration over the one I have - For the Motherboard, Gfx Card and RAM? any pros/cons?

Reasons:

Motherboard: U selected Intel DP67BG. This was my first choice too..but u just cant find it any where. So i started looking into other brands. Problem with Asus is that they have disabled setting CPU voltage in some of the below 12k models(non pro ones). Gigabyte and MSI have no such problem. But all Gigabyte boards have an old blue screen BIOS where as MSI boards have mouse enabled UEFI bios. So this depends on your choice. Also MSI boards come with slightly better extras. Check their websites.
MSI P67A-GD55 falls into my budget( Rs 10500 is online price..i hope ill get it even cheaper)

Gfx Card: The one u selected(GTX570) is great, but out of my budget. So i settled for 560. Also the MSI motherboard i selected supports SLI so i could buy another 560 in 6-8 months(if i feel the need).

RAM: Im buying the same Gskill ram, but the 8Gb kit. Although 4Gb is fine too.

OP
A

Adude_10

Broken In
Thanks for that info. I spoke to a couple of dealers today and heard a similar response. I'm thinking of alternatively going in for the ASUS P8P67 PRO. Any feedback on that?

In terms of the Gfx card, I'm oscillating between the ASUS GTX570 Direct CU II & the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II or the MSI. However, heard some really good reviews of the Frozr online (amazon) and in comparison to the Direct CU II it gives it a good run for its money (According to the online reviews). In terms of budget its about 5k lesser. Don't know much about the one that was mentioned for 18.5k though.

I've heard that taking an SSD can be difficult to accommodate, and the difference in games isn't very great (Again, according to another forum).. So may just opt in for a normal HDD..

DirtDiver

Broken In
Ya asus Pro is great.
Review:
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA1155 Sandy Bridge Motherboard Review | Hardware Canucks

Can pls type all the motherboard price quotes u got..it would help me for my build(as i hav only few online prices, didnt get a chance to visit local shopes yet)

The Twin Frozr II model from MSI comes in both ATI and NVIDIA cards. So only buy the twin frozer thing..no matter which one u chose. I havnt compared the cards u chose..so cant say.Ill mostly get 560

And SSD hardly would make any 'in game performance' difference. It would just shorten the game loadtimes and windows booting/searching times. It would be best to change ur HDD choice to WD black(fast!) from seagate 7200.12 and forget bout SSD till such time the tech matures a bit more.(Buy it next yr, if needed)

Nd pls gimme ur local shop prce quotes for mobo..

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
direct cu II is excellent but huge (3 slot cooler) and twin frozr II and III are just wow. msi rarely charges extra for a twin frozr over a reference.
i recommend a 6970 as it performs on par with gtx570 but gives better multi gpu performance.

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2500k|11000
Motherboard |ASUS P8P67 PRO|12000
RAM | G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL | 3200
Graphic Card |MSI HD6970 2GB|20500
HDD |Seagate ITB 7200.12 * 2 RAID|5400
PSU |SeaSonic S12D 850|7100
Case |CM 690 II Advanced Transparent Side Panel|5500
| Total |63700

if you want an ssd look at minimum 60GB. i suggest a Corsair Force 60GB for 7k.

get i7 if only ur budget permits, u need not worry for 6-8 yrs....

how come 6-8 years??
can you think of the most powerful proccy in 2004 sufficient to run games at high setting with gtx580 now?
and considering tech is advancing faster than before now, that is too much long time.

OP
A

Adude_10

Broken In
Hey, the following are the prices I was emailed today by one of the dealers, I may haggle with them a bit more though:

Intel Core i5 2500k = not available tomorrow will be confirm the price
ASUS p8p67 PRO = 12000/-
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL = 2500/-
MSI GTX560ti TwinFrozer II = 15500/- coming on after 2days
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 = 2700/-
Asus 24X SATA DVD = 1000/-
SeaSonic S12D 750 (SS750JS = 5400/-)
CM 690 II Advanced Transparent Side Panel = 5800/-
Razer Cyclosa bundle = 2250/-

I've posted a couple of similar prices earlier, but they're more or less +1k-2k of the price quoted in the configs. (at max)

On a side note, I had a chance to go through some other posts, and realized that most of the questions discussed here are already answered there. The only thing I found missing was a List of Pro's and Con's between:

1. Motherboards
2. GPUs

I'm assuming that the rest of the parts used in the PC would be as per the owners requirements, but I found that in all the earlier posts, these were the two widely discussed topics, and there's no clear consensus (till almost towards the end of the post) on what the Owner is thinking of buying, primarily because they don't know what the capabilities of the cards are. But Hats off to the folks in the forum for patiently answering these questions!! Really appreciate the effort.

On that note, could anyone guide us to a site which has say a simplified review of the GPU's discussed here (CU II, Frozr, MSI HD6970 2GB, etc)? looking for a comparative review if possible.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
how come 6-8 years??
can you think of the most powerful proccy in 2004 sufficient to run games at high setting with gtx580 now?
and considering tech is advancing faster than before now, that is too much long time.

buddy i am sure, i7 2600K will be able to handle all games in 2017

Piyush

Lanaya
here are some articles which might help you in narrowing down your list for graphic cards

-->Best PCIe Card: $175 To $300 : Best Graphics Cards For the Money: March 2011

-->Best PCIe Card: $300 To $400 : Best Graphics Cards For the Money: March 2011

just look for the graphic card you want and click on its link

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Core i7 2600k will stay top notch for another few months (hopefully) and will be able to pass through 2012 at most. 2012 H2 or 2013 you will need a new CPU to max things out. 2013 H2 / 2014 you will need a new CPU for bare acceptable gaming decently!

Piyush

Lanaya
Core i7 2600k will stay top notch for another few months (hopefully) and will be able to pass through 2012 at most. 2012 H2 or 2013 you will need a new CPU to max things out. 2013 H2 / 2014 you will need a new CPU for bare acceptable gaming decently!

you have a nice sense of humor

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Core i7 is at the end of its life.

2012/2013 will see a new line of CPUs like Core 2 Duo were replaced by Core i7s and within 1-2 years C2Ds and even C2Qs became useless. Simiarly, wait another 1.5-2.5 years and Core i7s will be useless.

Core i7s are in business since 2008 or so which means around 3 years now and even Ivy Bridge won't be a major jump.

So in 2013, after 5 long years, you need to expect a really BIG jump. Mark my words!

arko1983

In the zone

you have a nice sense of humor

+1
certainly funny :smile:
hardly few games use dual cores.so until it uses quad core as min req ,i7 will be ok.

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
If you max out settings of games like GTA IV or even Crysis 2, CPUs like Q9650 @ 4GHz or AMD X6 @ 3 GHz, they are really pathetic, really really pathetic. And The Q9xxx series became outdated about 2 years back.

I wasn't able to get the smoothness I need from any less than a Core i5/i7 Quad since 2009 Half 2.

And FPS is only part of the deal, smoothness, snappiness, butterness and no stuttering are many other things which FPS doesn't tell.

The fact that you are not even aware of this much shows your level of awareness in technology. And of course you have zero experience based on the statements you made.

Enter 2014 and Core i9s and i7s won't be playable at max settings, it could well be in mid 2012, but 2014 is the very max when even the fastest of today's CPUs will need to be upgraded, irrepective of the overclock.

And I can't think of a single game today which doesn't use at least 4 cores, for practical purposes!

And for your info, a comparison btw 2600k and 9550

Compare Intel Core i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge 4c/8t), Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.80GHz Processor

Gaming is the area where CPUs show the least difference and even there:

Left 4 Dead 2
260 FPS on 2600k
170 FPS on 9550

Now that is more than 50% difference. And please don't be idiotic enough to say that both 170 and 260 FPS are enough because in future apps including many of the currently released games, it will be 17 FPS and 26 FPS respectively, and currently, it is probably 34 FPS and 52 FPS respectively which is a HUGE difference.

And on an average, in most CPU intensive games, a Core i7 2600k = 2 x 9550 and for other things it could be 2-10x times as fast!

arko1983

In the zone
If you max out settings of games like GTA IV or even Crysis 2, CPUs like Q9650 @ 4GHz or AMD X6 @ 3 GHz, they are really pathetic, really really pathetic. And The Q9xxx series became outdated about 2 years back.

I wasn't able to get the smoothness I need from any less than a Core i5/i7 Quad since 2009 Half 2.

And FPS is only part of the deal, smoothness, snappiness, butterness and no stuttering are many other things which FPS doesn't tell.

The fact that you are not even aware of this much shows your level of awareness in technology. And of course you have zero experience based on the statements you made.

Enter 2014 and Core i9s and i7s won't be playable at max settings, it could well be in mid 2012, but 2014 is the very max when even the fastest of today's CPUs will need to be upgraded, irrepective of the overclock.

And I can't think of a single game today which doesn't use at least 4 cores, for practical purposes!

And for your info, a comparison btw 2600k and 9550

Compare Intel Core i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge 4c/8t), Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.80GHz Processor

Gaming is the area where CPUs show the least difference and even there:

Left 4 Dead 2
260 FPS on 2600k
170 FPS on 9550

Now that is more than 50% difference. And please don't be idiotic enough to say that both 170 and 260 FPS are enough because in future apps including many of the currently released games, it will be 17 FPS and 26 FPS respectively, and currently, it is probably 34 FPS and 52 FPS respectively which is a HUGE difference.

And on an average, in most CPU intensive games, a Core i7 2600k = 2 x 9550 and for other things it could be 2-10x times as fast!

1 thing to note is that few games r coming out pc only ie development is made for consoles ,later pc support is added.So grafix is going down the drain.supreme commander> sp2,crysis>crysis 2 etc.As for the gta problem i faced it personally with my 4 years old p4ht(1 core,1 thread)pc.8cores is the maximun that is being developed(consult wiki pages) in Haswell / Broadwell which comes out at 2013
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)
Even if they launch 8 core in sandy-ivy bridge its going to be too costly so coders wont go for 8 cores until price is around 15k-20k inr.So my guess is i7 will run smoothly until 2014 end of 2015 start.

Top Bottom