Buying 2TB external HD..To make an internal HD external using casing or buy an original external?

anarchy0x

In the zone
Spoke with a computer tech, he said that if an internal is converted to external, it gives better speed. Another one said an original external gives better speed. So I am confused.

My main need is storage though I would like it to be fast, if feasible.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Re: Buying 2TB external HD..To make an internal HD external using casing or buy an original external

How do you propose to use it? As a mobile storage option or tethered storage? Laptop or desktop?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Re: Buying 2TB external HD..To make an internal HD external using casing or buy an original external

How do you propose to use it? As a mobile storage option or tethered storage? Laptop or desktop?

Op mentioned external drive read his post carefully

@op get an original external IMO the case and warranty is better or get a USB 3.0 enclosure with an ssd if u want pure speed
Otherwise WD makes the best external hdds even my elements 2tb is faster than most 3.0 drives despite being only 2.0

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl

Op mentioned external drive read his post carefully

I was looking for more information than what is provided. I will explain.

I have 2 external hard disks of Transcend and Seagate respectively. Then I have a self-assembled external using a cannibalised laptop hard disk and Transcend enclosure.

I have recently acquired a WD 2 TB Black internal hard disk that I am trying to put in an enclosure. I bought an enclosure recently from SJP Road, Bangalore but that did not work. I have seen a vDrive branded enclosure on eBay which seems to be far better.

Now coming to hard disks themselves, I understand that these days the laptop models are 5k something rpm while desktop drives are generally 7200 rpm and some are even 10k rpm. This would also be a factor when considering the total read/write speed.

Regarding desktop/laptop, the external hard disks based on laptop drives run on USB power and are suitable hence for use on the go with a laptop while the desktop drive based units would need separate external power.

I hope I explained correct.

flyingcow

Shibe

if i take an internal drive and use it as external, wont i have to connect satapower and sata cable?? :?:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl

That is where the enclosure comes into play. The enclosure needs external power supply. It has a board that translates SATA to USB.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

I was looking for more information than what is provided. I will explain.

I have 2 external hard disks of Transcend and Seagate respectively. Then I have a self-assembled external using a cannibalised laptop hard disk and Transcend enclosure.

I have recently acquired a WD 2 TB Black internal hard disk that I am trying to put in an enclosure. I bought an enclosure recently from SJP Road, Bangalore but that did not work. I have seen a vDrive branded enclosure on eBay which seems to be far better.

Now coming to hard disks themselves, I understand that these days the laptop models are 5k something rpm while desktop drives are generally 7200 rpm and some are even 10k rpm. This would also be a factor when considering the total read/write speed.

Regarding desktop/laptop, the external hard disks based on laptop drives run on USB power and are suitable hence for use on the go with a laptop while the desktop drive based units would need separate external power.

I hope I explained correct.

Ohh sorry I mistook you for one of them "forum trolls" or one of those people who just post for the heck of it
You're right though the external hdds which are factory built and are USB powered are 5200rpm drives and drives like my wd elements 2tb are actually 7200rpm drives which need more power ie from a external power supply
But by experience an aftermarket enclosure isn't very reliable so op should get a elements se or any other original drive like me or a original USB powered drive
Another great option is a decent ssd + 3.0 enclosure USB powered which is faster than 7200rpm drives and uses lesser power but smaller storage
Hope I helped :)

flyingcow

Shibe

That is where the enclosure comes into play. The enclosure needs external power supply. It has a board that translates SATA to USB.
aah i see..too much hassle better go with true ext. hdd OP

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone

WD Elements 3 TB External Hard disk Price in India

Any thoughts on the above? I know it's USB 2.0 but speed is secondary to me, storage is main. Though it may take me years to use the whole 3TB :razz: The above seems very enticing for me considering the size/price option.

ithehappy

Human Spambot

Otherwise WD makes the best external hdds even my elements 2tb is faster than most 3.0 drives despite being only 2.0
What the heck does this even mean?

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone

Any thoughts on this--
WD Elements 3 TB External Hard disk Price in India ?

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone

Any thoughts on the above?? seems to be good for price vs storage space

Top Bottom