Building a Non Gaming PC

Karan85

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Office, Watching/streaming a lot of HD videos.. And most importantly, running hundreds of chrome tabs.. I am a tab-hoarder. I often end up with 4-5 windows, each with ~30 tabs with various youtube links/pics/articles open. Something that can handle all this, often at the same time.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: No real budget. Don't want something that is overkill. Don't want something underpowered.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Have plenty of external storage. Should I get a SSD boot drive? Have a 500gb seagate internal drive and a lot of External HDDs.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. Might push that back a few months if needed. Have a 20" Dell (IN2020M/1600x900). Would want something 1080p and around 24"

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: My current pc
AMD x4 635 + Biostar TA880 G3-HD
4gb ram (2x2gb 1333MHz ddr3)
Gigabyte 460W PSU
500 GB Seagate hdd
Dell IN2020
CM Elite 310
Have keyboard/mouse. Have speakers. Don't think I need a graphics card.
Will the PSU be fine, or should I get a new one? Should be able to use the HDD if I get a SSD boot drive, or might get a new HDD if an SSD isnt recommended.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: My current PC is working. But it is over 5 years old. If I can decide now, I'll buy it pretty soon. If there is some thing worth waiting for, I can wait a little bit.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. Lamington should be fine. Open to buying online too.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
My current pc
AMD x4 635 + Biostar TA880 G3-HD
4gb ram (2x2gb 1333MHz ddr3)
Gigabyte 460W PSU
500 GB Seagate hdd
Dell IN2020
CM Elite 310
It does most of what I need. So I really don't need something extremely powerful. A nice performance bump on my current PC and something that can last me a good few years would be great.

I started this thread *www.digit.in/forum/cpu-motherboards/195600-i3-i5-non-gaming-pc.html
in the CPU section but was asked to post here.
Can't decide if I need an i5 or an i3.

Thanks a lot :)

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
Anyone?
The big questions I have are
1) Should I get the i5 4440 or will the i3- 4150 be enough for my use.
2) Don't game. Is it worth getting an SSD as a boot drive? If so, is 120gb enough for that?
3) My room gets pretty dusty. Which would be the best budget cabinet that will keep things clean and cool. Looks dont matter. It will be hidden away.

Also, how much better is 2x4gb over a 8gb ram stick?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Anyone?
The big questions I have are
1) Should I get the i5 4440 or will the i3- 4150 be enough for my use.
2) Don't game. Is it worth getting an SSD as a boot drive? If so, is 120gb enough for that?
3) My room gets pretty dusty. Which would be the best budget cabinet that will keep things clean and cool. Looks dont matter. It will be hidden away.

Also, how much better is 2x4gb over a 8gb ram stick?

1st of all What is your Budget bro?

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
There is no fixed budget. Not building anything too fancy.. so dont expect it to go above 50k.
If I can get it done for 30k(without monitor), great. I'll get a nice 24-27" monitor and maybe a 2tb internal drive. If it goes over 40k, I might hold back on some of the extras. I have a functioning 20" monitor and plenty of external storage.

Like I said in the first post, my usage
Ans: Office, Watching/streaming a lot of HD videos.. And most importantly, running hundreds of chrome tabs.. I am a tab-hoarder. I often end up with 4-5 windows, each with ~30 tabs with various youtube links/pics/articles open. Something that can handle all this, often at the same time.

It comes down to me not understanding how processor intensive my usage is.
Will a dual core (i3-4150 @3.5 GHz) + 8gb Ram be enough, or will the dual core be a bottleneck for that kind of usage.
If it might slow things down, I can shell out for a i5.

My current setup works.. Works fine most of the time too, but it can slow down when I have multiple things open. Its just time for a change and I would like to get a nice performance bump so I can justify getting a new PC.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 50k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i5 444012,500
MotherboardGigabyte B85M-D3H5,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz3,300
Power SupplyAntec VP500PC3,300
CabinetCooler Master Elite 3112,600
Internal StorageWD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD3,500
SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 120GB
MonitorLG 24MP77HM 24" LED IPS14,500
KeyboardLogitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo800
MouseIncluded in combo0
Total

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
Thanks...
So you suggest I should get an i5.

Any suggestions where I should buy it from? In Mumbai..
Any stores in Lamington that are recommended ? Any that I should avoid?

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
Had a look at their website. Couldnt find CM Elite and couldnt find the Kingston Ram

They have the cheap Antec cabinet and a Corsair Vengeance

*i.imgur.com/igeknfI.png

igeknfI.png
Not included the internal storage other than the SSD and not included the monitor (yet)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Had a look at their website. Couldnt find CM Elite and couldnt find the Kingston Ram

They have the cheap Antec cabinet and a Corsair Vengeance

*i.imgur.com/igeknfI.png

View attachment 15917
Not included the internal storage other than the SSD and not included the monitor (yet)

Visit their Store in Lamington Road and also try to visit some other shops to get Quotation and you will get some idea about the prices there...

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
Does anyone have any idea about the following shops from Lamington.

Premdeep Computers
My IT World
Micron Computer
Neo Dynamic

All 4 quoted me a price lower than Prime Abgb for the same specs.

By up to 3000 for a ~ 30k pc..
They all offered free assembly and Micron even said they'd deliver to my place for that amount.

Suggestions?

Top Bottom