Building a professional PC

vyamoham

Broken In
Hi All,

I had already posted a question in the forum. But was unable to get the system till now. I have revised the purpose of the system and budget.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...ant-build-desktop-has-upgrade-path-ahead.html

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Right now I will be using it for web browsing, Should be able to run applications related to my work. (Java, Tomcat, JBoss/Glassfish app servers, Eclipse, Dreamweaver etc..). I dont have any games in my mind right now. But would like to play some games(not sure which, I don't have any idea.). I also want to setup an environment for big data testing (hadoop, zookeeper, hbase etc..). Also will be used for mobile app dev for Android and in HTML5

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I need the basic setup done for 70K.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: I am not planning to do any overclocking.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: I need to install 2 OSes. Ubuntu and Windows 7/8.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: As much as the budget permits.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, I need to buy a monitor. If I can use my Samsung 5000 series HDTV as a monitor, I can wait a little more to buy a monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I dont have any components. I want to buy all necessary components.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Immediately.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
Since this a desktop we are talking about, and I plan to upgrade it as and when I can, I want to assemble the machine myself. I dont want to carry my CPU to get the upgrade done.

To be honest, I haven't even seen a desktop being assembled. But if it is not a very difficult task, I would like to assemble it myself and learn something new along the way.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Bangalore. Since I am planning to do the assembling, I am open to buying stuff online also.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have an idea of the components to buy. Please check and let me know if any more changes needs to be done.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor : Rs 16500
Asus H87I-Plus Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard : Rs 9000
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory : Rs 5600
Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB 3.5" Internal HD : Rs 5400
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk : Rs 11500
Video cards : ? (I don't have any idea, which graphics card to purchase. But would like a budget card 10K - 12k)
Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular ATX PSU : Rs 3100
Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case : Rs 3500

Plus 5.5% tax.

Do I need to make any changes? Are these prices ok?

In snapdeal.com, I see there are offers for computer components. Any intersting offers are there, which I can use?

Thanks

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Rig chosen by is good,except few changes needed :

Gpu > Gtx 650ti boost / Hd 7850

Psu > Seasonic s12ii 520w / Antec vp550p

there is no Wd blue 2tb, for 2TB you have to go with Seagate barracuda 2tb @ 6k

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V3 - 19k
asus h87 pro - 10k
kingston hyperx blu 2x4gb - 5.2k / corsair vengeance 2X 4gb - 5.6k / gskill ripjawsX 2X 4gb - 5.5k
WD black 1tb - 5.8k
samsung 840 pro 256gb -14.5k
asus odd -1k
seasonic s12ii 520 4.3k
antec gx700 - 4k
dell s2240l - 8.6k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k

mention the name of the games you wish to play. if they are demanding, then get 128gb ssd,xeon e3 1230 v3, skip monitor which will settle you to get gtx 760.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Rig chosen by is good,except few changes needed :

Gpu > Gtx 650ti boost / Hd 7850

Could you tell me the exact card that you are suggesting? I can see that there are a lot of variants for these cards. Which one you are suggesting? And could you provide a approximate price for the suggested cards?

Psu > Seasonic s12ii 520w / Antec vp550p

Processor 10W - 80W
Motherboard 7W - 30W
RAM 18W - 18W
Hard Drive 4W - 20W
SSD 1W - 5W
HD 7850 2GB GFX 32W - 130W

Totla Estimated wattage is 72W - 283W. I might add a Optical drive later, if required. I will not be going for any high end GFX.

So wouldn't be a 430W PSU sufficient for this build?

I chose Corsair CX 430W since it is a semi modular PSU. Since I am building the system in a Mini ITX Cabinet, Semi/Full modular PSU might be a better choice. If 430W is not enough, can I go with SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze PSU. Is that a good PSU?

Intel Xeon E3-1245 V3 - 19k
asus h87 pro - 10k
kingston hyperx blu 2x4gb - 5.2k / corsair vengeance 2X 4gb - 5.6k / gskill ripjawsX 2X 4gb - 5.5k
WD black 1tb - 5.8k
samsung 840 pro 256gb -14.5k
asus odd -1k
seasonic s12ii 520 4.3k
antec gx700 - 4k
dell s2240l - 8.6k
logitech mk200 - 0.7k

mention the name of the games you wish to play. if they are demanding, then get 128gb ssd,xeon e3 1230 v3, skip monitor which will settle you to get gtx 760.

I am trying to build the rig in CM Elite 130 Mini ITX cabinet. Asus H87 Pro is an ATX mobo. If there is a better H87 mini ITX mobo than Asus H87I-Plus Mini ITX, please suggest it. Getting samsung 840 pro 256gb over the evo. Is it really worth?

I am looking for a semi/full modular PSU, since I am working on a mini ITX cabinet.

I have not played any games in the last 6-7 years. So I don't about today's games. I used to play Half life, Fifa 2005, NFS, Prince of persia etc.. and enjoyed them. So probably some new games like that.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Could you tell me the exact card that you are suggesting? I can see that there are a lot of variants for these cards. Which one you are suggesting? And could you provide a approximate price for the suggested cards?

Processor 10W - 80W
Motherboard 7W - 30W
RAM 18W - 18W
Hard Drive 4W - 20W
SSD 1W - 5W
HD 7850 2GB GFX 32W - 130W

Totla Estimated wattage is 72W - 283W. I might add a Optical drive later, if required. I will not be going for any high end GFX.

So wouldn't be a 430W PSU sufficient for this build?

I chose Corsair CX 430W since it is a semi modular PSU. Since I am building the system in a Mini ITX Cabinet, Semi/Full modular PSU might be a better choice. If 430W is not enough, can I go with SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze PSU. Is that a good PSU?
those are theoritical values. actual power consumption depends on the exact load on components.
cx430v2 is not semi modular. it is cx430m which is semi-modular but i think is of inferior quality.
I am trying to build the rig in CM Elite 130 Mini ITX cabinet. Asus H87 Pro is an ATX mobo. If there is a better H87 mini ITX mobo than Asus H87I-Plus Mini ITX, please suggest it. Getting samsung 840 pro 256gb over the evo. Is it really worth?

I am looking for a semi/full modular PSU, since I am working on a mini ITX cabinet.

I have not played any games in the last 6-7 years. So I don't about today's games. I used to play Half life, Fifa 2005, NFS, Prince of persia etc.. and enjoyed them. So probably some new games like that.
smasung 840 pro is very much worth for the price, i think.

get the seasonic s12ii. only 650 is available from m12 and you may not need that. dont compromise on quality on psu, the heart of your system.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Building a professional PC
Since I am building the system in a Mini ITX Cabinet
above statements are contradictory.mini-ITX systems are designed for sole purpose of HTPC with some exceptions(there was one user here who wanted to build a gaming mini-ITX system to carry along in an airplane).if you are indeed building a professional system micro-ATX mobo & mid tower cabinet is minimum.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
those are theoritical values. actual power consumption depends on the exact load on components.
cx430v2 is not semi modular. it is cx430m which is semi-modular but i think is of inferior quality.

smasung 840 pro is very much worth for the price, i think.

get the seasonic s12ii. only 650 is available from m12 and you may not need that. dont compromise on quality on psu, the heart of your system.
What about Antec HCG HCG-520 PSU or Antec BP550 Plus? These are semi modular I suppose. Are these PSUs of good quality? If not, I suppose there is no other choice than seasonic s12ii 520W.

What about Antec HCG HCG-520 PSU or Antec BP550 Plus? These are semi modular I suppose. Are these PSUs of good quality? If not, I suppose there is no other choice than seasonic s12ii 520W.

Seasonic S12II series PSUs are very good. Antec BP, Corsair VS and CX should be avoided in powerful rigs consuming >500 W.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Seasonic S12II series PSUs are very good. Antec BP, Corsair VS and CX should be avoided in powerful rigs consuming >500 W.

What about SeaSonic M12II 520W PSU? There is 520W variant as well.

Welcome to Seasonic USA

Is that a good PSU?

Or which would be good semi/full modular PSU which has a wattage of 500?

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Hello Everyone,

Atlast, I bought my computer. But it is a little different from the build I thought. The main reason was the H87 mini ITX was not available in a any shops in SP Road. So I can't go for a SFF build.

I chose Xeon 1230v3 because it is an SFF build. In SFF, it is not advisable to overclock. Anyway, since I can't go for SFF, I took i7 4770k and a z87 mobo. And a full ATX case. It was an impulse decision. So I could not check with you guys before pulling the trigger. I hope, the parts and prices are reasonable.

My final build is:

i7 4770k - 21.5k
GB UD3H - 12k
MSI Twin Frozer 2G Gaming OC - 17k
Samsung Evo 256 GB - 11.5k
Seagate 2TB - 5.4k
Corsair Vengeance 8GB * 1 - 5.5k
Seasonic 620W - 5.2k
APC UPS 1.1kv - 5.5k
CM 690 III - 7k
CM 212 Evo - 3.2k

I was not exactly sure about the cooler. But the shopkeeper told, if I want air cooler, it is the most VFM cooler. So anyway went with it.

And need to add 5.5% tax on of it. Everything was bought locally. The budget was stretched a lot. But yeah, I bought them.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions.

Now I need to buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I am thinking of buying Dell S2440L. Locally, it is available for 13.5k + tax. Is there a better monitor at this price range?
In snapdeal and Infibeam, I can see that this monitor is priced lesser. Is it safe to buy the monitor from these sites? Anyone have experience with any of these sites?

What would you suggest for the keyboard and mouse. Currently, I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse from logitech. Dont remember the model (It was costing less than 1k for both when I bought it. Around 850/- I guess).

P.S. The keyboard mouse combo I currently own is Logitech MK220.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
congrats :) post pics ;)
is it 270x gpu??? why did you go for MSI?
for monitor i would suggest AOC i2369vm. snapdeal/infibeam are reliable. better you choose COD.
for the k/b , get logitech g105. for mouse logitech g400s.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Thanks Mate.

It is a 270x GPU. MSI USA R9 270X GAMING 2G

I went with MSI because, the shop owner told me it was better than Asus in terms of cooling. And it is factory OCed. When I checked in pcpartpicker, I saw this is the most rated 270x GPU.
Choose A Video Card - PCPartPicker

I don't know much details about it. Is that a wrong decision?

Now I am in a fix anyway. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/181538-urgent-ga-z87mx-d3h-vs-ga-z87m-d3h.html

I see two motherboards. GA-Z87MX-D3H and GA-Z87M-D3H. There is a difference of 2500 in their cost. I don't see any comparison between them in any forums. From the Gigabyte website, the differences that I can see are.

1. GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ 5 Plus Technology instead of GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ 4 Plus Technology
  2. IR® Digital CPU Power Design
  3. Supports CFOS Speed Internet Accelerator Software
  4. Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) instead of Realtek LAN
  5. Some difference in expansion slot (did not understand much)
  6. Internal IO connectors[additional 1 x water cooling fan header (CPU_OPT), 1 x S/PDIF In header, 3 x system fan headers instead of 1]
  7. Additional Backpanel connector 1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector and Displayport

Both are micro ATX boards. Are these differences huge? I paid 12,000 rs for the motherboard. But by mistake, they gave me GA-Z87M-D3H.

I informed them about the mistake. They told I can come and collect the difference amount. Should I take the difference amount or should I ask for the GA-Z87MX-D3H model? Or should I ask for a totally different motherboard?

It is a little urgent. Please suggest.

P.S. He suggested to go with MSI Z87 GD65, if I am overclocking. Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
MX-D3H is better but the things which matters for this in my opinion are:
1.optical S/PDIF Out connector(rest assured there is a big difference between having a S/PDIF header & having an actual S/PDIF connector).
2.display port(sometimes having this port is quite beneficial because unlike HDMI this port is recognized only as PC display output & when connected to a monitor with display port there will be no driver setting/color issues which sometimes are there in connecting using hdmi port).
3.though not noticeable to a typical user but intel gigabit lan is better than realtek gigabit lan.
only thing MX-D3H is missing is old pci slot but i doubt if anybody still need those unless they want to keep using their old pci cards.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i would suggest to get asus z87A or gryphon for good overclocking. dont go for msi. you are likely to face issues with their rma since they have closed their shops in india.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Go with the MX MB as it use Japanese capacitors rather than M which uses Taiwanese capacitors.Normally Japanese capacitors last long and are of high quality.
The northbridge and the southbridge heatsinks also are different from normal Z87M and Z87MX motherboards.This shows the quality of components used in Z87MX series motherboards.
I read about the capacitors in tomshardware forum.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I informed them about the mistake. They told I can come and collect the difference amount. Should I take the difference amount or should I ask for the GA-Z87MX-D3H model? Or should I ask for a totally different motherboard?

It is a little urgent. Please suggest.

P.S. He suggested to go with MSI Z87 GD65, if I am overclocking. Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks.
Nothing much to worry. Whitestar has highlighted the difference. If you feel, then collect the difference in amount.

OP
V

vyamoham

Broken In
Hi all,

I asked for Asus z87 boards. Only maxiumus Gene V and Asus Z87 pro was available then.

maximus Gene was a micro ATX board and Asus Z87 pro was 17,500.

So I went with MSI itself. I got it for 16,000/-. I really liked the look of the MSI motherboard. I now really wish I had gone for a cabinet with transparent side panel. May be I will buy a Corsair Carbide 540(later).

It won some gold award from computex.

MSI Unveils Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard | techPowerUp

And he said, it is a better motherboard than Asus and is really good for overclocking. Asus standards are getting low now a days. He gets many issues with Asus motherboards.

It even have switch called OC Genie, which I can use to oc. I have not tried it yet. And he told there won't be any issues with warranty. It has 3 years warranty, and I should be fine with it.

Top Bottom