Bootup Manager in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

nithishr

Journeyman
Please help me guys,

I run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS linux(Fully Updated) along with Windows XP SP2. My problemis that i cannot edit my bootloader menu. With all the updates & options, I now have around seven options in my bootloader. I want to hide some of this. Please give me the command to do it.
I have one more problem. I cant get my hard drive to auto mount. I have installed ntfs-3g.
Please help guys....
Thanks a lot in advance....

Fighter

Broken In
Hi I am not 100% sure if this will work but i suppose its worth a try, as my SATA drives now auto mount upon boot

goto console

chdir /etc/rcS.d <enter>

sudo ln -s ../init.d/mountall.sh <enter>

enter password <enter> then reboot, should hopefully work...

OP
N

nithishr

Journeyman
Read this
*www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Understand

Uncomment unwanted lines with a #

But how to edit the file?
It says i have insufficient permission to perform the edit.
Isn't there a GUI software to do this? I have used one in Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
But how to edit the file?
It says i have insufficient permission to perform the edit.
Isn't there a GUI software to do this? I have used one in Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.

Yes

Press Alt and F2

type gnome-terminal and press ENTER

type sudo gedit and press ENTER, key in your password when prompted and press ENTER. When you key in your password you will not see the cursor move or any *** charactersd so be careful :)

Gedit the text editor will open in superuser mode and you can take browse to /boot/grub/menu.lst and edit it. Just comment out unwanted line, that means putting a # character at the beginning of th eline, but do that after you read the tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom