Buying a GTX970, which one shall I look for?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Bought a 970. Temperature related queries

First of all sorry for coming back here but I need some suggestions regarding my purchase, so pardon me for that.

I am buying a GTX970 but I am unsure as to which one to get? I mean there are different models and I just want to purchase the best one out there inside my budget. I have read quite a bit and I have gathered some informations like Gigabyte G1 is a very good card, but it has some VRAM issues? Then I have also heard good things about Asus Strix edition and some MSI one too, and there is another EVGA FTW version which turns off its fans when temperature goes below some certain level etc., so I am actually confused.

I just want the best performing card, which will run cool and will be power efficient. Budget is 30k, could be added if needed.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Forgot to mention that my cabby is kind of small, its a CM 690 II Plus version, so I need to make sure that the card fits the cabinet properly and after installation have decent amount of space (I mean not touching the hard disk trays and all that).

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Buy Online ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 ZT-90101-10P Graphic Card in India

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP Omega Edition - Buy Graphics Card Online @ Best Prices on Snapdeal.com

ASUS GRAPHICS CARD GTX 970 4GB DDR5 DC II OC STRIX EDITION (STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 - STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 - )

MSI Geforce GTX970 4GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Cards (GTX 970 GAMING 4G) price in india Rs.31400. Buy MSI Geforce GTX970 4GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Cards (GTX 970 GAMING 4G) online : Theitdepot.com

VRAM issue am not sure what you are referring to specifically with G1, if you could post a link where you have came across, would be good. Apart from that, VRAM issues with GTX 970 is spread all over internet. I have made posts here how big it is, where does it matter and also why you can still buy this card for 1440P gaming with very high settings and still get brilliant gaming experience despite its lack of alleged 0.5 gigs of VRAM out of advertised full speed 4GB. Google and read-up everything about GTX 970 and decide.

BTW all GTX 970, MSI, Asus, EVGA ( board partners for nvidia) has implemented silent or 0dB Fan control, which ensures the fans turn off when temp drops below 60-62 deg. You can manually override it in their proprietary software and set your own fanspeed-temp curve.

P.S. G1 is a big card, and not really up too high in factory OC compared to STRIX or MSI, speaking of which MSI is pricier in India for some convoluted reason. Better go with STRIX. I personally dont like the zotac non-amp versions coz it looks bland ( my opinion ).

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Buy Online ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 ZT-90101-10P Graphic Card in India

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP Omega Edition - Buy Graphics Card Online @ Best Prices on Snapdeal.com

ASUS GRAPHICS CARD GTX 970 4GB DDR5 DC II OC STRIX EDITION (STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 - STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 - )

MSI Geforce GTX970 4GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Cards (GTX 970 GAMING 4G) price in india Rs.31400. Buy MSI Geforce GTX970 4GB DDR5 Nvdia PCI E Graphic Cards (GTX 970 GAMING 4G) online : Theitdepot.com

VRAM issue am not sure what you are referring to specifically with G1, if you could post a link where you have came across, would be good. Apart from that, VRAM issues with GTX 970 is spread all over internet. I have made posts here how big it is, where does it matter and also why you can still buy this card for 1440P gaming with very high settings and still get brilliant gaming experience despite its lack of alleged 0.5 gigs of VRAM out of advertised full speed 4GB. Google and read-up everything about GTX 970 and decide.

BTW all GTX 970, MSI, Asus, EVGA ( board partners for nvidia) has implemented silent or 0dB Fan control, which ensures the fans turn off when temp drops below 60-62 deg. You can manually override it in their proprietary software and set your own fanspeed-temp curve.

P.S. G1 is a big card, and not really up too high in factory OC compared to STRIX or MSI, speaking of which MSI is pricier in India for some convoluted reason. Better go with STRIX. I personally dont like the zotac non-amp versions coz it looks bland ( my opinion ).

Thanks for replying mate. I actually have no detailed info about that VRAM usage thing, I just read it on Newegg and posted here, I had no idea that it was about the lack of memory usage or something like that. Well I am quite sure that 0.5 GB won't make that much difference.

Anyway, do you think that going for a 980 would be rather worth it than 970? I mean 980 is quite steep at this moment and I don't think the price difference with 970 doesn't justify the performance difference right?

And also I don't play at 1440p, but 1200p. However I am thinking about moving to a 1080p 120 Hz monitor. Its becoming indecisive for me whether to choose more frames or more resolution, while I am having a slight preference for the former over the latter.

So I am guessing that going for the Asus makes sense then huh? I mean I don't think I will manually OC the card (I always plan to do that but ultimately don't do it anyway!), so I am ruling out the G1 as you are saying its not as high in frequency than Strix or the MSI, so I will have to choose the one which comes with more freq from factory settings itself. My current 580 is an MSI and the 560 before that was an Asus, so I guess I will just go for the Asus to keep the rhythm, LOL!

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Prices in india+1080P gaming+ GTX 980= OVERRKILLL!!!!

GTX 970 is perfect for 1080P 120Hz. Check the MSI GTX 970 card-height once, yes the height with the protruding heat pipes, and then check cabinet width if it touches your bays or side walls of cabinet. If not, buy it eyes closed. It fits in ur budget too. I have this card, top notch performance.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
All right brother, checking both of them out now. Height shouldn't be a problem as I don't remember where my cabinet's side panel is :lol:

PS: Actually the temptation of getting a 980 came when I saw an ad on Ebay where a user is selling his 980 at 39k (Asus Strix) and I can get it with coupon for 35.5k, LOL, but its used, so that's a bummer :(

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Ha ha I know, however I clean it when I see that it looks like, well a non-cabinet :lol:

Anyway, just seeing the dimensions of the card, well according to MSI's site the card is, 269 x 141 x 35 mm, while my current one is 305x127x45mm, so its much smaller except in height (as you said), now I need to understand how much difference (or problematic) this additional 14 mm will be!

The Asus Strix is 280x140x40 mm, so its bigger than the MSI 970.

This is the conclusion after reading review of both cards,
Together with the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX, the MSI GTX 970 Gaming is the best GTX 970 on the market; honestly, I couldn't decide which to pick. They are both awesome and very similar in what they deliver. The only significant difference I could find is that the MSI GTX 970 runs 8°C cooler during gaming while producing the same amount of noise, which could help avoid potential throttling (82°C) if you live in an extremely hot climate with room temperatures far above 30°C. The thermal difference doesn't make a difference to anyone else. ASUS, on the other hand, offers a baseplate, which the MSI card does not. Both cards are also similarly priced. The choice is yours!

Coin flip basically.

What's a baseplate though?

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Q2 2015 is so close
Y U NO wait for the R9 3xx, considering its brand new tech (HBM) and every source on the internet says there's massive performance difference between DDR5 and HBM
Sure the 970 is a solid card for it's price but the 3xx series doh, so close

PS: welcome back to the forum

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Q2 2015 is so close
Y U NO wait for the R9 3xx, considering its brand new tech (HBM) and every source on the internet says there's massive performance difference between DDR5 and HBM
Sure the 970 is a solid card for it's price but the 3xx series doh, so close

PS: welcome back to the forum

799$ Card wont come cheap in india, also overkill for 1080p , makes more sense to wait for R9-380X or something. Untill then have to play one game, the WAITING GAME!

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Nah don't want to go the AMD route, no disrespect but I've seen too many complaints about them, especially on software part!

Nah, no more waiting, I've waited long enough, I just don't have any intention to wait any more. Besides I've plan to use this card for two years or something, so I guess it's all right.

I hope this card and the X5675 I'm about to order will help me to play the GTA V and upcoming games at highest settings.

- - - Updated - - -

^^Did you mean backplate?

Yes, backplate.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Nah don't want to go the AMD route, no disrespect but I've seen too many complaints about them, especially on software part!

Nah, no more waiting, I've waited long enough, I just don't have any intention to wait any more. Besides I've plan to use this card for two years or something, so I guess it's all right.

I hope this card and the X5675 I'm about to order will help me to play the GTA V and upcoming games at highest settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, backplate.

How much is that x5675 costing you?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, backplate.

A backplate , essentially is a metallic plate attached to back side of a Graphics Card, covering it entirely to conceal the chip-ends and circuitry from anything outside.

Pros.

-Enhances the rigidity and durability of the card.
-Prevents the card from warping/bending in its own weight
-Makes the card look more clean neat and cooler.

Cons

--None except it DOES NOT help in performance, it does NOT help in cooling, it does NOT help in noise reduction or anything related to core attributes of a Graphics card.

Conclusion- Its nice to have one, but it doesnt hurt not to. Not a deal breaker. If a better card has no backplate and an inferior(in terms of vcore/mem/boost/price ) one does , buy the former.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Oh ha ha, its more of an aesthetic thingy then, nothing much of usage when its about performance or cooling, so having it or not, both are okay, as you said.

I am getting it this Thurs or Friday, I will just get whatever is cheaper to be honest. Buying it locally, from MD Computers, not seeing any advantage of buying online as the prices are not any better than the shop.

[MENTION=150630]sam_738844[/MENTION]: I am reading all these reports that a 970 bottlenecks (or can) older CPUs! Hmm, knowing I have a i7 950 running at stock clock rate, well could that be a problem? I mean I will get the X5675 all right but that's still same frequency, unless I overclock it! Should I be worried about this?

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
A great many things matter alongside with frequency when judging a processor. IPC, cache, boost, efficiency...X5675 is more than cabaple.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
A great many things matter alongside with frequency when judging a processor. IPC, cache, boost, efficiency...X5675 is more than cabaple.

Oh okay thanks. No problem then.

Off topic query, how much do you think I can get for my 580? It was bought from a member called tkin here some two years ago. It's the MSI Lightning Twin Frozr or something.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I know that card, GTX 580 Lightning performs very close to a mobile GTX 780M which i had in my previous laptop, which performs very close to a R9-270X if we try to compare it with a latest gen card. I would say 7-10K depending on warranty left.

Top Bottom