Bought Nexus S..... Queries

dharmil007

Journeyman
Hey Hello everyOne

ThanK u Ppl. for u such WonderFul suggestions.

based on ur Suggestions i Suggested my Friend to go for Nexus S.
My friend has bought Nexus S & its such a wonderFul device i m literally hooked to it.
i Myself m Thinking of buying one

I have some question regarding this nexuS s.

1. What is the difference between kernel & mods {eg. cyanogen, oxygen, etc}

2. i Have heard from someOne that out of 512mb Ram only 200mb is useFul rest is used by GPU.But it has a dedicated GPU, so why its using Phones RAM ??

3. Browser is lagging is there a solution for this ??

4. Do rooting & installing diff. mods/kernel void warranty ? & can this warranty be got back after we install stock ROM ?

5. iS 720p recording possible through any Custom ROMS ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. kernel . mod = a rom derived from official rom or CAF (code aurora files) or Cyanogen ROM (Cyanogen is a a team that makes freshly built rom for some specific mobiles).
2. never heard anything like that. but usually, of 512Mb, around 350Mb should be free.
3. lagging all the time or when using some flash heavy website?
4. yes rooting voids warranty & restoring the mobile to stock state will bring back warranty.
5. yes, maybe. look here

sygeek

Technomancer
  1. Kernel vs. Rom
  2. Nothing like that, GPU doesn't use the RAM.* Neither is there a limitation 200MB or whatsoever. Who told you this stuff?
  3. Heavy flash-based sites are bound to lag depending on the way they're coded. Give me an example of such a site that lags for you. Also, I'd suggest you go for a 3rd party browser like Opera/Firefox and see if it can handle those sites better.
  4. Technically, rooting doesn't void your warranty, unlocking the bootloader does. Practically, most of the time, this process involves unlocking the bootloader, so, in simple words, YES, rooting does void your warranty. And it is reversible depending upon your phone/custom ROM.
  5. It maybe possible, but as of yet, no custom ROM has achieved this.

*Edit: This a personal assumption, correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
OP
dharmil007

dharmil007

Journeyman
  1. Nothing like that, GPU doesn't use the RAM. Neither is there a limitation 200MB or whatsoever. Who told you this stuff?*

*[Edit: This a personal assumption here, correct me if I'm wrong]

i Have seen this on XDA Forum, many ppl are complaining about this.
So i Thought that someone here may have an Answer to this

Soumik

Padawan
1. already answered.
2. As far as i know, GPU does reserve a certain amount of system RAM for itself. Thats the reason why Galaxy S/Nexus has such a low amount of available RAM, while Galaxy SL has a larger amount of free RAM. Better the GPU, more is the RAM allocated to it. There is no dedicated GPU concept in phones like in computers. Its the combined chipset, it doesnt have any memory. So, a certain amount will be reserved for it to use from the system RAM. Or so i guess.
3. Not sure y its lagging. Try Opera Mini. Or if u have wifi, Dolphin HD broser.
4. As already stated. :)
5. Yes its possible. For now, its under test and available as a Mod. Check this : XDA Forums

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
1. What is the difference between kernel & mods {eg. cyanogen, oxygen, etc}
A: Kernel is the core of the OS (mods). It directly speaks to the hardware. Every mod comes with its own kernel. Same kernel can power different mods (for same device).

2. i Have heard from someOne that out of 512mb Ram only 200mb is useFul rest is used by GPU.But it has a dedicated GPU, so why its using Phones RAM ??
A: You are right. The RAM is shared with GPU it's not dedicated.

3. Browser is lagging is there a solution for this ??
A: Android browser is the best in business, nothing beats it, check the speed of the connection.

4. Do rooting & installing diff. mods/kernel void warranty ? & can this warranty be got back after we install stock ROM ?
A: Yes it voids the warranty. Unrooting is far more difficult than rooting. But it is possible. To revert to warranty & receive OTAs from Google you will have to revert to factory ROM.

5. Is 720p recording possible through any Custom ROMS ??
A: No

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
hey i too was intereted in buying the nexus s for my younger brother but i have some doubts
the indian version of nexus s has super lcd screen and not the amoled , whats the difference
also i have heard a lot of rumors that the lcd version i9023 has 256 mb ram as opposed to 512mb
all these things along with lack of card slot and fm has turned me in favour of lg optimus black , my brother wants a good looking phone with a descent sound quality . my budget is 19k .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hey i too was intereted in buying the nexus s for my younger brother but i have some doubts
the indian version of nexus s has super lcd screen and not the amoled , whats the difference
also i have heard a lot of rumors that the lcd version i9023 has 256 mb ram as opposed to 512mb
all these things along with lack of card slot and fm has turned me in favour of lg optimus black , my brother wants a good looking phone with a descent sound quality . my budget is 19k .

still, I think N:S is better than O:B

1. S-LCD or AMOLED has happened on many threads. do search a bit and you can also get lot of info on google
2. don't think so. what I heard is that on N:S, more amount of memory is dedicated to GPU, thereby reducing the amount available for the CPU.
3. it comes with 16gig onboard, so not to worry much about card slot
4. FM radio can be activated by loading custom ROMs
5. N:S audio quality is definitely among the best.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

i Havent purchased it yet.
But thee price they are quoting is 19k

you better get it asap if you want it else wait for SGS:R. Soon, the N:S will be out of stock. looks like bloody samsung is pulling it off the market as it is hurting the sales of SGS and SGS:L

you better get it asap if you want it else wait for SGS:R. Soon, the N:S will be out of stock. looks like bloody samsung is pulling it off the market as it is hurting the sales of SGS and SGS:L

Ya..
Whenever i called the store, the salesman was forcing me to buy Galaxy S. :evil:

s_holmes

Broken In
Ya..
Whenever i called the store, the salesman was forcing me to buy Galaxy S. :evil:

Nexus S is out of stock in both Letsbuy and Flipkart. Also I enquired in a couple of stores here in B'lore and they said they are not able to get the stock for this. So if you really want this phone then get it ASAP.

I myself am waiting for the release of Galaxy R. :)) Hoping it is priced similar to LG Optimus 2X as both have similar specs..

OP
dharmil007

dharmil007

Journeyman
Nexus S is out of stock in both Letsbuy and Flipkart. Also I enquired in a couple of stores here in B'lore and they said they are not able to get the stock for this. So if you really want this phone then get it ASAP.

I myself am waiting for the release of Galaxy R. :)) Hoping it is priced similar to LG Optimus 2X as both have similar specs..

is Galaxy R better then Nexus S ??
will it get faster updates &
a good support of the dev community like custom roms ???

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes. G:R is better than N:S
no it won't get the updates faster
yes, it may get better dev support but this one, we will get to know only after the phone is out across the globe

Top Bottom