block windows automatic updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
we have linksys WRT54G2 router @ gateway level in our office from where internet is shared.

since its a RnD hub people install win2k3/winxp pratically every second day. though we could make unattended installations with automatic windows updates turned off, there are still virtualization softwares which turn it back on and this hogs the network.
i want to block windows automatic updates right from the router itself!

i see windows automatic updates uses ports 80 and 443. so is there a way to still block it?

swatkat

Technomancer
Would this work?
*www.associatedcontent.com/article/1609773/how_to_block_websites_using_your_home.html?cat=25

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
thanks for your reply swatkat.
i think the link gives how to block but not what to block ... do you know which site is contacted when windows automatic updates is running?
may be netstat wud help me ... i will try it ... if u have a better answer please let me know
thanks again

v-6mata

Right off the assembly line
Hi Just try to disable the "Automatic update" or "Windows update" service from services.msc. This will help. If you want to block it from the router itself... then you need to configure the router settings to block www.update.microsoft.com or try to find out the IP address for www.update.microsoft.com and block the IP address in the IP filtering in the router.

I guess this would help.

Regards,
v-6mata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom