Blu Ray Sucks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Lolz....ya, High Defination videos of any kind sux, cos they all use HDCP for protection, lets all stick to DVD or Unprotected DivX or MKV. Who cares for the fees & labour of the movie industry, everything should be free...

[/sarcasm]

FSF said:
Well, there's just one problem. The movie industry assumes you are a criminal, and has added technologies to Blu-ray and HD-DVD that vastly restrict your potential enjoyment of their HD movies. I don't want it, and you don't either. Here's why.

Somebody should learn how to bend the truth from these guys :D. Shouldn't it be "Vastly restrict your potential to illegally copy & pirate the HD Movie"

cynosure

UbuntuUser
We know what happened with the region code. This might happen with HDCP too. Coz "thers always somebody better (than the HDCP guys) out there".

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
FSF said:
The jump from DVD to the next generation does not provide any benefits other than higher resolution, which to be fair is a great reason to want that upgrade, but there is nothing else
:ROFL , I don't think Linux users have enough money to buy 20" Monitors to enjoy HD content :D

FSF said:
Bah. 5.1 channel Dolby or DTS is pretty much the best it's going to get. Do you really want more speakers behind you than in front of you?
ha ha ha ha ha, this was a joke right? No really, this was a joke right?

FSF said:
The biggest lie of all is that we even need these new technologies to have HD video on a disc. DVD video has been around for almost 10 years now, and since then vastly superior video compression technologies have been introduced, namely MPEG-4 and all its variants (h.264, DivX, XviD, etc). These compression formats are absolutely amazing in regards to size vs quality.
Lolz....this guy is an idiot or what? H.264 is MPEG4-Part 10

The public is not ready for a new format already. A lot of people have spent a lot of money building their DVD collections, a format that just became mainstream ~5 years ago. Do you really want to go out and replace all of those movies? These new players will be backwards compatible with your old movies for sure, but if you just blew a grand on a shiny new player, you're going to want to watch your favorite movies in all their HD glory, right? Haven't you ever heard someone say, "Well, looks like now I have to buy another copy of the White Album" ?
Seriously, some of the most lame reasons I have ever heard from FSF. So now the artists are not even allowed to protect there content. :D

The reason which do make sense

• How old is your HDTV? If you bought it prior to 2005, and there are over 3 million of you who did, the MPAA thinks you shouldn't be able to watch HD movies in high definition. They are insisting that your TV supports digital encryption via an HDMI port or an HDCP-compliant DVI port, which these earlier TV's lack. If you have to stoop so low as to hook up your shiny new player via, God forbid, analog (component), the industry thinks you're not worthy. There's a fun little surprise they built in to Blu-ray and HD-DVD for people just like you, and it's called the Image Constaint Token. If it's enabled on a movie, and your connection does not support HDCP, then the movie is downsampled to 1/4 its native resolution, which is essentially the same as a standard DVD. While no movies have yet been released with the ICT enabled, know this: It will happen. It's just a matter of time.
  • Thinking about buying a new HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive for your computer? If you want to use it to watch movies, think again. You'll need to buy a lot more than just the drive. Remember, analog = BAD, digital encryption = GOOD. You'll need to open up that wallet of yours for a brand new HDCP-compliant video card, AND, an HDCP-compliant monitor. Notice the word compliant. That is very important. There are some products that just claim to be HDCP "compatible", but they will NOT work for viewing high definition movies.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
We dont want FSF to bend/bow to DMCA and RIAA or whoever.we respect Freedom of users(fair use?) which a sensible group of people can understand,but with ...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
gx_saurav said:
:ROFL , I don't think Linux users have enough money to buy 20" Monitors to enjoy HD content :D
yeah, right.
i have better things to do with my money.

Pathik

Google Bot
gx_saurav said:
Y do u think linux users r broke??? even if they r .. its better to use a better and free os rather than a pirated one..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
its not about broke, its about that guy's statement that Blue Ray only provides high resolution which isn't required & no other feature benefit. That is the most funniest statement I have ever heard from FSF. I guess that guy never used a 24" LCD monitor, so that he can see whats the benefit of HD Videos compared to DVD at such high size monitor.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
gx_saurav said:
its not about broke, its about that guy's statement that Blue Ray only provides high resolution which isn't required & no other feature benefit. That is the most funniest statement I have ever heard from FSF. I guess that guy never used a 24" LCD monitor, so that he can see whats the benefit of HD Videos compared to DVD at such high size monitor.

Irrelevant.

Am i to believe that you actually support DMCA, DRM, TPM, Palladium and all those media buzzwords?

Technology has never been a limitation. The ethics of computing is. Tell me, did you actually read the original link posted by Vivek?

goobimama

 Macboy
Its a stupid list indeed.

We know what happened with the region code. This might happen with HDCP too. Coz "thers always somebody better (than the HDCP guys) out there".
Well you can play protected content over an analog connection like your regular 15 pin vga port. At least till now, in future, with BD+ there may be a problem, but otherwise its fine over analog.
You can also "backup" your HD DVDs and Blurays, after which there is no content protection even over DVI/HDMI.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
GNUrag said:
Am i to believe that you actually support DMCA, DRM, TPM, Palladium and all those media buzzwords?

DRM & DMCA = No, I don't support

TPM & Palladium = Yes, I do support them. However where I support them depends on where they are being used.

Stop bending what I wrote here. Its was not about whether Linux Guys has no money to buy large screen monitors etc, its about that guys statement "The only benefit of blu ray is high resolution" :D

Anyone who has remotely studied the H.264 algorithm & HD content delivery mechanism can simply clarify that even without HDCP support in hardware, Blu Ray Disks will play at the resolution of 720X480 which is that of DVD. However, due it H.264 Codec coupled with Higher Bitrate then a DVD, the quality of lowest Quality HD DVD Content is better then DVD.

He said DivX HD is good & fits in DVD9. Well yeah, & DivX container is also good. But DivX is not a license free or open or ISO Standard.

First, learn to laugh at the whats humorous & stupid, then say something.:D

goobimama

 Macboy
That point is a sort of valid one. The one with the DivX thing. Well maybe not divx cause it sucks, but definitely x264. And a DVD9 is perfect for 1080p... if only there be standalone mkv players out there...

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
The only reason to support BRD is not just high resolution...
I think its the capacity...

A whole movie series in DVD video quality can be fitted in a single Blu-Ray Disc.
I will love to have A blue-ray Disc writer.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
gx_saurav said:
Anyone who has remotely studied the H.264 algorithm & HD content delivery mechanism can simply clarify that even without HDCP support in hardware, Blu Ray Disks will play at the resolution of 720X480 which is that of DVD. However, due it H.264 Codec coupled with Higher Bitrate then a DVD, the quality of lowest Quality HD DVD Content is better then DVD.
Its irrelevant.
Nothing stops people from making another codec on par with HD-DVD/BlueRay quality, and which is patent free. Remember Vorbis? I dont remember who was that guy on this forum going all ga-ga over VP6 codec?

gx_saurav said:
First, learn to laugh at the whats humorous & stupid, then say something.:D
right.
tell me more jokes.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
GNUrag said:
Its irrelevant.
Nothing stops people from making another codec on par with HD-DVD/BlueRay quality, and which is patent free. Remember Vorbis? I dont remember who was that guy on this forum going all ga-ga over VP6 codec?
Yup, nothing stops. So? What does a new codec has to do with the statement of mine you quoted. If someone wants to make a new codec, do so. What I said was why HD DVD is better then DVD even at DVD resolution & without HDCP/HDMI

tell me more jokes.
You reply to my post, which have no connection.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
storing data on 4GB dvd itself is too much of pain... and once they are written, they cannot be used for long period like cd... accessing/reading 4 gb data itself takes too much time... and often gives CRC error, one of the major draw backs of dvds. blu ray disc will b flop.

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
yeah the matter is quite complex as far as I am concerned....and @vish786,u are correct I lost some dvds just like tat without even a scratch....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom