Buying a HD monitor for gaming (& surfing & watching movies)

anarchy0x

In the zone
I bought my last one 2-3 years back, without asking anyone online & relying solely on the shop person & deeply regretted it as it wasn't Full HD. I own a Samsung S20A300N which has a maximum resolution of 1600X900.

My config:

CPU Intel i5 3570k
MB Maximus V Gene
RAM Gskill 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
Cabinet Corsair 400r cabinet
HDD 1 TB
ZOTAC 970 GTX Amp Core Extreme

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I'll be using the monitor for surfing, playing games & watching movies. [/FONT]
Now, this is going to be a slightly complex decision because I'd also like to include the answer to the following questions:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]1) What is the highest resolution that games these days have & in upcoming future display? I understand that 1920x1080 is by far the most popular PC gaming monitor resolution but I've also seen monitors which have
2560x1440 (& maybe even higher but not sure). Does it make sense buying 2560X1440 ? Is it more future proof & worth the investment?
[/FONT]

2) Which HD monitor should I buy? I mean the size, brand etc. (like 21 inch or 24 or 27 etc)
As of now, there isn't a certain budget limit that I've now so would like to know all the options available. I mean, I wouldn't prefer spending something like RS 40,000 on a monitor but if it's worth it, then maybe I can consider it.
I also know it's a bit of a personal decision but would still like to have your input, based on the following questions:

3) What should I choose between ? A big monitor on which graphics may slightly tear up coz of it's big size? Or a medium sized monitor that will allow full resolution on it's screen? i. no pixel tearing

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]4) If the monitor resolution is too big, will it affect the performance? Will there be too much lag etc? [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]5) Is there some way to decide on a perfect size? This is lightly based on question no 3...Like, should i choose between a good size or better frame rate? What do you guys prefer & which is more enjoyable? Like buying a big monitor & sitting away from it or buying a medium sized monitor & sitting a bit closer to it...You get my questions.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
6) What should be my sitting distance from the monitor for 21 inch, 23 inch, 24 inch, 27 inch etc??
Would there be a different sitting distance for a) surfing than b) playing games or c) watching movies?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I know some of these questions may seem far fetched, but they matter to me. Thanks.[/FONT]

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
1) 2560x1440. Definitely future proof.

2) Dell UltraSharp U2715H @ 49k

Link:*www.theitdepot.com/details-Dell+UltraSharp+27inch+Monitor+(U2715H)_C7P24063.html

3&4) It will not affect performance if the monitor is too big.

5&6) 2 feet from the monitor as usual.

HE-MAN

Ambassador of Buzz
i dont thing gtx 970 will max all games at 1440p. and with nvidia DSR you can do 1440p or 2160p or 1080p.

Ironman

In the zone
Also
Freesync or GSync

I already Posted a Question
*www.digit.in/forum/hardware-q/193225-freesync-g-sync-one-better-indian-market-long-run.html

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
Thank a lot, all of you.

i dont thing gtx 970 will max all games at 1440p. and with nvidia DSR you can do 1440p or 2160p or 1080p.

Oh, I thought the same too :(. I spent 30k+ on my GPU to especially avoid lags as I hate them.

I guess I'll have to choose between playing at bigger screen on 1440p with some lags Or playing on 23 inch something without lag. As of now, I think I prefer playing on a smaller screen without lag but I'll think about it.

Ironman, interesting info, I'll go through it.

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
I'm wondering what people here would prefer?
a huge resolution on a huge monitor with lag
OR
a huge resolution on a huge monitor with some compromise in graphics
OR
a smooth running game on a smaller monitor/resolution

Hrishi

Smoothly running the game on a 22-24" display.
Ps : it depends on the type of game being played.
Racing games are good on huge screens and fps won't haunt them much.
FPS games are going to be difficult on big displays, unless you are used to.
You don't have to move around your eyes and neck much on small displays.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Look at this model...fits just fine with gtx 970

BenQ XL2411Z 24-inch LED Gaming Monitor

BenQ XL2411Z 24" LED TN Monitor -24,999

Link:BenQ XL2411Z 24 inch LED Backlit LCD Monitor (Gaming) Price in India - Buy BenQ XL2411Z 24 inch LED Backlit LCD Monitor (Gaming) online at Flipkart.com

Top Bottom