BSOD Help!!!

nac

Aspiring Novelist
System info:
Ryzen 3 2200G
MSI B450M Pro VDH
Corsair Vengeance and Hyper X (4GB * 2 @ 2400mhz)
Samsung 850EVO 120GB
Generic PSU 450w (I know I should get a better one, some months back my Antec went kaput and out of warranty. Hopefully I will get one soon).

BSOD stop code:
UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION
KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR

And there may be one more stop code I might have seen, but don't remember. It's just a "may be", I am not sure if I have noticed another stop code in the last one month or so. Mostly UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION.

It started about a month ago. At first I thought it's something to do with Gameloop/PUBGM update. Usually there is some hiccup during every update. And it happened only when I am in Gameloop/PUBGM. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Gameloop/PUBGM. But still I experienced BSOD, but with less number of times. Probably I didn't use Gameloop much since then, don't know.

About 10-15 days back, it happened while I was using Bluestacks which I use for Whatsapp. And last week, I was not using any emulator Gameloop or Bluestacks, just couple of Excel workbooks and few Chrome browser tabs. And there goes another BSOD. It was the only time it happened while no emulator was running. Now I started doubting on other things like hardware, drivers/software. I tried few software to check my RAM (Memtest86 by Passmark, Windows built-in memory diagnostics tool, memtest), about 4-5 apps to check SSD (Samsung magician, HDD, Seatools, HDD Scan, HD Sentinel and also Windows chkdsk feature). Everything came clean. I tried with just one stick, both the sticks together and every time RAM test results were good. I checked the wires, changed SATA cable, unplugged and re-plugged all the cables. Reset the BIOS to default settings. Updated all drivers - GPU, LAN, Chipset etc. I tried all these about 10-15 days before and again couple of days ago. Still it happens.

It doesn't BSOD more frequently. Initially it happened more I think, and someday there won't be any BSOD.

Just before BSOD app freezes (many a times I don't realize that), I can move mouse. If I click something again using mouse then everything freezes including mouse movement. After a good 45-90 seconds, I will see BSOD with stop code and it will take sometime and restarts. The restart stops at BIOS loading screen and restart again to BIOS and restart. The cycle will go on and on, I assume. I have to force shutdown by pressing power button for long and then power ON, it will start normally. If and when I realize that the app is gonna hang (you know when it's kinda freezing/stop responding to mouse click), I take my hands from the mouse and few seconds later it will respond then I can continue working. If I don't realize and click again, it goes to BSOD.

Tried Bluescreen viewer, but it shows nothing. Don't know if this would give you guys any clue, there are these two entries close to those shutdowns,
Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.
Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
And one find in Eventlog, I guess this is the day the issue started. 5sec before this not clean shutdown error logged.
{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.
Less than 24hrs before this I updated Gameloop/PUBGM.

Stat:
19 days out of 26 days, not clean shutdown logged
At least 1 not clean shutdown a day and max of 3 not clean shutdowns a day
Total of 35 counts, but I don't think there were this many due to BSOD.
Out of that 13 were of Windows failed fast startup close to the time of not clean shutdown,
13 were of Dump file creation fail, and
9 don't have any other entries like dump file creation fail or fast startup fail close to not clean shutdowns.
And Max gap of over 3 days between not clean shutdowns.

Two more anomalies,
- Last week when I tried an Window update, it downloaded but failed to install and showed some error. I tried few times, but the results are same. It was Windows feature update.
- Then I didn't use the PC for few days. After a few days when I turned on, the time was showing wrong and I couldn't sync with windows server. So checked network traffic to see if anything using all the bandwidth, Windows was again downloading that failed update/install.

I can think of two more things,
One, I can stress test CPU and iGPU to see if I am getting BSOD there.
Two, fresh installation of Windows OS and see if it still happens after fresh installation.

Fresh installation of OS is a time consuming thing, so I can't do it right away. So the reason I haven't done it till now. Until now, I didn't think of stress testing CPU/GPU. Next in order is stress test.

What I should do now? Been googling for weeks now, but with no fix.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
System info:
Ryzen 3 2200G
MSI B450M Pro VDH
Corsair Vengeance and Hyper X (4GB * 2 @ 2400mhz)
Samsung 850EVO 120GB
Generic PSU 450w (I know I should get a better one, some months back my Antec went kaput and out of warranty. Hopefully I will get one soon).

BSOD stop code:
UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION
KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR

And there may be one more stop code I might have seen, but don't remember. It's just a "may be", I am not sure if I have noticed another stop code in the last one month or so. Mostly UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION.

It started about a month ago. At first I thought it's something to do with Gameloop/PUBGM update. Usually there is some hiccup during every update. And it happened only when I am in Gameloop/PUBGM. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Gameloop/PUBGM. But still I experienced BSOD, but with less number of times. Probably I didn't use Gameloop much since then, don't know.

About 10-15 days back, it happened while I was using Bluestacks which I use for Whatsapp. And last week, I was not using any emulator Gameloop or Bluestacks, just couple of Excel workbooks and few Chrome browser tabs. And there goes another BSOD. It was the only time it happened while no emulator was running. Now I started doubting on other things like hardware, drivers/software. I tried few software to check my RAM (Memtest86 by Passmark, Windows built-in memory diagnostics tool, memtest), about 4-5 apps to check SSD (Samsung magician, HDD, Seatools, HDD Scan, HD Sentinel and also Windows chkdsk feature). Everything came clean. I tried with just one stick, both the sticks together and every time RAM test results were good. I checked the wires, changed SATA cable, unplugged and re-plugged all the cables. Reset the BIOS to default settings. Updated all drivers - GPU, LAN, Chipset etc. I tried all these about 10-15 days before and again couple of days ago. Still it happens.

It doesn't BSOD more frequently. Initially it happened more I think, and someday there won't be any BSOD.

Just before BSOD app freezes (many a times I don't realize that), I can move mouse. If I click something again using mouse then everything freezes including mouse movement. After a good 45-90 seconds, I will see BSOD with stop code and it will take sometime and restarts. The restart stops at BIOS loading screen and restart again to BIOS and restart. The cycle will go on and on, I assume. I have to force shutdown by pressing power button for long and then power ON, it will start normally. If and when I realize that the app is gonna hang (you know when it's kinda freezing/stop responding to mouse click), I take my hands from the mouse and few seconds later it will respond then I can continue working. If I don't realize and click again, it goes to BSOD.

Tried Bluescreen viewer, but it shows nothing. Don't know if this would give you guys any clue, there are these two entries close to those shutdowns,

And one find in Eventlog, I guess this is the day the issue started. 5sec before this not clean shutdown error logged.

Less than 24hrs before this I updated Gameloop/PUBGM.

Stat:
19 days out of 26 days, not clean shutdown logged
At least 1 not clean shutdown a day and max of 3 not clean shutdowns a day
Total of 35 counts, but I don't think there were this many due to BSOD.
Out of that 13 were of Windows failed fast startup close to the time of not clean shutdown,
13 were of Dump file creation fail, and
9 don't have any other entries like dump file creation fail or fast startup fail close to not clean shutdowns.
And Max gap of over 3 days between not clean shutdowns.

Two more anomalies,
- Last week when I tried an Window update, it downloaded but failed to install and showed some error. I tried few times, but the results are same. It was Windows feature update.
- Then I didn't use the PC for few days. After a few days when I turned on, the time was showing wrong and I couldn't sync with windows server. So checked network traffic to see if anything using all the bandwidth, Windows was again downloading that failed update/install.

I can think of two more things,
One, I can stress test CPU and iGPU to see if I am getting BSOD there.
Two, fresh installation of Windows OS and see if it still happens after fresh installation.

Fresh installation of OS is a time consuming thing, so I can't do it right away. So the reason I haven't done it till now. Until now, I didn't think of stress testing CPU/GPU. Next in order is stress test.

What I should do now? Been googling for weeks now, but with no fix.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1) try running sfc /scannow as it fix most of the BSOD's. Try running it twice.

2) Try reverting to a backup point if you have made it.

3) Reinstall windows.

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
1) try running sfc /scannow as it fix most of the BSOD's. Try running it twice.

2) Try reverting to a backup point if you have made it.

3) Reinstall windows.
Thank you.
I think I have done this before, but I again did it. No integrity violation.
You mean restore point, right? I have two points, one created when I installed drivers/tried windows update few days ago. And the another is about 2 weeks ago. None of them go back to first week of Sep or before.
Yeah, that's the last resort. If I have to do this, I will try it this weekend.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Thank you.
I think I have done this before, but I again did it. No integrity violation.
You mean restore point, right? I have two points, one created when I installed drivers/tried windows update few days ago. And the another is about 2 weeks ago. None of them go back to first week of Sep or before.
Yeah, that's the last resort. If I have to do this, I will try it this weekend.

Yupp, I think it will be better to reinstall windows, Will save a lot of time too.

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
With generic PSU, running stress test is kinda risky. But I did try last night using Prime95.
First run - checked 'bundle all of the above' option and started the test. Within 40-45 seconds BSOD with stop code UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION.
Second run - checked 'memory controllers and RAM' and let HWinfo write it's readings in CSV file. It ran about 2.5-3 minutes, then HWinfo frooze but task manager was running fine. I waited for about a minute or so (Prime95 was still running, I could see the charts in task manager, then I clicked HWinfo window. No response, so clicked task manager to see if the program shows as 'not responding'. But as soon as I clicked the second time, BSOD.

Dropped the idea of running stress test with this PSU.

Booted to check the CSV file to see if the temps/voltage readings. As soon as I started the stress test, the readings HWinfo wrote in the CSV file got corrupted and there were about 30 seconds worth of rows are corrupted and it was writing fine after that. While I was checking the file, another BSOD with the stop code CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. No other than one Excel file was running at that time.
Booted again, after few minutes next BSOD with the stop code CRITICA PROCESS DIED. It happened about handful of times after that while googling about this stop code and checking CSV file and Event viewer.

Then before going bed, I ran again chkdsk, sfcscan, windows image restore health, windows built in memory diag. Everything is fine.
I see you've two RAM sticks.
Did you try with one stick and changing RAM slots?
Yeah, I have tried one by one in different slots. Checked only the slots I use, not the empty ones. If I use some other slots, something pops up during POST (RAM sticks isn't in the primary slots or something like that). And I have tried both of them as well.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
With generic PSU, running stress test is kinda risky. But I did try last night using Prime95.
First run - checked 'bundle all of the above' option and started the test. Within 40-45 seconds BSOD with stop code UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION.
Second run - checked 'memory controllers and RAM' and let HWinfo write it's readings in CSV file. It ran about 2.5-3 minutes, then HWinfo frooze but task manager was running fine. I waited for about a minute or so (Prime95 was still running, I could see the charts in task manager, then I clicked HWinfo window. No response, so clicked task manager to see if the program shows as 'not responding'. But as soon as I clicked the second time, BSOD.

Dropped the idea of running stress test with this PSU.

Booted to check the CSV file to see if the temps/voltage readings. As soon as I started the stress test, the readings HWinfo wrote in the CSV file got corrupted and there were about 30 seconds worth of rows are corrupted and it was writing fine after that. While I was checking the file, another BSOD with the stop code CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. No other than one Excel file was running at that time.
Booted again, after few minutes next BSOD with the stop code CRITICA PROCESS DIED. It happened about handful of times after that while googling about this stop code and checking CSV file and Event viewer.

Then before going bed, I ran again chkdsk, sfcscan, windows image restore health, windows built in memory diag. Everything is fine.

Yeah, I have tried one by one in different slots. Checked only the slots I use, not the empty ones. If I use some other slots, something pops up during POST (RAM sticks isn't in the primary slots or something like that). And I have tried both of them as well.

Most probably u would have, but have u checked this?error code

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Most probably u would have, but have u checked this?error code
Yeah, I have done pretty much every thing in there. The only thing I am yet to do is reset/refresh/fresh installation of Windows. I can't do it during weekdays. May be this weekend.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Yeah, I have done pretty much every thing in there. The only thing I am yet to do is reset/refresh/fresh installation of Windows. I can't do it during weekdays. May be this weekend.
Windows provides an option to kind of factory reset your settings.

Most of the installed apps would be uninstalled, old windows folder would be backed up in a folder and MyDocuments fodler is also backed up.

That is the lowest impact way out of this.

I had done this 3-4 months back due to slow down of system and at times 100% usage of CPU and RAM even when only Excel and Chrome were running.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Most of the installed apps would be uninstalled,
Yeah, that's the reason I am postponing it. Anyway, I will have to backup all the data for safety reason. Reset or fresh installation would take about the same amount of time, so I prefer to go for fresh installation. Downloaded the file and made bootable USB.
To get the system back to how it is now will take a looong time. Usually, it will take weeks or months for me. Last time I did this was when I bought this system two years back.
I prefer that u use official media creation tool and reinstall through that, because reset/refresh will eat a lot of time+Space.
The issue with official media creation tool is that there is no pause/resume option. And with my bandwidth it will take half a day to download the file. If for any reason connection breaks, then I have to download all over again. So went for ISO option and created bootable USB with Rufus.

By the way, no BSOD for the whole day.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Yeah, that's the reason I am postponing it. Anyway, I will have to backup all the data for safety reason. Reset or fresh installation would take about the same amount of time, so I prefer to go for fresh installation. Downloaded the file and made bootable USB.
To get the system back to how it is now will take a looong time. Usually, it will take weeks or months for me. Last time I did this was when I bought this system two years back.

The issue with official media creation tool is that there is no pause/resume option. And with my bandwidth it will take half a day to download the file. If for any reason connection breaks, then I have to download all over again. So went for ISO option and created bootable USB with Rufus.

By the way, no BSOD for the whole day.

Good if you didn't faced it today, but try to be on the safer side.

That too should work.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Last night tried the windows updated which failed repetitively before. It took forever to download the file, I thought again it's gonna fail. But then it started installing. At 40% BSOD with stop code UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION. Luckily it happened while I was still in Windows environment, not during configuring/setting up/installing with the blue screen displays a message "don't turn off your pc while updating".
Booted again, it started where it left before crashing. From 40% to 100% it took about 45 minutes to complete, then a windows popped to restart. I restarted, it took another 5-10 minutes and few restarts to complete the update.

Thinking about trying this for a week. This 2004 version is like a fresh installation. If it's okay, probably I won't be needing fresh installation of Windows again.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Last night tried the windows updated which failed repetitively before. It took forever to download the file, I thought again it's gonna fail. But then it started installing. At 40% BSOD with stop code UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION. Luckily it happened while I was still in Windows environment, not during configuring/setting up/installing with the blue screen displays a message "don't turn off your pc while updating".
Booted again, it started where it left before crashing. From 40% to 100% it took about 45 minutes to complete, then a windows popped to restart. I restarted, it took another 5-10 minutes and few restarts to complete the update.

Thinking about trying this for a week. This 2004 version is like a fresh installation. If it's okay, probably I won't be needing fresh installation of Windows again.

The same happened with me this morning. I set it to update 4 in the morning, It too got stuck at updating. I waited till 10 in the morning, Then I switched it off forcibly, After boot, it started and continued update which took mere 2 mins to complete. I think it is a bug.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Tried Gameloop last Friday, BSOD with stop code SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION within few minutes of launching. Booted again and played for few hours. No further BSOD till now.
Yesterday while I was in Gameloop, it froze and I thought it's gonna crash. Hwinfo and Task manager was running at that time. As soon as it froze, CPU utilization went down all the way to single digit in %. I waited for a while, but no crash. Closed the app and launched it again.
I will continue using this 2004 Windows update and see if I am experiencing any BSOD and let you guys know next weekend.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Played last weekend, no BSOD.
Pretty much it was fine until yesterday night while playing PUBGM. It was running fine for few games and then it started. Checked for new updates in the last week and updated them as well.
It repeatedly happened about 7-8 times. Whenever this happens, CPU usage goes down to single digit in % from 75% and disk usage goes to 100% from 0 - single digit % (I keep the task manager open). By the way, still no minidumps. :(
Reset paging file - still crashing
Removed paging file - still crashing.
Check disk for errors - Good
Ran HDD tools - Healthy

I guess I will fresh install OS this weekend. I have already started taking backups. Pretty much all my pen drive, mobile phone storage is full. There were some suggestions online about doing secure erase of SSD before installing Windows. One of the suggested option is using USB bootable drive - Samsung has it's own tool for that. Now I have to ask people if they have any spare pen drive I can borrow. My board BIOS have secure erase+, don't know if it's as good/same as the USB bootable version.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Couldn't get a spare pen drive from anyone, so didn't try Samsung Magician's secure erase tool before installing of OS.
Some reported that they got their drive locked after using MSI secure erase+, so I didn't want to try that as I already have lot of issues to deal with.

Installed Windows 10 yesterday, it was lot quicker than I remember. Probably coz I did this time with USB pen drive.
Played last night, it was going good for hours, then it happened. So I guess, culprit is not the OS here.
Don't know what could be the possible reason for 100% disk usage then crashing.
Tried more than half a dozen drive checking tools, none pointing the drive.

I have been troubleshooting this issue for over a month now, still couldn't find the issue and fix it.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Do you remember something installed newly and before that the system was running fine? Maybe a new ram or hdd.
BSOD generally happens due to incompatible hardware(I think your case) or software which doesn’t seem to be in this case.
Worst case scenario your hdd has bad sectors as far as I can guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
100% high disk usage can be caused by Telemetry (Should You Disable Windows 10 Telemetry? - Smart Buyer) try disabling this. A lot of users reported this being main issue for high disk usage and 100% CPU usage.

But, what worries me is that you refreshed OS recently, did you install all softwares again (that you had before OS refresh)?
also, how many peripherals are connected to your system at a time. Try to remove those that you don't absolutely need.
Try to live one day without those and check.

You must have written already but still let me ask, bad sectors in HDD? Did you check? If not, check once.

Top Bottom