Booting options in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenblue

Broken In
thanks for the info 'theraven'....i may try it next time i need to update...for now my system is updates as of today...and i have already downloaded mediaplayer 10 separately...anyways...thanks so much...:)

hard_rock

Salieri Family
enoonmai: I think u misunderstood the problem..........my XP is working correctly even after I edited boot.ini..........but the matter is bootloader is not detecting Win98.The filesystem of windows 98 has not been changed.Thn also it's not detecting it.When I selected Win98 in bootloader after editing boot.ini and pressed enter then it showed error:HAL.dll missing.......ya it's only 4 Winxp(Hal.dll)...........but my question is how to make Win98 drive that is D: drive bootable.......
I think this prob. occurred bcoz I tried fixmbr n fixboot cmds from Winxp bootable CD when Grub wasn't detecting my WINDOWS........thn I wanted to restore boot.ini........

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Dude, check out hardrock's post on the previous page to get an itty bitty sample of the billion and one things that can go wrong if something screws up with the boot.ini file edit.

enoonmai: I think u misunderstood the problem..........my XP is working correctly even after I edited boot.ini..........but the matter is bootloader is not detecting Win98.The filesystem of windows 98 has not been changed.Thn also it's not detecting it.When I selected Win98 in bootloader after editing boot.ini and pressed enter then it showed error:HAL.dll missing.......ya it's only 4 Winxp(Hal.dll)...........but my question is how to make Win98 drive that is D: drive bootable.......
I think this prob. occurred bcoz I tried fixmbr n fixboot cmds from Winxp bootable CD when Grub wasn't detecting my WINDOWS........thn I wanted to restore boot.ini........

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
hard_rock said:
enoonmai: I think u misunderstood the problem..........but my question is how to make Win98 drive that is D: drive bootable.......

Hmm, you're right there, buddy. I DID misunderstand. Did you try using XOSL? Probably that might help. I'm stumped for the moment, if something comes up in that small brain of mine, I'll post it here. :D

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hmm, you're right there, buddy. I DID misunderstand. Did you try using XOSL? Probably that might help. I'm stumped for the moment, if something comes up in that small brain of mine, I'll post it here.
I tried XOSL..................thx man........U solved my 1 problem........i.e, Fedora booting.........it boots neatly without a problem........but when I chose win 98 in XOSL it didn't boot........what do u think the boot files in tht drive r missin or what? Previously when I used fixmbr,fixboot options n tried to reinstall XP .......then in Scandisk it showed an error tht some amount 101MB is wasted by files which are not used........do u want to fix this............I fixed tht...................does this has something to do with the corruption of D: where 98 is stored.In 1 sentence my question is........
How to make drive containing win98se bootable

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hey guyz,I have Windows XP Home SP2,Fedora Core1, Win98se on my AMD Athlon Xp 2800+ PC.
I recently installed fedora n didn't get GRUB bootloader..........so I reinstalled grub into MBR............thn boot.ini get corrupted n on next booting it showed "Disk error".......Grub worked fine but in tht windows did'nt came up. So I formatted drive C: which contained WinXPhome n reinstalled XP without harming D: which contains Win98se. While using scandisk it showed an error in D: tht it can free up space which some files has occupied earlier which are now not present......I fixed it........
this is what happened.......now my prob is bootloader Boot.ini is not detecting Win98se.I don't want to reinstall it.How to recover it.
Offcourse I added the line indicating the partition containing Win98se.It showed during booting.On entering Win98se it showed Windows can't be detected.Hal.dll is missing.How to recover 98?
Hey Shekhar......I have added the win 98 se in boot.ini....my prob is as explained above with further clear cut picture in this page...........
I think some files required 4 win98 are missing in D: where win98 are missing......what are they......? what might be the reason 4 this problem? is copying system files to the drive D: makes it bootable..........what is the Solution 4 this........

swatkat

Technomancer
For all your Boot.ini queries visit this page:
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022
If u want to retain Win bootloader after linux installation visit this link:
*www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

hard_rock

Salieri Family
For all your Boot.ini queries visit this page:
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022
If u want to retain Win bootloader after linux installation visit this link:
*www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

Hey Swatkat.........u sent the links thru PM to me n thx 4 tht.......now adding to boot.ini is not a problem.........but D: is not bootable........i.e, I added windows 98 partition details to boot.ini it didn't not worked.........even tried XOSL it didn't considered drive D: as bootable........I mean a drive with an OS.So how to make it recognize as OS.Is the OS corrupt.......If yes what are the files missingg.....Does any change in the MBR effects the consideration of some drive as not containing OS.i.e, I made some changes in MBR.thn does it effects the partition table stored in it n the information abt drive D: as bootable is corrupted...ya, this is really a weird prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom