Building PC for photoshop / video editing / general use with 40k

banskt

Broken In
Hi all,

I am trying to build a new PC.
Please help me in building this system.

I have also filled up the questionnaire, so that you might help.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
  • I will NOT play any game, :)
  • Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator / Dreamweaver and other Adobe Suite softwares... 5-6 hours / day
  • Video editing, not on huge scale... things like ripping, encoding etc, 3 - 5 times per month
  • Heavy torrenting, hopefully the system will never be shut down!!!
  • Watching HD movies, 720p / 1080p, other general purpose.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance
but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
Yes, obviously

3. What is your MAX budget?
Rs. 40,000, give or take a few.

4. Planning to overclock?
Presently, I am not a master in OC, but may try that over the years. As for now, NO.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
Linux(possibly, Ubuntu) and Windows 7 64bit

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
not quite sure, 500GB could be enough. anyway, there is always an option for upgrading.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen?
possibly, I would get a Dell U2211H / U2311H. That is 1920x1080. Size is 21" for U2211H, or 23" for U2311H

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
7/10

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
I have never built before, but this time, I will do it.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
Within 2 weeks.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
Probably, yes.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
Keyboard, mouse, speaker, optical drive. - I already have the peripherals :)

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
I live in Bangalore. Probably, I would buy from S.P. Road (KR Market) but I have no problem in shipping it from other cities/states/countries.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
- I have a wireless connection.
- Since it would be mainly used for designing purpose, I would like to have an IPS panel. I know that would eat up a major portion of my budget, around 13.5k if I go for Dell U2311K.

Here is what I have in mind:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (Rs. 9.5k) ... not sure about it though, your suggestion is extremely important
Motherboard:
• Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H 880G
• Asus M4A87TD-USB3
which one to use? (both will be within 5-6k, if I am not wrong.) I am open to other suggestions as well.

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (Rs. 5k)
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB (has it arrived in India yet?.. if not, I will buy a cheap 500 GB/ 250GB hard disk for the time being.)
Case: To be suggested (need to consider heating problem as system will run for hours without shutdown)
PSU: To be suggested
GPU: Planning to use onboard GPU.
Monitor: Dell U2211H / U2311H (Rs. 13,500 / Rs. 15,000) - the cheapest IPS monitor around, AFAIK... may be you could suggest something.

Please help me to finalise the PC. If anybody is from Bangalore and knows about the price in S.P. Road, it would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Phenom II x6 1055t @ 9.5k
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H @ 4.6k
2GB DDR3 1333 MHz * 2 @ 5.2k
Sapphire HD5670 @ 5.2k
Samsung 500GB @ 1.8k
Fsp saga II 500W @ 2.7k
NZXT GAMMA @ 2k

total-31k
rest on ips panel
total around 44k
else skip the graphics card and get saga 400w @ 2k

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Sapphire HD5670 @ 5.2k
Samsung 500GB @ 1.8k
Fsp saga II 500W @ 2.7k
NZXT GAMMA @ 2k

total-31k

get Biostar TA785G3 HD. cause both are same board only. hardly any difference except the sideport memory.

rest on ips panel
total around 44k

nice one.

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
Sapphire HD5670 @ 5.2k
Samsung 500GB @ 1.8k
Fsp saga II 500W @ 2.7k
NZXT GAMMA @ 2k

total-31k
rest on ips panel
total around 44k

Thanks for the great suggestion... I think I will skip the graphics card as of now, and build the core of the rig, and leave scopes of improvement later. AFAIK, photoshop / illustrator uses CUDA, hence I may add a cheap low-end graphics card later.

get Biostar TA785G3 HD. cause both are same board only. hardly any difference except the sideport memory.

I was also thinking about using the 880G chipset and go for Asus M4A87TD-USB3 mobo, which comes at approx. Rs. 5.6 k

- Would that be an overkill?
- Is there any significant difference between 785G chipset and 880G chipset?
- I do not have much idea, could you please let me know the pros and cons of these motherboards in discussion, namely Biostar TA785G3 HD, Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H, Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, Asus M4A87TD-USB3? Does it all boils down to price and shall I go for the cheapest one?

Last edited:

chiroo

Broken In
the current price of 1055t in bangalore is 9400 ,this is excluding profit so you have to pay 300-400 more , depends on your bargaining skill , the processor is running cool right now at 44c , but first go there and check the street prices yourself at #114 ankit infotech and aashirwaad computers right behind ankit , ill send you the details by pm , but u have to go there atleast once before ur puchase to know whats going on there ,if you dont have the time , ill speak to the dealer about you if u are willing to purchase there :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I was also thinking about using the 880G chipset and go for Asus M4A87TD-USB3 mobo, which comes at approx. Rs. 5.6 k

that board is based on 870X chipset, it got no graphics. you may personally check the board's rear part. it got no video connectors.

also avoid Asus. they use VIA audio. and chances are you will face problem. dual ch memory will bring BSOD. just know Asus = headache.

- Would that be an overkill?
- Is there any significant difference between 785G chipset and 880G chipset?
- I do not have much idea, could you please let me know the pros and cons of these motherboards in discussion, namely Biostar TA785G3 HD, Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H, Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H, Asus M4A87TD-USB3? Does it all boils down to price and shall I go for the cheapest one?

785G & 880G chipset is almost same. just SB850 chipset got native Sata 3.0. else hardly any change.

Biostar TA785G3 HD as well as Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H. both uses solid capacitors in processor area. rest all are electrolyte. nothing much of a bad point i would say considering the price. Biostar board got 128Mb DDR3 memory on board. a bonus :smile:

as told already Asus is 870X board. no IGP. so nothing to talk more. the Gigabyte 880G is priced just too high. skip it. US 3.0 & Sata 3.0 can be added later though expansion cards.

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
I went to S. P. Road yesterday to find out the prices. As suggested by Chiroo, I went to Ankith Infotech and Aashirwad Computers as well as other dealers. Here is a pricelist (lowest price among the different quotes are mentioned)

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - Rs. 9500.00

Motherboard:
The dealers told me that they Biostar boards are out of stock. They gave me prices for other MoBo's but they are highly priced:

MSI 890GXM - G65 Rs. 7100
Gigabyte 880 GMA UD2H Rs. 6150

Does anybody know where could I get Biostar boards?

RAM
2*2GB DDR3 1333
Corsair Rs. 5300
Kingston Rs. 5200
G.Skill Rs. 5700

GPU
512 MB GT-210 DDR2 Rs. 2300

Case
NZXT Gamma Rs. 2500
Cooler Master Elite 310 Rs. 1650

PSU
FSP Saga II 500W Rs. 2450
Corsair VX450 Rs. 3650

Please let me know if the prices are ok.

Configuration:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 9500
MoBo: To be decided.
RAM: 2*2GB DDR3 1333 (Kingston) @ 5200
PSU: FSP Saga II 500W @ 2450
Case: NZXT Gamma @ 2500
UPS: APC 550V @ 1650
Monitor: Dell U2211H @ 15600

Total (except MoBo) : 36900

Edit: I will continue with the old 500GB HDD for the time being.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
what about the gigabyte board i mentioned...

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

go with fsp saga to reduce cost..

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
what about the gigabyte board i mentioned...

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

go with fsp saga to reduce cost..

Wherever I asked you about the Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H, they kept telling me prices of Gigabyte GMA880 UD2H. Maybe they would pay more attention when I would actually buy the things.

Thanks, I will go with FSP Saga then.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@banskt: As u will not play any game...so a entry level DX10 or DX11 is enuf for u.....
moreover u will use ur machine for torrents & long hrs of downloading...so i
suggest u go for 1TB of HDD or 2*500 GB of HDD....coz u watch 720p/1080p
videos....:cool:

cooling is very very important here to keep the temp low...install additional fans (120mm) 4 will be enuf....:mrgreen:

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
I am zeroing in on the configuration. Please let me know if the following configuration is a compatible solution.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H
RAM: Kingston 2*2GB DDR3 1333
GPU: Gigabyte GT-220 (to be purchased later)
PSU: FSP Saga II 500W
Case: NZXT Gamma
UPS: APC 550va
Monitor: Dell U2211H

Is the 500 watt suitable for supporting the system (please note that I would buy GT-220 later because CS5 uses CUDA technology in some renderings.)?

Any final changes suggested? Or, anything which you feel to be burning the money?

Last edited:
OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
One more thing, I have wireless modem. To ensure wireless connectivity, I would like to have a wireles PCI-E card.

Please give your suggestions for the card. It must work in Linux and Windows7.

One more thing, I have wireless modem. To ensure wireless connectivity, I would like to have a wireles PCI-E card.

Please give your suggestions for the card. It must work in Linux and

Windows7.

pci-E cards would be very costly, and change ups to 650va minimum.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
oh yes, i overlooked the ups, change it to 650va, thanks for pointing it out buddy

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

dude but pci-e slot would be taken up by your gfx card
are you talking about pci or pci-e

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
oh yes, i overlooked the ups, change it to 650va, thanks for pointing it out buddy

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

dude but pci-e slot would be taken up by your gfx card
are you talking about pci or pci-e

Thanks for pointing that out.

I overlooked the pci-e slot. I have to take pci card then. How about a D-Link with ath9k driver. Repeating here, I would be using Linux.

---------- Post added 04-07-2010 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-07-2010 at 11:09 PM ----------

Just saw somewhere that Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H doesn't support DDR3 RAM. Is that so?

Top Bottom