Boot Loader Missing Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech&ME

Banned
Yesterday, I installed Suse Linux 9.1 from the Digit DVD, I already had Windows XP installed, now Windows XP refuses to boot. Linux does gives an option to boot into windows but it does not boot and i get error - "Error Loading Operating System" message.

I have Windows XP Home Edition in the first partition on an NTFS file System
The entries in the boot.ini looks like this :

[Boot Loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.2

[operating System]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS.2="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

-------

The Partition table looks like this in Suse Linux 9.1
Device Size Type Mount Start End

/dev/hda 37.2GB ST340015A 0 77544
/dev/hda1 22.0GB HPFS/NTFS /Windows/c 0 45778
/dev/hda2 4.0GB Extended 69201 77535
/dev/hda3 397.1GB Linux Swap Swap 45779 46585
/dev/hda 10.8GB Linux native / 46586 69199
/dev/hda 4.0GB HPFS/NTFS /Windows/D 69201 77535

I have MSword documents on the D: and Windows XP on C:

I cannot boot with Windows XP Recovery CD into the Recovery console, I cannot also boot using the bootable floppy into DOS. The file System of Windows XP is NTFS. I donot want to reinstall Windows XP , Please kindly help me resolve this isssue. The Suse Linux uses the GRUB to boot into Linux.It seems to me that the MBR has be loaded with GRUB boot loader and I want to get back the Ntdlr in the MBR back or a similar solution so that I can multi boot into both the OS's , Windows XP and Suse Linux 9.1. Also My modem Connext 56k (PCI Internal), is not detected by Linux how can I make Linux detect this CARD in order to use Internet. Please Help Me as soon as possible. I have downloaded XOSL from the net version 1.5.5, however I dont know if installing it will help me kindly tell me if installing it will help or not if yes tell me how to install it since I cannot even go to the Dos mode. Help Please.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Tech&ME said:
[operating System]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS.2="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

This looks scary... how many times did you install Windows XP on the same partition ? From your boot.ini file it seems that you have 4 installations of windows XP on the same partition.... I can't make out which is the correct installation of windows XP...

After you detect which is the correct installation then just make the default variable in boot.ini point to the correct entry in [operating system] section

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
I cannot edit the boot.ini file, can u tell me how to edit it, since I cannot boot into Pure Dos mode now. Also Suse Linux does not allow to edit the file but we can just view the contents. Please Help!

Btw. can I install XOSL 1.1.5. Will this help?

naveenchandran

In the zone
well tech&me I think you had a good XP with XP

let me try to give you a solution

If u want to restore your M$ Windows XP

Just insert your win xp CD and boot thro' CD

wait until the main Installation screen comes
See the below status bar you will see an option ( I think its *recover* or something I dont remember exactly)

It will take you to a dos like prompt

Then type
FIXMBR

Give ok to all the warnings etc..

Reboot the system You will get back the boot menu

:)

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
Well! friend, I cannot use the Recovery cd, When i insert the recovery cd and restart my computer the setup screen do start but it does not give me option for "REPAIR", i don't know why it is doing so, I think because there is no other operating system on this computer. I however tried to fix the mbr through a different setup CD of Windows XP seems it also has not worked. I have tried various methods but it seems the MBR of the Harddisk is badly damaged. Keep me informed if u have more good and better ideas, U guys are great and I hope u people will come up with great and helpful solution. thanks.

naveenchandran

In the zone
I cannot use the Recovery cd

I dont understand what U mean by recovery CD.

the setup screen do start but it does not give me option for "REPAIR

Did U boot from cd (Changed the options in BIOS to boot from your win xp cd??)
as soon as it detects the winxp cd the message comes

Boot in cd................. ( Similar to this I think )
Then WAIT It will first copy some thing detect etc..........

Then see down the screen a status bar like would be there............

There is a shortcut key for it........
If u go in it a dos like screen would appear.........

type FIXMBR

Then it gives some warnings give OK

That's it..............

I still have a doubt whether U are really booting from the cd :wink:

anyway try this

theKonqueror

CCIE# 20863
Windows XP

dev/hda1 22.0GB HPFS/NTFS /Windows/c 0 45778
/dev/hda2 4.0GB Extended 69201 77535
/dev/hda3 397.1GB Linux Swap Swap 45779 46585

It seems that u created the swap partition as primary partition. Windows allows only one primary partition, hence it is refusing to boot. (Windows sucks!). If u dont have much important data on linux partitions, delete them and try to boot. I think it will boot in XP w/o any errors. Other way is to take ur HDD to some friend, install it as secondary HDD and back up all your imortant data on his HDD, then total format ur HDD and Install from scratch.

Try this. It will surely help. If does not, u cn PM me.

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
Okay friends, I tried many possible ways and now it seems I have done it, the HAL.dll file is corrupted so I now need a copy of this file to replace the same. What I want from you guys is , Who ever is running there computer with Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 installed please go to your windows drive (where windows is installed, generally its the C: drive) and then navigate to the Windows folder on this drive and then go to the system32 folder , now in this folder navigate to the file HAL.dll , copy this file to a temporary folder (say to your my documents folder) . Connect your computer to the internet and e-mail me the copy of this HAL.dll file in this e-mail id : jalandeepak@rediffmail.com I shall be very greatful to you. Mark the subject line as Windows XP .

But be sure you have Windows XP Home Edition With Service Pack 2 installed. For Example go to your C:\Windows\system32\HAL.dll

Also note the file version of this HAL.dll file it should be 5.1.2600.2180

I would be very greatful to the guy who sends it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom