BSOD Help!!!

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Do you remember something installed newly and before that the system was running fine? Maybe a new ram or hdd.
BSOD generally happens due to incompatible hardware(I think your case) or software which doesn’t seem to be in this case.
Worst case scenario your hdd has bad sectors as far as I can guess.
I have been using this exact setup for about a year now. No changes.
I can claim warranty if any drive tools says it's faulty. But everything says, no bad sectors, healthy, good etc...
This 100% disk usage hits only when it's about to crash. Otherwise it almost always stay under 1%.
100% high disk usage can be caused by Telemetry (Should You Disable Windows 10 Telemetry? - Smart Buyer) try disabling this. A lot of users reported this being main issue for high disk usage and 100% CPU usage.

But, what worries me is that you refreshed OS recently, did you install all softwares again (that you had before OS refresh)?
also, how many peripherals are connected to your system at a time. Try to remove those that you don't absolutely need.
Try to live one day without those and check.

You must have written already but still let me ask, bad sectors in HDD? Did you check? If not, check once.
I'll try that.
No, I haven't installed all the software. I'll slowly install them in the coming weeks.
Not many peripherals are connected. It's very minimal. If I have to remove something and still work, then I can remove headphone and DVD drive.
I connect pen drive only when I need it. No webcam, PCIe card, sound card etc.
The only clue I have is, system freezes - then disk usage climbs to 100% - then BSOD. It won't restart on it's own, I have to hard shutdown and boot again. And nothing in minidumps.
Yes, I have checked with about 6-8 HDD/SSD checking tools. No bad sectors. It's good and healthy.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
one last thing, CPU temperature.

Try monitoring CPU temperature throughout one use that leads to BSOD.
Notice if any jump.

Another could be causing is FAN issue if CPU fan is not running or not running properly.

Somehow I feel issue could be causing by ur PSU. How old is it?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
one last thing, CPU temperature.
Another could be causing is FAN issue if CPU fan is not running or not running properly.

Somehow I feel issue could be causing by ur PSU. How old is it?
CPU temps are good. Using HWinfo to check for any crazy numbers. Goes as high as low 70s and sustain around mid 60's when playing games.
During normal usage temps are around mid 40s
One of first things I checked are fans. Both PSU's and CPU's are running fine.
PSU is pretty old. It was already two years old when I retired this one for Antec PSU 4yrs back. But when Antec gone kaput last year and I put this one back. I have been meaning to get a new one. Hopefully I will get one soon.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
hmmm, so far you've almost analyzed all parts of your system part by part. I believe there are some logical explanation which I'm not knowledgeable enough to point out.

However one final qn, beep sound from MOBO. Do you get any when BSOD hits?

And, your MOBO may be having a CMOS display code either visible from outside or from insde. Keep an eye what code is displayed the moment it hits BSOD.

Can explore this area, else, I've nothing much for you (for the time being remove DVD drive and use couple of days)

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
However one final qn, beep sound from MOBO. Do you get any when BSOD hits?

And, your MOBO may be having a CMOS display code either visible from outside or from insde. Keep an eye what code is displayed the moment it hits BSOD.

Can explore this area, else, I've nothing much for you (for the time being remove DVD drive and use couple of days)
I have installed speaker in the board, usually when I power ON I hear the beep. But when BSOD, system stays ON and no beep at all.
Yes, my board has this EZ Debug LED. But I don't think it's reliable. Thank you. This didn't strike my mind till now. I will check when it happens next time.

When system BSOD, it restarts the system. But I see just a blank screen (not sure if I see blank screen or monitor displays "no signal" message. I should've remember after so many BSODs :( ). So there should be some clue in EZ Debug. Thanks again.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Lets note down all the components that you've analyzed and concluded 'not' causing this BSOD.

Whatever left, are causing it.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Lets note down all the components that you've analyzed and concluded 'not' causing this BSOD.

Whatever left, are causing it.
Based on the tests I have done so far, I am ruling out OS, SSD and RAM.
There is no tool to check CPU/iGPU. Same goes for Motherboard and PSU.
Most of the BSOD happened when I played. So keeping the task manager and HWinfo opened when I play. I may likely to notice the app/process which makes the disk usage hit the roof.
Yet to understand how to disable telemetry. There were some suggestions online that to turn off windows search, superfetch etc. I guess those suggestions are for those who have disk usage 100% all the time or most of the time.
I will keep updating here when the next BSOD happens and the troubleshoot I tried.
BTW, no crashes for the last two days.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. That generic PSU can't cope up with the components so first get a better PSU than the generic one.
2. Try with a different HDD or SSD .. I've one WD black which showed SMART error of uncorrectable sector count and when I zero formatted it and installed win10 afresh the Smart values were back to normal but the HDD performance was pathetic to say the least. So don't rule out the storage device.
3. Try with a dedicated GPU .. get one from some friend.

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
1. That generic PSU can't cope up with the components so first get a better PSU than the generic one.
2. Try with a different HDD or SSD .. I've one WD black which showed SMART error of uncorrectable sector count and when I zero formatted it and installed win10 afresh the Smart values were back to normal but the HDD performance were pathetic to say the least. So don';t rule out the storage device.
3. Try with a dedicated GPU .. get one from some friend.
1. Yeah, gotta get one soon.
2. Kinda tough to get a new one or borrow from someone. Based on the drive checking tools, it's fine and good.
3. I have GT710, I can use that.
x----------------x--------------------x
No more BSOD after the last one about a week ago, longest without a BSOD since it started.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Seems the BSOD god was pleased with the effort you put there!

You've time now (and online sales going on), get a good PSU.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
After 3 weeks, there was BSOD yesterday. Twice back to back while playing. So stopped playing after the second one.

Things observed.
After the BSOD, EZ Debug LED shows it's VGA (though I highly doubt it's reliability).
Task manager shows no clue of which process makes the disk usage to 100%.

Other than a very few BSODs, all were when I played games. So if I use GT710, I don't think I can play. If I don't play there won't be any BSOD whether I use GT710 or iGPU. Anyway, I am gonna try it with GT710 for sometime and let you guys know. Before that I am gonna uninstall the latest graphics driver, the one I have. It's an optional one and install the recommended one.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
After 3 weeks, there was BSOD yesterday. Twice back to back while playing. So stopped playing after the second one.

Things observed.
After the BSOD, EZ Debug LED shows it's VGA (though I highly doubt it's reliability).
Task manager shows no clue of which process makes the disk usage to 100%.

Other than a very few BSODs, all were when I played games. So if I use GT710, I don't think I can play. If I don't play there won't be any BSOD whether I use GT710 or iGPU. Anyway, I am gonna try it with GT710 for sometime and let you guys know. Before that I am gonna uninstall the latest graphics driver, the one I have. It's an optional one and install the recommended one.

Try running Crysis ( the old one ) and it's enough to bring GT 710 to the limits. BTW, if you are using the onboard ( igpu ) then the ram or the PSU - I suspect the PSU here. Bad PSU can be the root of many problems. Do change it.

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, should get a new PSU ASAP.
MWE 450 Bronze v2 costs about 3k
P450B Bronze costs about 2.6k
Will get one of the above.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Several BSOD in the last week, all while playing.

Placed order for MWE 450 Bronze V2. Will receive it in few days. Will see if the new one fixes the issue.

Top Bottom