Budget Laserjet Printer Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
I am on a tight budget and on the lookout for a good laserjet printer.
My requirements are:
  1. First and foremost and of the greatest weightage is for a printer whose ink can be easily refilled by me alone. A friend suggested that conventional laserjet printers run very nicely on some locally available black printing ink powder which is very cheap for heavy use.
  2. Cheap
  3. Good print quality (which i think is a given for text printing using a laser jet)
  4. Some reliable company so that it can be easily serviced.
Please note, that the printer would be used heavily for printing text albeit for home use.
  • I am not looking for an inkjet as I already have one.
  • I don't require a color printer, I want the cheapest and best bet.
  • I don't require some all in one printer. I want it do one job, and do the job damn well and efficiently.
  • High resolution and printing speed are desirable but not at a premium.
Thank you all for your help.
I have to get this in the next week for some work, so its kinda urgent and any I wud appreciate any help in this regard.

I may even buy a second hand one if its in perfect working condition and meets the above criteria.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I can recommend three different printers from HP stable here. Those are Laserjet 1018, LaserJet 1020 and 1020 plus.

I am giving some reasons behind my choice here with reference to your requirements,

1. I think refilling a proprietary cartridge is illegal. I am not sure about this. But in case of HP cartridges, you can easily fill them I think as they are widely available throughout India.
  2. LaserJet 1018 is really cheap for a laser printer with a price tag of only 5k and something I presume. Also 1020 is better with speed, so the 1020 plus is better in speed and more RAM.
  3. These printers can print in 600 dpi (600*600) and also with FastRes 1200 (1200*600). I think that is enough for some text printing.
  4. HP's (Hewlett Packard) reliability is good enough in India as a largest selling printer company here.
I think that if your maximum expenditure is upto 7k then you can afford the 1020 Plus. It is the fastest and most advanced of them all. I have a 1020 and it is a bit older model slowly replace by 1018 for the budget section and 1020 plus in the performance section. :p

navino87

In the zone
Hi man, i just bought hp 1020 plus. I am much satisfied with the print quality n performance. I suggest u 2 go 4 this if ur budget permits.

Also i have the same question... can v refill the cartridge by ourself? as it may costs 600+ for refilling...

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Also i have the same question... can v refill the cartridge by ourself? as it may costs 600+ for refilling...

I know that personally refilling a cartridge is cheap and quicker but I think it is unreliable as HP can recognize the refilled cartridges and will not provide any support even you are within a warranty period. :D

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I can recommend three different printers from HP stable here. Those are Laserjet 1018, LaserJet 1020 and 1020 plus.

I am giving some reasons behind my choice here with reference to your requirements,

1. I think refilling a proprietary cartridge is illegal.

1. I don't think that refilling is illegal, but it does void the warranty of the printer.

OP
F

The Transcendental
Unlike refilling inkjet cartridges which has its share of problems, refilled toner cartridges print relably and can be refilled with ease (or so I have heard).
btw, companies like Amkette are making a living out of refillind cartridges. So it is sure as hell not illegal. Though its a no brainer that any printer damage coming out of refilled cartridges makes your warranty void. You can get your toner refilled for as little as Rs. 50 from NP, and you get superb prints using a laserjet.

Inputs invited from someone with experience refilling toner cartridges.
I may be bragging as i have only repeated what i have heard

Last edited:
OP
F

The Transcendental
Whenever i plan to go to NP, I wud first of all ask one of the many hawkers who refill cartridges about the toner which can be most effectively and economically refilled. That wud dictate the purchase.
The purpose of this thread was to learn from the experience of the members.
I have shortlisted SAMSUNG ML 1610, Xerox Phaser 3117 and HP 1018. These are sub Rs.5k

navino87

In the zone
I understand the risk in refilling the cartridge... But i wanna refill by myself... Can some 1 give a good tutorial in tis?

nice thread here... I too have the same needs. The printer must print well, be suitable for high load, needn't compulsarily have colour, must be good at black and white, must have low cost per page, must be lazer and must be sub 5k.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
nice thread here... I too have the same needs. The printer must print well, be suitable for high load, needn't compulsarily have colour, must be good at black and white, must have low cost per page, must be lazer and must be sub 5k.

For sub 5K your choice will be limited to Xerox only, AFAIK. And for colour, your budget need be at least thrice that much.

satyamy

Alive Again...
visited my dealer in Lamington Road today
dont remember its model but he has Some Samsung Printer for Rs. 4000/-

and also its toner can be refilled for Rs. 200/-

For sub 5K your choice will be limited to Xerox only, AFAIK. And for colour, your budget need be at least thrice that much.
I said colour is not compulsary.

All I need is as follows:

1. Linux Driver Support
2. Refillable Cartridges, or ability to use photocopying ink
3. Decent printing speed
4. Ability to handle HUGE loads. And I MEAN HUGE. For project reports, etc.
5. Good resolutions and print quality(clarity).
6. Appritiate good printing software, or atleast a link to one(linux).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom