Buying a GTX970, which one shall I look for?

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I know that card, GTX 580 Lightning performs very close to a mobile GTX 780M which i had in my previous laptop, which performs very close to a R9-270X if we try to compare it with a latest gen card. I would say 7-10K depending on warranty left.
Damn if it performs as good as a 780 then how much gain could I expect from a 970!

Anyway, thanks for your reply, don't think it has any warranty left, so 7-7.5k seems like a fair price for it.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Damn if it performs as good as a 780 then how much gain could I expect from a 970!

Anyway, thanks for your reply, don't think it has any warranty left, so 7-7.5k seems like a fair price for it.

780M =/= 780 :|

You never replied how much that x5675 is costing you.

arthasdk

Right off the assembly line
guys I am also thinking of buying one 2-3 days later, can you suggest which brand to buy MSI/Asus Strix? Please help! thanks

edit : Not April Fool... ffs

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Okay, so I am bringing this topic up, after seeing the other 970 topic about temperature and all that.

The thing is, mine reaches 78°C after playing Advanced Warfare for 45 minutes (and it was a rainy day, so it will only be higher on normal summer days), now to my experience with previous GPUs it's normal, but still, shall I install any software and increase the fans' RPM to make that temp cooler? A CD is provided by Asus with the 970, I didn't bother to see what it contains, does it come with some kind of app which I should install?

Kindly provide your valuable suggestions.

shadem99

Broken In
Re: Bought a 970. Temperature related queries

zotac amp extreme....go for it blindly or zotac amp extreme core edition

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Okay, so I am bringing this topic up, after seeing the other 970 topic about temperature and all that.

The thing is, mine reaches 78°C after playing Advanced Warfare for 45 minutes (and it was a rainy day, so it will only be higher on normal summer days), now to my experience with previous GPUs it's normal, but still, shall I install any software and increase the fans' RPM to make that temp cooler? A CD is provided by Asus with the 970, I didn't bother to see what it contains, does it come with some kind of app which I should install?

Kindly provide your valuable suggestions.

I have shared this before. Download MSI afterburner or dig the asus app to find out two things, what is the fan-temperature curve your card is currently following and what temperature and fan speed you are getting in realtime, It should be a straightforward curve with fanspeed in Y and temp in X axis, usually set us flat 60 then stepped.

Meaning if you choose to customize the fan curve the above programs will allow you to override the existing fan settings, it will bring up the graphic area where you can add your own co-ordinates which will modify the curve and its linearity or curvature and that profile you can save and apply to make effective. ASUS MSI or other AIB now follow ZerodB protocol which only allows the fans to spin-up after the card reaches > 60 deg c, above that it will follow a standard curve upto allowed threshold temp level.

But if you are not happy with that, you can adjust the curve to let the fan spin at all time but at X=Y factor upto 60 or ++, example at 40 deg c, the fan speed factor is 40~ some RPM, at 50 deg C it will exactly increase to the point where fan speed is exactly equivalent to that X=Y rule factor.

78 deg is not alarming, but no doubt high, and AW has a bad habit of pushing VRAM hard, i got max 70 deg with that game AFAIR. If you download afterburner, you turn it on, you immediately will find rivatuner Statistics Server is active. Open Afterburner, go to On Screen Display Tab, select GPU fanspeed, and temperature and vram usage check boxes to have on OSD, and then go to rivatuner Stat Server to turn OSD service on.

It will display your fanspeed, temp, gpu and vram usage in-game as a HUD on some corners of your screen, that will help you get a better understanding.

Top Bottom