Black screen on win 7 boot

pgcp

Right off the assembly line
acer aspire latop with 4 GB ram , 1 GB graphics, 500 GB HDD.

Black screen appears on startup.

Tried the following to bring back the system to life :-

1) Used bootable windows 7 flash drive.
Outcome : the system is stuck at windows logo

2) Used bootable ubuntu flash drive (took more than usual time to boot)
Outcome : partitions of windows are visible but on clicking, system hangs & after some time error pops up that it cant be mounted. (this happens with all the windows partitions)

3) used hiren boot cd (latest)
a) mini windows xp : tried multiple times , gets stuck in the beginning. a few times desktop appears (after keeping the system idle for 3-4 hours, still nothing can be done. still the cursor appears all the times & can be moved)

b)parted magic recovery environment
all partitions are visible but unable to mount any of them
error : Finished with error (exit status 13)

c)memory diagnostics
kept the tests running for >4 hours : no problem found
(final test (6th pass)was still running when i aborted the operation)

d) fix ntldr missing (didnt get any such error still tried it out of frustration)
hal.dll missing error

The data is important & without any backup. So its very important to recover it.
Earlier i thought that the hard disk has crashed but the memory tests suggest otherwise.

any suggestions??

p.s : all the bootable flash drives were working fine as i checked them on an another system

- - - Updated - - -

also tried safe modes, last known good configuration etc...
didnt work.

Just now, i was able to mount one of the 3 main partitions (using hiren boot cd - parted magic).
But its too slow copied folder of 250 MB into a flash drive . wasnt able to copy it fully even after 30 minutes.
Tried opening folders in that partition but nothing shows up & the system hangs.

Last edited:

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi pgcp,

As per my understanding, it may be a HDD issue. To confirm the problem, I'd suggest you to try the hardware utility software to check the HDD bad sectors. After test the HDD, please share the status.

Top Bottom