Bought: Buying new phone with a personality (after my Moto X died)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So, it's the time of my life again, where I dig deep to do research on what phone to buy next. I have used two epic phones in my life as of now, both has a personality:
1. LG Optimus One (very popular and supported phone of its time)
2. Moto X (1st gen) (awesome and unique phone of it's time, features rich not gimmick)

Sadly, my Moto X fall from when I was riding my bike, and then before I could pick it up, a car ran over it rendering it's screen broken. It might still be alive, but display repair cost is atleast 3k. Combined it with the fact that it's non removable battery was not even lasting 12 hours on full charge and that I used this phone for 3 years I think it's time for an upgrade to those shiny fingerprint enabled fHD phones!

So I went back to the spreadsheet and plotted specs of various phones which I shortlisted. Here is the google docs link of the same:
Mission Next Phone.xlsx

Spreadsheet have following phone's specs:
Redmi Note 4 12,999
Mi A1 14,999
Mi Max 2 16,999
Moto G5 Plus 13,999
Moto G5s Plus 15,999
Moto Z Play 24,999
Moto Z2 Play 27,999
Moto X4 ~ Rs 22,000
LG V20 29,000
LG Q6 14,990
Nokia 7 TBA
OnePlus 3T 24,999
OnePlus 5 32,999
Huawei Honor 8 17,990

For this thread's purpose though here is the filled questionnaire:

1. Budget?
I am ok till 20k. But I am flexible. I can also shell only 10k for a phone like Redmi Note 4 (cause it effing ticks all checkmark [I will talk about it later]. But I can also spend beyond 20k if I think phone is WORTHY [that is with a personality])

2. Display type and size?
Atleast full HD display, Amoled is preferable but not mandatory since coming from an Amoled display (got used to the richness of black). Also 5.5" could be huge for my small hands. BUT some phones CAN pull it off by having a large display to body ratio (thin bezel) like LG Q6.

3. Dual sim?
Yes. I want to use two sims and a memory card. Even in Hybrid dual SIM's tho, there comes a Hybrid Sim Slot Adapter (like this)which can be used to use 2 SIMs and a card simultaneously. So can look at it if I choose to go with Hybrid SIM phone.

4. Preferred choice of brand?
LG, Motorola, OnePlus, Lenovo, Mi (in decreasing order of preference)
NOT Samsung, Apple, Oppo, Vivo, Panasonic etc

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
I don't take much selfies. Front camera not a priority. But a rear camera should be good. I realize that a phone which can shoot 60fps on fHD would be great!

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Android

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
Of course. I think this question can be removed from the template. Instead storage should be asked. So in this case I want at least 64 GB of inbuilt memory, to store all those offline content like YT offline videos and Amazon Prime videos.
Also headphone jack is important. I choose all phones with headphone jack.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Everything except gaming. I game mosty on PC on my beloved RX 480.

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Shared a spreadsheet.

10. Any other info that you want to share
A lot. So no phone is perfect right now. Never was any phone that was perfect. Maybe Nexus line up, but then again, those were not dual SIM, or with removable battery, or with expandable storage. So lets see what quirks does some of the phone of today have, and why those are not perfect:

Redmi Note 4: Plane looking, flat phone, hybrid SIM, non stock ROM. It ticks all the boxes of features but it lacks on build front.
Moto G5 Plus: It's a very strong candidate on my list. But it's only available in 32 GB of in built memory for India market. :( Also don't have Amoled.
Moto G5s Plus: It's hybrid SIM phone, don't have Amoled. Speaker is present on the bottom part of the phone unlike Moto G5 plus where it is in front.
Moto Z Play: It's a one year old phone. It have same processor as in Moto G5 plus and G5s BUT price is a lot more since it's "moddable" with very costly Moto Mods. White Moto Z play is Rs 20,100 but Black is Rs 24999. WUT?
Moto Z2 Play: It's new avatar of Moto Z play, but with slightly new processor as of old. BUT they downgraded battery from 3510 mAh to 3000 (WHY?). Also price is 28k! :shock:
Moto X4: It's upcoming phone from Motorola, BUT with 32 GB of memory and 3 GB of RAM. Also no Amoled. Moto's drunk.
LG V20: Damn, this phone is good. Even at 5.7" screen size it's display to body is good so doesn't seem THAT large. But price of 29K. :(
LG Q6: Kept this on list since it's very cheap. If I can decide on nothing, this is the fall back plan.
Nokia 7: This checks all boxes of my criteria. But it's hybrid SIM. Also price is not known.
OnePlus 3T: I am considering this chinese option too. Only because Moto seems to have been infected with cancer after Lenovo bought it. But this is not available right now atleast not the black version. It's costly too at Rs 25k.

So as you can see, almost all phones have SOME quirks if not many. I don't know what to buy!

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I would love to see the research you do before getting married ha ha
Don't buy a Moto again. If you do then don't expect any update after 8 months. If you decide for the redmi then don't buy it online.
OPO3T has got it's last update. Moreover OP always cheats in benchmarks so I hate them.

avanildutta

Journeyman
Have two redmi note 4 64gb ones.. And being a middle class guy.. Yes i love the phone.. Its the 'eye-phone' for middle class people like me..
Good luck with your hunt bro..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Don't buy a Moto again. If you do then don't expect any update after 8 months. If you decide for the redmi then don't buy it online.
Moto X4 also comes with Android One flavor, which promises to have updates till Android P. But I think it's only for US market. Will need to see.
Also moto phones have good support on XDA, so I am ok with that. Custom ROMS are always available.
OPO3T has got it's last update. Moreover OP always cheats in benchmarks so I hate them.
Benchmarks can also be referred from 3rd party or users who are using it. I don't think it's THAT easy to fake. But their phones aren't that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Have two redmi note 4 64gb ones.. And being a middle class guy.. Yes i love the phone.. Its the 'eye-phone' for middle class people like me...
Thanks man. Yes, the Redmi Note 4 checks almost every checkmark. It's a very good phone to have. If I ignore the build quality, I think I can buy it to save for some good and irresistible phone down the line when I also have more $$$ to afford it. Like LG V30. DAMN, that's a good and cool flagship phone. :wub:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Moto X4 also comes with Android One flavor, which promises to have updates till Android P. But I think it's only for US market. Will need to see.
Also moto phones have good support on XDA, so I am ok with that. Custom ROMS are always available.

Benchmarks can also be referred from 3rd party or users who are using it. I don't think it's THAT easy to fake. But their phones aren't that bad.

Moto promised 2 years of update for the G4 but started referring to it as an outdated phones within 8 months. Every phone has got support in XDA. They are still releasing Roms for 6-7 year old phones.

Nope, OPO is cheating customers. Search on XDA. Will post a link when I have access to a PC.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Alright. So I have been doing some research on Honor 8, which I had put as a last entry on my list.

I am reading good reviews about this phone especially the camera. In low light conditions, it takes very good pics. Every other features is on par except for the fact that it uses Hybrid sim, which I don't think should be an issue considering it have got 64 GB of internal memory. Edit: Oh no, it contains only 32 GB of memory. Looks like 64 GB variant didn't release in India. -_-

The only concern about this phone was that it uses non qualcomm or samsung's SOC. It uses it's own Kirin 950 SOC. But that doesn't necessarily means a bad thing. A quick read on this review tho suggest that it actually is a competition to Snapdragon 810. Except in gaming department it excels, which isn't my main priority anyway. Now Honor 8 have become a strong candidate!

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Benchmark Cheating Strikes Back: How OnePlus and Others Got Caught Red-Handed, and What They've Done About it

Do NOT Trust OnePlus 5 Benchmarks in Reviews - How OnePlus Cheated

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Alright. I have heard about benchmark hacks of OnePlus, but I thought it's an overall good phone, and the phone's good even if some benchmark figures are wrongly reported high.

Also, about Honor 8, it's off the consideration. It's single SIM in India. Dual SIM only in China. Also it's 32 GB and not 64 GB.
XDA didn't mention that for India specs are low. :/

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Alright. I have heard about benchmark hacks of OnePlus, but I thought it's an overall good phone, and the phone's good even if some benchmark figures are wrongly reported high.

Also, about Honor 8, it's off the consideration. It's single SIM in India. Dual SIM only in China. Also it's 32 GB and not 64 GB.
XDA didn't mention that for India specs are low. :/
Hack, dude OPO has those cheating features inbuilt. If you still think the phone's good then your money your call.
Do consider the Nokia one's too. They are pretty good.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hack, dude OPO has those cheating features inbuilt. If you still think the phone's good then your money your call.
Do consider the Nokia one's too. They are pretty good.

Oh is it inbuilt! I wasn't expecting that.
Well I have a new phone to consider: Honor 6X. At the price of Rs 14k it's an exceptionally good phone for camera side.
Only drawback seems to be that it may lag on high end games like Asphalt 8. But I am not gamin much on phone anyway. So that should be ok. Also any of the dual SIM slots can accept 4G, but the other sim slot can only have 2G (not even 3G). But that is ok too, since I don't expect to use internet on both sims.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Damn man. I am in a fix now. No smartphone is perfect, and I am getting more puzzled looking at all those small annoying things that otherwise could have made a good smartphone.
I have removed the criteria of Hybrid sim since I think 64 GB is enough for mobile usage.

I added a new sheet in the google spreadsheet to see how different mobiles fares on parameters I care about (work in progress):
Screenshot:
*i.imgur.com/0M6iUPZ.jpg

In other news, I am getting really inclined to just throw $$$ to get LG V30. Damn thing is BEAUTIFUL!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Here's a video comparing LG V30 camera with expensive Red camera:
Yes, comparison might be a bit flawed (since they choose high contrast shots and not all kind of shots shot by Red camera can be replicated using the phone) but it's awesome by the way LG V30 have such manual control in their camera app. (LOTS OF FREAKING GRANULAR CONTROL).

Also, yea LG V30 might be too expensive for me to buy, but I loved the phone!

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
it would have a launch price of atleast 40k in india, atleast..
Yea. :(
But I think it's worth even that much money. Though totally out of budget for me. I can buy it, but that be overkill in the current state of my requirements.
Should I just take it in EMI. :confused:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No man, you should find a phone that you can buy in one go, then buy that in EMI. Personally 40k for a phone doesnt justify it too much for me, your requirement could be different :D

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
After much pondering I was still not able to decide which phone to go for. But I loved V30 to the point that I just thought to get that through EMI. But due to the fact that I just invested around 90k on a new bike for me and since I have other commitments I didn't want to spend Rs 45k on it. At that price point there are no dearth of choices to choose from. So I thought of just buying Redmi Note 4 and get it over with.

But I couldn't get over the fact how cool a 18:9 phone looks. The smaller cousin of LG G5, the LG Q6 was on my radar now. The display of this phone (ratio 18:9) made me want to just buy that even if the phone lacked lot of hardware like fingerprint scanner. I was over the fact that Redmi Note 4 ticks so many checkmarks. What matters in the end is how your phone looks. The look of a phone is the first thing you see when you pickup your phone. It's the first thing anyone else see in your hands while you are holding it.

BUT THEN, I thought, hey if I liked 18:9 so much why don't I look for other 18:9 phones available in the market. And hence I did following research on the best 18:9 phones available.

Following is the list of 18:9 phones (from this article: 10 Best Phones With 18:9 Displays That You Can Buy In India - Smartprix Blog):
iPhone X (₹ 89,000)
Google Pixel 2XL (₹ 73,000)
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (₹ 67,900)
Samsung Galaxy S8/ S8+ (₹ 58,900)
LG V30 (~₹ 45,000)
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 (₹ 35,999)
LG G6 (₹ 33,990)
Oppo F5 (~₹ 24,990)
Vivo V7+ (₹ 21,990)
Huawei Honor 9i (₹ 17,999)
LG Q6-series (₹ 14,990)
Micromax Canvas Infinity (₹ 9,999)

Removing excessive costly and the brands I wouldn't prefer, following is the shortlist:
Huawei Honor 9i (₹ 17,999)
LG Q6-series (₹ 14,990)

So I think the real compeitition now is between Huawei Honor 9i and LG Q6 phone. Honor 9i launched just a week ago, the phone doesn't even have a page on GSMArena now. But I gathered information from other sites and I have documented the spec difference between the two phones in sheet "Best 18:9 phone" of the spreadsheet (Vyom's Mission Next Phone).

From geekyranjit video on Honor 9i:
Good screen visibility under sunlight.
Good battery life.
Not for hardcore gaming.
Good front camera performance.
No 4K video option in rear camera and no object stabalization.
No fast charging and slow normal charging.
No dual speaker and one speaker also below (not that they could have placed speaker with that 18:9 display)
No gyroscope (DEAL BREAKER)

So, there you go. No gyroscope. Come on Huawei. The only better option than LG G6 in 18:9 phone, and you had to mess it up. Thanks man.

Back to square one.

Top Bottom