Bob Young and the Rise of Red Hat Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
One of the most fascinating stories in the technology sector has been the challenge posed by open-source giant Linux to Microsoft's dominance of the market for operating system software. One of the key players in the rise of Linux is Bob Young, co-founder of Red Hat Software, the largest distributor of the Linux operating system. Young's creative resolution of a crucial strategic dilemma was the event that put Red Hat – and Linux – on the path to profit and power in the marketplace.

In the 1980s, a movement had taken shape to develop software based on UNIX, an operating system invented in the 1970s at AT&T Bell Labs, and made available at no cost to anyone who requested a copy. In 1991, programmer Linus Torvalds posted a message on a UNIX users' bulletin board to announce he'd developed an operating system from the UNIX code. Before long, suggested improvements to Torvalds' program, dubbed Linux, were pouring in.

Source with Full Story

praka123

left this forum longback
sadly RH is not the dominant player anymore in distros.Ubuntu overtook!(infact Debian base!)
though RHEL is still the preferred server with NSA's SElinux which they enabled on their server os.their update service is very nice.though they lost Enterprise market some portions due to RHEL clones like WHEL,centos etc :p

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^My college still uses Red hat in all its PCs(a pretty old version though).I think I should tell them to use ubuntu instead :p.

Internet connection in our college lab rox! a steady 50-100kbps downloading speeds but the lab assistants buggers won't tell us the root password so we can't write cd\dvds.All we can do is watch youtube videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom