Bootmgr is missing - error

rohit0571

Journeyman
I have installed two OS (win 7 Ultimate & Win 7 home) on my HDD of 1TB, seagate.

Recently I added my old 40GB HDD of WD to it and it was giving me problems which are given here:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/169860-error-deleting-formating-2nd-hdd.html

Then gameranand suggested me to use Minitool Partition Wizard through which I formatted my 40GB HDD but after the format i got the above error.
Then I tried to repair it via my system image created on 1TB HDD but it the pc said that I have to use my 64bit DVD for using the image as it is a 64 bit image. But I was using the DVD through which I had installed the Win7 ultimate which has both 64bit and 86 bit OSs.

Then I tried to repair it by installing WIn xp on the 40 TB HDD and from there through the old image created via seagate disk wizard, but even it was not able to recover the boot file but instead it installed another copy of WIn 7 Ultimate on the Ultimate disk side by side. I even had the easybcd installed and it was also not able to recover the boot files.

Pls tell if there is another way of recovering the boot file and if not, then pls tell how should I install & backup the Win 7 on the 2 HDDs in such a way that in future I am not going to face such a problem.

I tried to boot the HDD on other pc, but it did'nt booted.

Pls tell can I install Mac on this PC.

gameranand

Living to Play
1. Why the hell on earth would anyone install two versions of the same OS on a single OS ??
2. Yes you can recover the Boot file but as you have already messed up everything so I would suggest for a clean reinstall.
3. In which HDD you want to install OS and which OS you want to install Win 7 or Win XP ??

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Firstly why are you using 2 copies of Windows7? Windows 7 Ultimate has all features of Windows 7 Home.
Remove the old HDD then try fixing boot manger with Windows DVD.
I‘d say delete one instance of Windows 7 as I don‘t think its of much use.

OP
R

rohit0571

Journeyman
1. Why the hell on earth would anyone install two versions of the same OS on a single OS ??
2. Yes you can recover the Boot file but as you have already messed up everything so I would suggest for a clean reinstall.
3. In which HDD you want to install OS and which OS you want to install Win 7 or Win XP ??

Firstly why are you using 2 copies of Windows7? Windows 7 Ultimate has all features of Windows 7 Home.
Remove the old HDD then try fixing boot manger with Windows DVD.
I‘d say delete one instance of Windows 7 as I don‘t think its of much use.

I have installed 2 different OSs of Win7 as one is for my kids who regularly add games & other softwares of their choice at Win 7 home and I am using the other OS WIn7 ultimate for my official & personal work. Earlier my kids were using WIn xp, but as I have 4GB ram, I installed Win7 home edition 64bit as it uses full ram to play the games.

Can you tell me how and where to copy the boot file from DVD? Pls also tell I can install Mac on my PC just for testing basis.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Dude..

Just clear up one of the OS installations first as suggested. Park your mac aside for now (And Mac is not built officially for devices other than Apple)

Windows 7 ultimate = Windows 7 Home + some more additional security and other features.

How does installing games ever bother your work (apart from the space consumed) if you are working on your pc without multitasking and playing a game yourself (which will take away your resources)??

All you needed was a guest login for your kids to have a personalized desktop that isolates your work envi from theirs.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Plus you can use parental controls to block access to some applications from your kids.

OP
R

rohit0571

Journeyman
Dude..

Just clear up one of the OS installations first as suggested. Park your mac aside for now (And Mac is not built officially for devices other than Apple)

Windows 7 ultimate = Windows 7 Home + some more additional security and other features.

How does installing games ever bother your work (apart from the space consumed) if you are working on your pc without multitasking and playing a game yourself (which will take away your resources)??

All you needed was a guest login for your kids to have a personalized desktop that isolates your work envi from theirs.

I gave another OS to kids because even if there is any problem in their OS, mine will continue to work.

gameranand

Living to Play
I gave another OS to kids because even if there is any problem in their OS, mine will continue to work.

If you make a guest account with limited privilege then they can't do much harm at all because they won't have the permission to do so. :)

My suggestions would be
1. Disconnect your 40GB HDD.
2. Install OS (only one) in your primary HDD.
3. Connect the 40GB HDD
4. Format it and then work, if second HDD gives some problem in formatting then use Linux Boot and format it from there. :)

OP
R

rohit0571

Journeyman
If you make a guest account with limited privilege then they can't do much harm at all because they won't have the permission to do so. :)

My suggestions would be
1. Disconnect your 40GB HDD.
2. Install OS (only one) in your primary HDD.
3. Connect the 40GB HDD
4. Format it and then work, if second HDD gives some problem in formatting then use Linux Boot and format it from there. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have reinstated my boot file using my WIn 7 DVD. I copied the boot file from DVD to my PC via dos and it worked.

As far as the above is concerned, I have disconnected my 40 GB HDD and will format one partition which contains WIn 7 HOme after opening WIn 7 Ultimate. Hope this works. Pls tell if this is the correct method.

Top Bottom