Bootable Linux: Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

godling

Banned
I have a 80GB portable HDD formatted in NTFS file system.

Is there a live linux (bootable from a CD) which can recognize
NTFS file system?

Will Knoppix be able to identify my NTFS portable HDD when I
plug it into the USB port? or should I go for Ubuntu?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Ubuntu 7.04 recognised my drives immediately. But no NTFS write support by default I guess.

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Here is the text I get from

Q: How can I write data on NTFS partitions?

A: Knoppix 5 supports write access for NTFS partitions using libntfs and fuse. While preliminary results show generally good stability and a low likelihood of data corruption on the NTFS partition, these libraries are still beta and there is risk of data loss and disk corruption (back up your data first). Knoppix (and the Linux kernel) can read NTFS partitions just fine, the danger is only present when attempting to write to it.

Older versions of Knoppix can be forced to write to NTFS partitions, but at great risk of scrambling the underlying NTFS filesystem (Captive NTFS used the existing NTFS drivers from a Windows system to acesss the NTFS drive, but was slow and unstable.)

And also see this

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
and ...

The best part of Live CD with full NTFS write support is that it actually exists in LinuxDefender, a remastered Knoppix distribution made by Bitdefender, presented at LinuxConf 2003, the annual Romanian Linux Users Group (RLUG) conference.
LinuxDefender can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.bitdefender.com/pub/linux/free/LinuxDefender/"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom